Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Translations
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Muchos salieron bravos

If you need help translating a sentence or longer piece of text, use this forum. For translations or definitions of a single word or idiom, use the vocabulary forum.

Old February 26, 2013, 10:45 PM
Opal

somediego is on a distinguished road
Thank U Rusty!

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old February 27, 2013, 04:19 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
aleCcowaN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by somediego View Post
Nice as music, utterly horrible as milonga! A style mishap.

To give you the precise notion it is as typical as cowboys playing and singing jazz with their guitars beside the bonfire -like most things made by Broadway, Hollywood and other Crappywoods all around the world related to tango-. They simply can't get it.

The only thing I've seen in recent years from US' television that came close in style is this:

That tango, Malajunta, has a rhythm on the verge of milonga.

Here's a milonga:

Negra María

which is in the end music from tropical African roots. This particular piece is played in Negro style.
Old February 27, 2013, 07:38 AM
Opal

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleCcowaN View Post
Nice as music, utterly horrible as milonga! A style mishap.

To give you the precise notion it is as typical as cowboys playing and singing jazz with their guitars beside the bonfire -like most things made by Broadway, Hollywood and other Crappywoods all around the world related to tango-. They simply can't get it.

That tango, Malajunta, has a rhythm on the verge of milonga.

Here's a milonga:

Negra María

which is in the end music from tropical African roots. This particular piece is played in Negro style.

I see. If the the original milonga is like Negra Maria, I guess some change of the style happened in years. Like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTdztdLpJlk

As I haven't heard any milonga until recently, I'm Ok with all the styles.

Last edited by Rusty; February 27, 2013 at 03:33 PM. Reason: removed video from quoted material
Old February 27, 2013, 09:25 AM
Diamond

Quote:
I see. If the the original milonga is like Negra Maria, I guess some change of the style happened in years. Like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTdztdLpJlk

As I haven't heard any milonga until recently, I'm Ok with all the styles.
In spite of the name, that is a tango-canción. This video is an excellent example of tango being "spoken" instead of sung.

You're right, of course, about changes in style happened in decades, but you have to consider that the term milonga has a wide meaning: musically, it describes a sub-genre that provides the rhythmic base of candombe, combined similar Negro folk music from River Plate with tango; also milonga was in everyday language a social gathering where people dances, hence it describes also all the forms of tango that are suitable to dance. But, particularly, Borges uses "milonga" as a term equiparable to ode, and there's a message there: common local folks are capable to be the protagonists of a local epic which transcends the provincial level to connect with concerns that are common to mankind.

I wonder what would Borges write nowadays. One of the most impressive elements to me in "Milonga del marfil negro" was:

De tarde en tarde en el Sur
me mira un rostro moreno,
trabajado por los años
y a la vez triste y sereno

I was about 14 when I heard it first time, I lived there, the text had many layers and you could "see" exactly what he was saying: for instance, the last members of a lineage born in "el barrio del mondongo" that were fading away in a sea of racial mixing (It's incredible how Borges could convey a dozen meanings with a few words, simple ones). Today the same area has thousands and thousands of immigrants: those "negros" from Dominican Republic and Haiti share spaces with "negros en serio" coming mainly from Sierra Leone, Liberia, Senegal, Nigeria, Cameroon, Angola and many other countries, what turned the place into a noisy, messy and vibrant one (the dirtier part is just a general trend of the whole country).

EDIT: I've just remembered this typical milonga (it starts at 1:15)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjVuHpTzSUc

Last edited by aleCcowaN; February 27, 2013 at 11:42 AM.
Old February 27, 2013, 05:38 PM
Opal

Quote:
In spite of the name, that is a tango-canción. This video is an excellent example of tango being "spoken" instead of sung.

You're right, of course, about changes in style happened in decades, but you have to consider that the term milonga has a wide meaning: musically, it describes a sub-genre that provides the rhythmic base of candombe, combined similar Negro folk music from River Plate with tango; also milonga was in everyday language a social gathering where people dances, hence it describes also all the forms of tango that are suitable to dance. But, particularly, Borges uses "milonga" as a term equiparable to ode, and there's a message there: common local folks are capable to be the protagonists of a local epic which transcends the provincial level to connect with concerns that are common to mankind.

I wonder what would Borges write nowadays. One of the most impressive elements to me in "Milonga del marfil negro" was:

De tarde en tarde en el Sur
me mira un rostro moreno,
trabajado por los años
y a la vez triste y sereno

I was about 14 when I heard it first time, I lived there, the text had many layers and you could "see" exactly what he was saying: for instance, the last members of a lineage born in "el barrio del mondongo" that were fading away in a sea of racial mixing (It's incredible how Borges could convey a dozen meanings with a few words, simple ones). Today the same area has thousands and thousands of immigrants: those "negros" from Dominican Republic and Haiti share spaces with "negros en serio" coming mainly from Sierra Leone, Liberia, Senegal, Nigeria, Cameroon, Angola and many other countries, what turned the place into a noisy, messy and vibrant one (the dirtier part is just a general trend of the whole country).

EDIT: I've just remembered this typical milonga (it starts at 1:15)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjVuHpTzSUc

I think I got what you are saying. The world changes, and good things die everyday. I think all the milongas by Borges, like all his poems, are retrospective with a tint of sadness (but never overwhelmed by it), so the music created after the words (right?) is not party-like. I found some milongas of Borges on Youtube and they are all in slow and melancholic tunes.
Old February 28, 2013, 04:25 AM
Diamond

Quote:
I think I got what you are saying. The world changes, and good things die everyday. I think all the milongas by Borges, like all his poems, are retrospective with a tint of sadness (but never overwhelmed by it), so the music created after the words (right?) is not party-like. I found some milongas of Borges on Youtube and they are all in slow and melancholic tunes.
You got it, almost. Tango as a musical genre is melancholic, including milonga as a part of it. Not the quintessential melancholic musical genre, but only by a whisker. The Indian subjugated, dispossessed, ignored and left to his fate; the African snatched from his land and family to be thrown into slavery in a quite different world; the male immigrant failing to adapt, who had to live his life without love; everything tints tango with the mood of a chill, grey and rainy week.

You can tune up or down the melancholic content in every song. When you hear a song with lyrics by Borges you find a rhythm that follows the story and it is melancholic because it describes the past. But Borges called his poems "milongas" because they describe kind of odysseys, ancient tales and long ago gone contexts, and not because he had some rhythmic intention.

In the last video I posted you've probably seen the quick movements and change of directions that comes with a milonga. Well, any story including strife, changing circumstances or twists of fate are called milongas by the folk. "Basta de milongas" (stop being indecisive), "no me vengas con milongas" (I don't buy your excuses) and a lot of popular phrases are a proof of the attributes of the word.

So, everything evolves, but the fact that you hear what you hear when a "milonga" with lyrics by Borges is played, is not because of evolution but two different levels -the verbal one and the musical one- coexisting without a conflict needed to be resolved. And THAT is indeed an essential aspect of the culture behind all of it.
Old February 28, 2013, 07:46 AM
Opal

Thumbs up

Quote:
You got it, almost. Tango as a musical genre is melancholic, including milonga as a part of it. Not the quintessential melancholic musical genre, but only by a whisker. The Indian subjugated, dispossessed, ignored and left to his fate; the African snatched from his land and family to be thrown into slavery in a quite different world; the male immigrant failing to adapt, who had to live his life without love; everything tints tango with the mood of a chill, grey and rainy week.

You can tune up or down the melancholic content in every song. When you hear a song with lyrics by Borges you find a rhythm that follows the story and it is melancholic because it describes the past. But Borges called his poems "milongas" because they describe kind of odysseys, ancient tales and long ago gone contexts, and not because he had some rhythmic intention.

In the last video I posted you've probably seen the quick movements and change of directions that comes with a milonga. Well, any story including strife, changing circumstances or twists of fate are called milongas by the folk. "Basta de milongas" (stop being indecisive), "no me vengas con milongas" (I don't buy your excuses) and a lot of popular phrases are a proof of the attributes of the word.

So, everything evolves, but the fact that you hear what you hear when a "milonga" with lyrics by Borges is played, is not because of evolution but two different levels -the verbal one and the musical one- coexisting without a conflict needed to be resolved. And THAT is indeed an essential aspect of the culture behind all of it.
Thank you for the clarification, Alec. Everything (language, culture, history, music--as I'm not very sensitive of it) of milonga is deep to me. It's good to talk with someone in the know. Gracias!

Tags
borges, milonga

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: