Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Translations
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Práctica con "para" (Part Four)

If you need help translating a sentence or longer piece of text, use this forum. For translations or definitions of a single word or idiom, use the vocabulary forum.

Old March 02, 2009, 11:29 AM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
I know the feeling about mixing language variations... my English limps due to American and British differences I have never been able to discern.

...But I think you'll be well understood in Lima.

It's a shame that the trip to Mexico has been cancelled, but as my grandfather used to say: "hay más tiempo que vida" -> there will be another chance.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old March 02, 2009, 05:31 PM
Diamond

Native Language: American English (Northeastern US)
laepelba is on a distinguished road
Brits speak "proper" English (according to them). Yankees, er, um, Americans speak "lesser" English. (According to the Brits.) I had more difficulty understanding the British speaking (their) English in London than I had understanding the French and the Danes in their respective countries when they were speaking English to me on a trip I made to Europe a few years ago. If you ever have questions about the differences, feel free to ask.
Old March 02, 2009, 05:47 PM
Obsidiana

I have trouble understanding everyone... people should communicate only by writing

And thanks for the offer... I will certainly be asking.
Old March 02, 2009, 11:19 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by laepelba View Post
Not necessarily miserable. I'm what they call "type A" - it's more like I'm driven to focus on the tedious details. If I ignore the urge, that's when I become miserable. :P
I understand the feeling. And all I can say is: Suite yourself. or some of my friends would say "knock yourself down" witit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by laepelba View Post
Another question for you both. Returning to #4.... can I use "canosa" for "grey-haired"? And is "canosa" used with "ser"?

Like so:
- Para entonces, yo seré canosa.
- Para esa época, yo seré canosa.
No, you can use it with estar or tener, that's it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicaDeAlquezar View Post
I think I would prefer "estaré canosa"...
Still, a little nuance: if I hear about someone "está canoso", it means they're young but have a lot of grey hairs... however the word "canas" by itself is immediately associated with age. (That's why I suggested "tendré canas").
"Un hombre/una mujer que (ya) peina canas" is an old person.
*"peinar canas" (it's an expression by itself) = "to comb grey hairs"

And a life lesson to estimate someone's age: "La cana engaña, el diente miente y la arruga desengaña" (≈"the Grey hair deceives, the tooth lies and the wrinkle reveals the truth").
Ah! Semantics. Don't you love it!

When I came to the US, I was 25 y.o, I had grey hair already.
I started at 17 y.o.

Did not bring any wisdom though... as some of you can attest.

Last edited by Rusty; March 03, 2009 at 08:24 AM.
Old March 03, 2009, 06:47 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Wink

Quote:
I know the feeling about mixing language variations... my English limps due to American and British differences I have never been able to discern.

...But I think you'll be well understood in Lima.

It's a shame that the trip to Mexico has been cancelled, but as my grandfather used to say: "hay más tiempo que vida" -> there will be another chance.
I have a question for you.

You know a lot English right. Then you are able to speak at English with someone or only you know to write the language.

I asking you this because. I have tried to speak with the people that knows English for telephone really it's hard for me. Because they speak very fast and sometimes I don't archieve understand them. Do you know some way to learn to speak English?

Please. I'm getting my major endeavor in this language because I love it. But sometimes I need hints of you.

In spite of that I have tried to speak with the American people sometimes I archieve understand the people for telephone right. But my purposes even not are ready. I began in this issues since one year ago. But still I'm no able to speak at English with someone.
Old March 03, 2009, 09:47 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
It takes a lot of practice to speak English (or whatever language you're learning). Find someone you can practice with often. Tienes que hablar lo más posible para poder lograr tu meta.
Old March 04, 2009, 09:39 AM
Obsidiana

@Crotalito: Rusty is very right. The only way to improve is to study and practice, practice, practice.

I'm not good at speaking, but there are tips that have helped me improve: watch foreign TV and movies (preferably without subtitles, or with English subtitles); hear music and try to write the lyrics you understand; repeat sentences aloud... and you have an extra possibility to talk to native speakers: use the instant messengers with the microphone on.
Old March 05, 2009, 07:38 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
@Crotalito: Rusty is very right. The only way to improve is to study and practice, practice, practice.

I'm not good at speaking, but there are tips that have helped me improve: watch foreign TV and movies (preferably without subtitles, or with English subtitles); hear music and try to write the lyrics you understand; repeat sentences aloud... and you have an extra possibility to talk to native speakers: use the instant messengers with the microphone on.

One thing that I am against, is watching TV with any subtitles. Because TV is supposed to be watched and heard, not read. :-)

I always make that point with people that want to learn any language.

Old March 05, 2009, 10:28 AM
Diamond

Native Language: American English (Northeastern US)
laepelba is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chileno View Post
One thing that I am against, is watching TV with any subtitles. Because TV is supposed to be watched and heard, not read. :-)

I always make that point with people that want to learn any language.

Actually, I have to say that I try to do some of both - with subtitles and without. The subtitles help me understand the different accents. In fact, I've come to notice when the subtitles don't match the actual lines in the program. Then I'll turn the subtitles off. They really help for beginners like me, though! [Malila knows I'm talking about Mario.......]
Old March 05, 2009, 11:15 AM
Obsidiana

@Lou Ann: Watching Mario won't help you much with learning anything else than ...ahm... aesthetics...

As for subtitles, they will be turned off as soon as you feel more confident to understand most of what you hear.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: