Old July 08, 2013, 10:39 AM
Opal

Native Language: English
radiocycle is on a distinguished road
Hola from Morro Bay

Hello All! I'm Ross, a 65 year old retired guy and I live here in Morro Bay CA with my main squeeze Jean. We love traveling to Mexico when we can and have done several bicycle tours there.

My gf Jean knows some Spanish so we get along quite well there, but I would love to be able to join the conversation! I know I will be able to learn so much more if I can speak and understand the language.

My attempts to learn Spanish in the past have been disheartening to say the least. First off, unlike many people in the US I have never had any foreign language in any of my schooling. So I can't simply 'brush up' on the Spanish that I once knew; so I am starting as a total beginner. I did try an Adult School Spanish class a couple of years ago and it was a horrible experience. Most folks in there came in with at least some basic understanding of Spanish and so they quickly left me in the dust. Then we moved on to the grammar... Even with the book 'Spanish Is Fun' I quickly fell behind. The instructor seemed mostly interested in joking with the 'quickest' segment of the class and so I quickly began to feel 'left out' and discouraged.

I've been considering taking 'immersion' type classes where we would go to Mexico for a few weeks and live with a family while going to Spanish school. But it would sure be nice if I could pick up some language ability here before we go to Mexico again and that's why I'm looking around the web now.

Hope I haven't gone on too long for an introduction. This looks like a very fun and informative web site!

Ross
aka: radio

Last edited by AngelicaDeAlquezar; July 08, 2013 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Removed link.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old July 08, 2013, 12:14 PM
Opal

Native Language: Portuguese
Alik is on a distinguished road
Hello Ross

Welcome to the forums! I'm new here too myself :P

I've been fortunate to have good teachers who taught a course for absolute beginners. Have you ever considered private tutoring? The Mexico idea sound pretty cool. No easier way of learning I'd imagine.
Old July 08, 2013, 02:04 PM
Pearl

Native Language: German, Serbian & Albanian
Premium is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the forums, Ross!
Old July 08, 2013, 05:09 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Welcome, radio!
Old July 09, 2013, 04:34 PM
Emerald

Native Language: inglés y español).
Villa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiocycle View Post
Hello All! I'm Ross, a 65 year old retired guy and I live here in Morro Bay CA with my main squeeze Jean. We love traveling to Mexico when we can and have done several bicycle tours there.

My gf Jean knows some Spanish so we get along quite well there, but I would love to be able to join the conversation! I know I will be able to learn so much more if I can speak and understand the language.

My attempts to learn Spanish in the past have been disheartening to say the least. First off, unlike many people in the US I have never had any foreign language in any of my schooling. So I can't simply 'brush up' on the Spanish that I once knew; so I am starting as a total beginner. I did try an Adult School Spanish class a couple of years ago and it was a horrible experience. Most folks in there came in with at least some basic understanding of Spanish and so they quickly left me in the dust. Then we moved on to the grammar... Even with the book 'Spanish Is Fun' I quickly fell behind. The instructor seemed mostly interested in joking with the 'quickest' segment of the class and so I quickly began to feel 'left out' and discouraged.

I've been considering taking 'immersion' type classes where we would go to Mexico for a few weeks and live with a family while going to Spanish school. But it would sure be nice if I could pick up some language ability here before we go to Mexico again and that's why I'm looking around the web now.

Hope I haven't gone on too long for an introduction. This looks like a very fun and informative web site!

Ross
aka: radio
Hola Ross. Nunca es tarde para aprender. It's never to late to learn. I know two ladies 67 and 72 years old that learned their second language better than most people half their age.

I watch 4 Mexican soap operas every night. Found out watching them is the best and easiest way to learn Spanish and gratis/free too.
Old July 09, 2013, 07:51 PM
Opal

Native Language: English
radiocycle is on a distinguished road
Thanks guys!

Great ideas, I bet I could find something like soaps on our basic TV channels.
I should also search around here and see what folks think about the various language programs on CD and DVD. I've got a Pimsleur beginning set of 16 lessons to try out. Of course they all make big claims but I know it's mainly up to me. I've also been looking over Craig's List to see about one-on-one tutoring, which seems like a great idea.

r

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: