Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Teaching and Learning Techniques

How to Think in Spanish

Teaching methodology, learning techniques, linguistics-- any of the various aspect of learning or teaching a foreign language.

Old September 04, 2010, 11:37 AM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
@CrOtALiTo: Notebook or spiral notebook. Pad of paper or notepad can be used. Just like the Windows operating system has a writing program called Notepad.

I think that using an image to associate the word is the best thing. Sometimes it's difficult to retain the word without it. There are websites that have flash cards that are really helpful. They show a picture of a key and the word llave. It helps you set the word in your mind without thinking "key" and you start thinking llave instead. I have an Android powered phone and there is a program on it called StudyDroid. It is a flashcard application. You can build your own cards and even add images. Usually the words that I don't understand and go look up I have to look up again later because I haven't made that connection in my brain I guess.

TV and movies help a lot. When I first started listening to Spanish it sounded like gibberish. Now I don't understand a lot of words but it doesn't sound like gibberish and I can pick out a few words that I do recognize.
Yes I'm agree with you.

There're many ways to learn the language properly and well just I don't know about flash cards, I would like to know about them.

Please give me the website where I can get the flash card immediately.
And I can be sure with the flash cards can result easier to retain the words in your brain.

I have used that method during more of three years using the notepad or a word page, and it quite has worked for me.

But sometimes it's hard to search an specific word within of all the word wrote in the word page, I loss time and I haven't sometime the correct translation, already there're many word to have a several meanings in English.

Then if I can remind some words without use the word page, then it could result for me gorgeous in the moment.

Thank you for your advice.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old September 04, 2010, 12:57 PM
Pearl

Native Language: American English
Chris is on a distinguished road
Okay, I'm not sure what is allowed here but I'll post them and then if a mod removes them I'll send them to you in a PM or on facebook.

www.spanishdict.com - This website is really good for viewing flashcards. It has them in groups like "food" "body parts" and the like. It also has an image with the word and an audio of a person saying the word. This way you can be sure you are pronouncing it correctly.

www.livemocha.com - This one has a language course. Curso de idioma. It starts of pretty good but then just turns into a vocabulary lesson in the last few lessons. I liked it anyway.
Old September 04, 2010, 04:55 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Thank for the links.

I have meet the second choice or the second link.

I'm registered in the second website and inclusive I have a level in the website, I meet people in the website and they have helped me a lot of with many translations.

Thank you for the advices.
Old September 04, 2010, 07:41 PM
Ruby

Feliz is on a distinguished road
How to Think in Spanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
@Feliz: perdóname
You correctly suffixed the pronoun to the imperative (command), and I'm sure you pronounced the resulting word correctly. However, when a pronoun is suffixed to an imperative, we need to make sure the stressed syllable of the imperative is maintained even though a trailing syllable has "joined the ranks." This sometimes means that an accent needs to be written. Good job.
Rusty, Señor Speedy, Thanks for taking the time to explain this to me. I will keep it in mind the next time I see a pronoun attached to a word in the imperative - command - form. Yes, I pronounced the word correctly but only because of good audio on my DVD player when I was watching the movie. I wanted to put a right acute accent over the "o" in perdóname when I was writing the word even though I didn't know why. Obviously, I didn't. I'm only at Grammar Lesson 7 on the Study Spanish site. In lesson 4, I learned that accents could be dropped in certain situations, and I was given one example: when a noun goes from singular to plural. If those nouns end in -ión, drop the accent. Then examples were given, such as: el avión: los aviones; la conversation: las conversaciones; and the like. You see what I mean? I am just becoming acquainted with the fact that accents should be kept or dropped when the forms of some nouns change. Now, I need to remember why and in which instances. Thanks, again, I will remember and store this information for when it comes up in a future lesson. Very interesting!

Last edited by Rusty; September 04, 2010 at 07:49 PM. Reason: fixed quote
Old September 04, 2010, 07:44 PM
Señor Speedy

Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
¡No hay de qué! (You're welcome!)
Old September 04, 2010, 09:05 PM
Ruby

How to Think in Spanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by chileno View Post
That's why a recommend reading a lot and also watching movies without subtitling.
I read Spanish novels beyond my expertise and it is helping. I get up the nerve once in a while to watch a movie without sub-titles, as well. At the end of watching those movies without sub-titles, though, I feel that I should have understood more. I suppose that is normal to feel that way when learning. Watching movies without sub-titles is probably similar to reading beyond one's level of expertise. Maybe I should look at it like that. Hmm. I'll try that attitude for a while and see what happens.
Old September 04, 2010, 10:58 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feliz View Post
I read Spanish novels beyond my expertise and it is helping. I get up the nerve once in a while to watch a movie without sub-titles, as well. At the end of watching those movies without sub-titles, though, I feel that I should have understood more. I suppose that is normal to feel that way when learning. Watching movies without sub-titles is probably similar to reading beyond one's level of expertise. Maybe I should look at it like that. Hmm. I'll try that attitude for a while and see what happens.
You're right on some of your impressions. But this was my experience:

I started translating a novel from English to Spanish, Spanish being my native language. I wrote phrase after phrase translating each one of them to Spanish. I could tell in Spanish that there was something wrong with the translation since it is my native language, so back to the bilingual dictionary and rephrase and re-accommodate the phrase until I was understanding.

When watching movies I figured that if picked up a Spanish movie (my native language) and played it with the volume down, so that I couldn't hear anything, if I watched with intent, at the end of the movie I would understand so much, but something at least to get the gist of movie. So if I did it with a movie in English and the volume turned up, I would "hear" a blah blah that was incomprehensible at first but eventually it would become legible somewhat to my ears. Coupled with writing, it made a big difference.
I started to catch myself listening to words that I had written before and recognize them through the sound of the movies... etc...

I made my own method.
Old September 05, 2010, 05:09 AM
Emerald

Native Language: Bicol/Tagalog; English = second language
vita32 is on a distinguished road
Para gentes que ser aprender el engles, el escuchando de la musica americana desde 1950-1960 puedes ayudar a aprendes los liricos english porque esta es musica lento.
(For people who are learning English, listening to American music from 1960- 1970 can help you learn the English lyrics because these are slow music.)

Forgive me if I made so many errors in writing Spanish, but I have to try doing it on my own without the help of google.

Corregir mis errores por favor.
Gracias.
Old September 05, 2010, 10:48 AM
Ruby

How to Think in Spanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by chileno View Post
You're right on some of your impressions. But this was my experience:

When watching movies I figured that if picked up a Spanish movie (my native language) and played it with the volume down, so that I couldn't hear anything, if I watched with intent, at the end of the movie I would understand so much, but something at least to get the gist of movie. So if I did it with a movie in English and the volume turned up, I would "hear" a blah blah that was incomprehensible at first but eventually it would become legible somewhat to my ears. Coupled with writing, it made a big difference.
I started to catch myself listening to words that I had written before and recognize them through the sound of the movies... etc...

I made my own method.
My goal is to stop translating, to begin to dream in Spanish instead of what I'm doing now which is talking to people in my dreams "about" Spanish. Isn't that funny? I think what you are saying is that I will get the gist of the movie even with the volume turned down and without sub-titles. And if I watch a movie with the volume up, without sub-titles, that I will get more of the gist of the movie, some gibberish, but some of it will makes sense. Importantly, that what makes sense will have been gotten without translating. If I go back to watching movies with sub-titles, again, I will just be translating. I think that I understand now. (Creo que entiendo ahora.) Thanks for hanging in there with me until I got it. Movies provide a testing ground after all the studying, reading, practicing, and memorizing, but only if they're watched and heard without sub-titles--because sub-titling encourages translation--which is what "we" don't want. ¡Caramba!

Last edited by Feliz; September 05, 2010 at 12:34 PM. Reason: More natural flow of sentence structure
Old September 05, 2010, 11:12 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feliz View Post
My goal is to stop translating, to even begin to dream in Spanish instead of what I'm doing now which is talking to people in my dreams "about" Spanish. Isn't that funny? I think what you are saying is that I will get the gist of the movie with the volume down even when there are no sub-titles. That, if I watch a movie with the volume up and without sub-titles, that I will get more of the gist of the movie and gibberish that will sometimes makes sense. And that what makes sense will have been gotten without translating. And, if I go back to watching movies with sub-titles, again, that I will just be translating. I think that I understand now. (Creo que entiendo ahora.) Thanks for hanging in there with me until I got it. Movies provides a testing ground after all the studying, reading, practicing, and memorizing, if they're watched and heard without sub-titles--because sub-titling encourages translation. ¡Caramba!
Close but not cigar.

Read and translate novels (books) as movies are meant to be watched and heard.

By watching and listening movies, even though what you listen to does not mean anything, eventually you'll "hear" and "understand" more by the fact that you have been reading and translating novels.

And you are welcome.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: