Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Teaching and Learning Techniques

Frustration With Learning

Teaching methodology, learning techniques, linguistics-- any of the various aspect of learning or teaching a foreign language.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 17, 2021, 10:24 AM
Opal

DenverGuy is on a distinguished road
Frustration With Learning

I started with a teacher 6 years ago. I have been working with the same one for the last 4 years. And for the past year I have been doing two sessions per week on Skype. We are working with a book. I study, go through the tests, memorize words, conjugations, etc. She says that I am at the intermediate level. The truth is that I can barely read a Spanish sentence without getting stuck on a word I haven't seen, an idiom, verb tense, etc. And I can forget about having much of a conversation with anyone. Watching and understanding a Spanish TV show? Nope.

And there is little to no review. I had to look up "tal vez" today because I haven't seen it in a while. Working through the book is dry and boring.

I did the Rocket Spanish video online course, but that is all about memorization.

I have seen a lot of the YouTube Spanish teachers, but how to get a handle on this seems more confusing than ever.

I just e-mailed the teacher and have told her that I am backing off for now. I'm just really frustrated that I'm not further along.

Any suggestions for a better path? Thanks.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: