Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Teaching and Learning Techniques
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Una Pregunta

Teaching methodology, learning techniques, linguistics-- any of the various aspect of learning or teaching a foreign language.

Old January 06, 2010, 12:02 PM
Opal

Native Language: English
seosamh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrOtALiTo View Post
Yes I understand you, as you know, my situation is similar to your case. I have around three years of learning and studying English, and well, I have only achieved the level that you see in my posts or the last post I made during all that time.

Now someone told me one day, that if you want to learn a language, you should try to read books and magazines every day . Also, if you can chat with someone everyday it's better than only writing in English.

Perhaps you should give more attention to movies, you need to improve your vocabulary more, sometimes Spanish is a little hard to understand many of the different words that exist in speech. I have the same trouble, sometimes I forget the words and I don't really know if I have made alot of mistakes in this post, but it is the case that we need to practice a lot.

I recommend to you that if you practice speaking with someone it's better, so I believe that in one year, at the most, you will be able to speak with someone in Spanish.
sí, a aprender una lengua es algo muy difícil, necesitamos practicar mucho y un día sabemos suficiente!

he hecho unos cambios a tu parrafo como si lo escribo. quizas no ingles perfecto pero espero que te ayudo.

Last edited by seosamh; January 06, 2010 at 12:06 PM.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old January 06, 2010, 01:12 PM
Diamond

Native Language: American English (Northeastern US)
laepelba is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chileno View Post
That doesn't mean anything really... You see, I "self-selected" to smoke for a lot of years and now I do not feel too good.

I am talking about something that is natural, instinctive. We might think whatever, and that doesn't make it natural or instinctive, even if you think it is.
When I say self selected learning styles, I don't mean chosen activities. I mean some people learn better by writing, some by listening. Some people learn better with a room full of bright light, some learn better in a dim room with a single lamp immediately over their work. Some people work best with music in the background. Some people need absolute silence.

Personally, I learn best by listening to lectures and taking lots of notes and re-reading my notes. That does NOT work best for most people.

The thing that is my biggest pet peeve as an educator is that the education system in the United States is designed to create success for caucasian males from the middle- to upper-class. There are an awful lot of extremely intelligent students, full of great potential, who simply can NOT learn the way "school" is presented to them.

The GOAL for learning is SUCCESS. You and I might take two different paths to success, but if we both get there (ethically), then what does it matter if I over-analyze, read sub-titles, and try to learn without translating? I am not telling you that you are learning the "wrong" way..... For me, success will be when I can read and write and converse in a generally fluent and intelligent Spanish - at a level somewhere between "comfortable" informal Spanish and the very-correct educated Spanish used at a formal level.

When I ask questions in a certain direction, it's because those are the answers that will most help me achieve my successes. I GREATLY APPRECIATE when you make suggestions that I might be chasing down a wrong path. But, at some point, I need to be able to find a balance between what Hernan thinks is going to help me and what I know to be my best approach to learning something.

What I did instinctively as a child (with a child's brain, emotions, social skills, goals, ambitions) is different than what I do instinctively as an adult. And I'm GLAD about that!

One of the things that I have always taken issue with is when adults are told that learning a language the way a child does is the best way. That might work for some adults, but it doesn't make sense. The developmental part of a child's brain is poised for language-learning. Developmentally, an adult's brain is not at all poised for language-learning, and is thus a rather artificial process. This is why I am always looking for the method that will work best for ME, seeing as I am forcing my brain to do something that it's not natural for it to do at my (advanced) age.....

I didn't mean for this to become a novel............. Sorry!!
Old January 06, 2010, 03:13 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by laepelba View Post
When I say self selected learning styles, I don't mean chosen activities. I mean some people learn better by writing, some by listening. Some people learn better with a room full of bright light, some learn better in a dim room with a single lamp immediately over their work. Some people work best with music in the background. Some people need absolute silence.

Personally, I learn best by listening to lectures and taking lots of notes and re-reading my notes. That does NOT work best for most people.

The thing that is my biggest pet peeve as an educator is that the education system in the United States is designed to create success for caucasian males from the middle- to upper-class. There are an awful lot of extremely intelligent students, full of great potential, who simply can NOT learn the way "school" is presented to them.

The GOAL for learning is SUCCESS. You and I might take two different paths to success, but if we both get there (ethically), then what does it matter if I over-analyze, read sub-titles, and try to learn without translating? I am not telling you that you are learning the "wrong" way..... For me, success will be when I can read and write and converse in a generally fluent and intelligent Spanish - at a level somewhere between "comfortable" informal Spanish and the very-correct educated Spanish used at a formal level.

When I ask questions in a certain direction, it's because those are the answers that will most help me achieve my successes. I GREATLY APPRECIATE when you make suggestions that I might be chasing down a wrong path. But, at some point, I need to be able to find a balance between what Hernan thinks is going to help me and what I know to be my best approach to learning something.

What I did instinctively as a child (with a child's brain, emotions, social skills, goals, ambitions) is different than what I do instinctively as an adult. And I'm GLAD about that!

One of the things that I have always taken issue with is when adults are told that learning a language the way a child does is the best way. That might work for some adults, but it doesn't make sense. The developmental part of a child's brain is poised for language-learning. Developmentally, an adult's brain is not at all poised for language-learning, and is thus a rather artificial process. This is why I am always looking for the method that will work best for ME, seeing as I am forcing my brain to do something that it's not natural for it to do at my (advanced) age.....

I didn't mean for this to become a novel............. Sorry!!

Jeopardy time!

What's the meaning of subjectivity...

Just a point of view....
Old January 06, 2010, 07:57 PM
Diamond

Native Language: American English (Northeastern US)
laepelba is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Jeopardy time!

What's the meaning of subjectivity...

Just a point of view....
¡Tocado!
Old January 06, 2010, 09:39 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by seosamh View Post
sí, a aprender una lengua es algo muy difícil, necesitamos practicar mucho y un día sabemos suficiente!

he hecho unos cambios a tu parrafo como si lo escribo. quizas no ingles perfecto pero espero que te ayudo.
Thank you for the support.

I inviting you that we continue themselves improving the language.

I believe that we're able to learn more the language.
Old January 06, 2010, 09:59 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by laepelba View Post
¡Tocado!
En español también se dice en francés.
Old February 01, 2010, 06:27 AM
Ruby

Native Language: Español y Panocho!
CarmenCarmona is on a distinguished road
Quote:
But what's more important, is the fact that our minds connect sounds with actions. At first is just a sound, but as the action repeats through the same or different scenes, repeatedly, the sound starts to make sense and you start to recognize it. It is simple, that's how babies start to acquire their native language instead of studying grammar first.

It doesn't have anything to do with being too analytical or anything of that sort. It's just the way everyone functions.

(Lou Ann?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perikles View Post
Yes, but it does not follow that this is how adults learn a second language. In fact the process is entirely different.
According to research in the field of Applied Linguistics, early views on First Language Acquisition (FLA) had a behaviourist perspective (focus on input) in the sense that they claimed that (i) Language is a habit structure where the child associates particular responses to certain stimuli; and that (ii) the child has a passive role when acquiring his native language because he just limit himself to imitation whereas environment has an active contribution.

However, that perspective was disregarded by mentalist theories (focus on processing of data, more specifically those of Chomsky) where it was argued that (i) Human beings have an inborn language acquisition device which they use for making hypotheses; and that (ii) the child has an active role given that he goes through the processes of hypothesis formulation and hypothesis testing in order to construct his own language from the linguistic data offered by the environment, where exposure is paramount. Hence we find children’s errors such as ‘sheeps’ or ‘goed’, where no imitation is involved.

As a consequence, mentalist theories were applied to the field of Second Language Acquisition (SLA) where people’s idiosyncratic linguistic system at a particular stage in his language development is called ‘Interlanguage’.

As a result, two main theories rose: the ‘Interlanguage Hypothesis’ and the ‘Creative Construction Hypothesis’, both claiming that FLA and SLA are similar or identical processes.

Nevertheless, they didn’t take into account other important variables, such as cross-linguistic transfer, individual factors (age, motivation, aptitude, gender…) and external factors (acquisitional context, etc), for the variation observed either among L2 learners or between L1 and L2 acquirers.

My conclusion is: FLA and SLA are very similar processes in terms that learners follow more or less the same route of development (different transitional stages) but the rate of development (the speed at which learners go through the different transitional stages) is influenced by internal as well as external factors, so in this case Chileno is closer to the actual explanation, although not totally right!
Old February 01, 2010, 07:16 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
Perikles is on a distinguished road
That is all very well, but surely the environment for SLA is usually totally different. If you immersed an adult into a culture where the second language was all he/she heard, I could believe it. But in practice, the second language is learned in a totally artificial manner with no immersion and only a superficial encounter with the spoken language.
Old February 01, 2010, 09:15 AM
Ruby

Native Language: Español y Panocho!
CarmenCarmona is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarmenCarmona View Post
My conclusion is: FLA and SLA are very similar processes in terms that learners follow more or less the same route of development (different transitional stages) but the rate of development (the speed at which learners go through the different transitional stages) is influenced by internal as well as external factors, so in this case Chileno is closer to the actual explanation, although not totally right!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perikles View Post
That is all very well, but surely the environment for SLA is usually totally different. If you immersed an adult into a culture where the second language was all he/she heard, I could believe it. But in practice, the second language is learned in a totally artificial manner with no immersion and only a superficial encounter with the spoken language.
There are two types of acquisitional contexts: naturalistic settings and educational settings, according to type of language internalization, external help and input available.

Naturalistic settings are:
1. Second language learning in majority language contexts. i.e: L2
learners of Spanish in Spain.
2. L2 learning in official language contexts. i.e: L2 learners of English in
Nigeria.
3. L2 learning in international contexts. i.e: Use of L2 English for
business communication in Japan.

Educational settings are:
1. Submersion. i.e: Immigrant children of African origin living in Spain and
being educated in Spanish schools.
2. Segregation. i.e: Immigrant children of African origin living in Spain and
being educated through the medium of Spanish in separate groups from
Spanish-speaking children.
3. Immersion in a) bilingual societies. i.e: Immersion programmes in
English-speaking areas of Canada in which children are educated in French
(the minority language); and in b) monolingual societies. i.e: Spanish
children being educated through the medium of French in Spain (e.g:
Lycée Français).
4. The language classroom: a) Second language classroom. i.e: Spanish
classes for international students at a Spanish university; and b) Foreign
language classroom. i.e: The teaching of English in Spanish secondary
schools.

As I mentioned before, mentalist views on SLA did not take into consideration this variable as well as many others.

However, it has been proved that there exists a natural sequence of development in L2 acquisition (very similar to FLA) regardless of the native and target language.

Researchers have conducted many studies on this issue, such as 'morpheme order studies' or 'developmental sequences studies'. In the latter, for example, it has been proved that in FLA there are 3 stages in the acquisition of negation:

Stage 1 --> 'No' and 'any' are tagged on to a word or phrase, either at the beginning or at the end. i.e: No go; No wipe finger; Any bath!...

Stage 2 --> The negative element is inserted into a more complex sentence. 'No, not & don't' are used although these forms do not vary for persons or tenses. i.e: He don't want it; He not bite you...

Stage 3 --> Production of correct forms of different verbs to suit person, number and tense.

L2 acquirers undergo practically the same stages, also in the formation of interrogatives and so on, so forth.

So...which practice are you talking about?!
Old February 01, 2010, 12:53 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
Perikles is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarmenCarmona View Post
4. The language classroom: a) Second language classroom. i.e: Spanish
classes for international students at a Spanish university; and b) Foreign
language classroom. i.e: The teaching of English in Spanish secondary
schools.

So...which practice are you talking about?!
If you are asking me, that one above.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: