Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Vocabulary > Idioms & Sayings
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

"de molde" idiomatic usage

An idiom is an expression whose meaning is not readily apparent based on the individual words in the expression. This forum is dedicated to discussing idioms and other sayings.

Old June 09, 2010, 08:50 PM
Pearl

Native Language: American English
wafflestomp is on a distinguished road
"de molde" idiomatic usage

I was listening to "si yo fuera chico" to try to listen to more Spanish to get my vocab and comprehension up and I understood the whole thing completely except for this one phrase.. here's how it went "Los chicos son de molde, y nosotras somos de corazón"

I've heard of de molde meaning like sort of listless and just like not changing.. but I think it means something else here because it doesn't seem to fit with that meaning in this context. "Boys are boring and we girls are from the heart" doesn't make sense to me.

Anyone help is appreciated!

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old June 09, 2010, 09:24 PM
Sapphire

Native Language: Español(Argentina)
ookami is on a distinguished road
Maybe: Boys are structured(mind) and we girls are from heart(passion)
Let's see others opinions.
Old June 10, 2010, 12:13 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Spanish (Castilian, peninsular)
JPablo is on a distinguished road
I tend to agree with Ookami... I checked other forums and a bit on the net, and the most plausible interpretation is that "boys [men] follow a 'mold', follow the established rules for them, and/or tend to act the 'all the same way', following a 'pattern', a 'mold'. Girls [women] on the other hand tend to be more intuitive, follow their hearths and I would say they are less 'robotic'..." (Quite a "generalization" and identification, as there are boys who are totally from the heart, and viceversa... but that's what the song says...)
In Spanish from Spain "de molde" is used to refer to "pan de molde" = tin or pan loaf (BrE), bread/loaf baked generally in a rectangular tin.
So even if one get the 'literal' picture of boys = [] and girls = , one would get the picture. After all, songs/poems can play with images, metaphors and convey many different feelings to each different person...
At any rate, that's my take and my . Hope it helps!
Old June 10, 2010, 01:01 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPablo View Post
I tend to agree with Ookami... I checked other forums and a bit on the net, and the most plausible interpretation is that "boys [men] follow a 'mold', follow the established rules for them, and/or tend to act the 'all the same way', following a 'pattern', a 'mold'. Girls [women] on the other hand tend to be more intuitive, follow their hearths and I would say they are less 'robotic'..." (Quite a "generalization" and identification, as there are boys who are totally from the heart, and viceversa... but that's what the song says...)
In Spanish from Spain "de molde" is used to refer to "pan de molde" = tin or pan loaf (BrE), bread/loaf baked generally in a rectangular tin.
So even if one get the 'literal' picture of boys = [] and girls = , one would get the picture. After all, songs/poems can play with images, metaphors and convey many different feelings to each different person...
At any rate, that's my take and my . Hope it helps!
Good explanation.
Old June 10, 2010, 01:36 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Spanish (Castilian, peninsular)
JPablo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by irmamar View Post
Good explanation.
Thank you! Glad to be of help!

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: