Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Grammar
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

My "rr" and "r-" is too guttural. How to shift forward?

This is the place for questions about conjugations, verb tenses, adverbs, adjectives, word order, syntax and other grammar questions for English or Spanish.

Old June 18, 2014, 04:25 PM
Opal

Native Language: English
msquaredb is on a distinguished road
My "rr" and "r-" is too guttural. How to shift forward?

Didn't see a section for pronunciation, so I posted here.

I feel like the sound of my "rr"s and "r-"s and the "rolling" that I do come more from the back of my throat rather than the front where my tongue is positioned on the alveolar ridge. It sounds very similar and has been fooling my Spanish teachers for years, but I feel like its not right and it is unwieldy in some words. I think it may sound a little more guttural than it should, so I want to learn the proper way. I have tried so hard to get the tip of my tongue to vibrate against my alveolar ridge, but I absolutely can't. My tongue is too stiff and if I relax it, then it seems the air just escapes my mouth from other places.

I feel like my tongue does vibrate with my current method, but not as much as I would expect or have been told to expect based on classes and tutorial videos. Sometimes I wonder if I am actually doing it right and I just think it is too guttural. Any tips, exercise, or tutorials would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I think that I do roll my "r"s with the tip of my tongue when saying the practice words of "itri" and "indri" because the preceding "t" and "n" have already positioned my tongue in the right place. However, words like perro and corro cause the roll to come more from the back of my throat because the preceding vowels are formed in the back of the throat.

Last edited by msquaredb; June 18, 2014 at 04:42 PM.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old June 18, 2014, 05:28 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
It took me a long time to get it right, and some profess that they'll never get it right, so don't despair. There is at least one thread that talks about how to roll an 'r'. Let me see if I can find it. ... Here's one. Here's another.

Last edited by Rusty; June 18, 2014 at 05:35 PM.
Old June 18, 2014, 05:34 PM
Opal

Native Language: English
Thomson is on a distinguished road
Try concentrating on the vowel before the r/rr. Really emphasize it. When it comes to the r/rr, stretch your mouth side-to-side.

The reason you emphasize the vowel before is it will get the timing right. If you wait until you get to the r/rr, the rolling will come late and sound clumsy. like you are adding it on, not natural.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: