Old October 23, 2010, 04:58 PM
Ruby

Alex is on a distinguished road
Smile Books: what are you reading?

Hi there!
I would like to talk about one of the things I love most: books. I'm always looking for new stuffto read. So, what are you reading right now, or what was the last book you read?

Was It good? Would you recommend it?

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old October 23, 2010, 07:22 PM

Native Language: English, Chinese
Jessica is on a distinguished road
Reading the last Harry Potter book for the billionth time
Old October 23, 2010, 07:57 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Spanish (Castilian, peninsular)
JPablo is on a distinguished road
Finishing (I hope soon...) El general en su laberinto (Gabriel García Márquez) and starting soon Magnificent Desolation (by Buzz Aldrin)

Then, yes, I want to tackle the whole Harry Potter series (only read or listened 2 or 3 books) (which I liked very much) and I want to tackle as well Mission Earth by L. Ron Hubbard. (Only read The Invaders Plan on that 10 volume masterpiece... and it is one awesome Sci-Fi one...)
Old October 24, 2010, 03:31 AM
Ankh-Morpork's citizen

Native Language: Spanish (Spain)
sosia has a spectacular aura aboutsosia has a spectacular aura about
recently:
the Millenium trilogy Stieg Larsson: it does really catch you. A little too much violence for me but worth to read in a cheap version, because once read......
the name of the wind (Rothfuss), I recommend it if you like Tolkien books, it's something new. But remember it's the first of three.
Las legiones malditas (Santiago Posteguillo): 2nd book, long but good. Only if you like romans
Monstruous regiment, Terry Prattchet. Always a laugh for sure, and some deeper inside.

now:
Sparkling Cyanid (Agata Christie): she always surprises me. I'm still trying to find how she does it, but I'm clueless.....

next:
I suppose Imperium (Robert Harris) but I still have to buy it....
saludos

Last edited by sosia; October 24, 2010 at 03:34 AM.
Old October 24, 2010, 06:35 AM
Ruby

Alex is on a distinguished road
JP, I only read "100 años de soledad" and "Crónicas de una muerte anunciada" by García Marquez, I like them very much, how about the one you're reading? Is it good?

Sosia, I was actually planning to start reading the "The name of the wind" or "A game of thrones" by George R. R. Martin. Still haven't decided wich one, they both look tempting.

Old October 24, 2010, 04:15 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
I'm reading a toy story book, because my children like it, then I bought a book about that caricature in English, and when I'm reading them, I translate the best I can do it.

I know that is very childish but that is easier for read when you haven't enough experience in the thread.

Last edited by CrOtALiTo; October 24, 2010 at 04:17 PM.
Old October 24, 2010, 04:22 PM
Diamond

I love "El general en su laberinto" even if the subject is a bit "sad" he is able to put you there with Bolívar in a way that is amazing. (I have read "The four Seasons of Manuela" about Manuela Sáenz and Bolívar and also "Liberator of a Contient" also on Bolívar... (I love anything having to do with Bolívar, as he was such a champion of Freedom...)

When I read "Crónica de una muerte anunciada" I liked the way he writes, but I have a "bad memory" on it, i.e., it was so graphic in some parts at one point I almost got to the point of throwing up! (No kidding... I think you have to have quite a stomach for some sections... figuratively and literally!)

Ah, another one that I bought a while ago and is sitting there waiting for me to read is "La sombra del viento". (Probably will be right after the Aldrin one.)

Another good one is Amelie Nothomb (La metafísica de los tubos). I think she is a genius... and her books are not too long.

Ah, and a short one and a lot of fun and laughter, "Sin noticias de Gurb".

Last edited by JPablo; October 24, 2010 at 11:37 PM. Reason: fix typo
Old October 24, 2010, 07:30 PM

Native Language: English, Chinese
Jessica is on a distinguished road
@JPablo: I read the whole series and also you can go to youtube to listen to the audiobooks...I've listened to most of the series there too
Old October 24, 2010, 07:51 PM
Diamond

@Wow, that's great. The ones I read or listened in audiobook seem to me masterpieces!
I also love the way Jim Dale performs the different characters.

I listened to the first book by a very good Spanish Voice Actor, and if you want to practice Spanish, I recommend it to you. Since you already know the plot and the difficult words in English, you can definitely practice Spanish by listening to the translated version. I believe it is by "Editorial Salamandra" (the Spanish publishing house.) (That's the Spain version. There may be a Mexican or Latin American version too...)

Another good read (in Spanish) is Arturo Pérez Reverte, and Antonio Muñoz Molina... in terms of other current writers. I like the "Capitán Alatriste" series.

Oh, I forgot to mention a very fast reading and a lot of fun, by L. Ron Hubbard, I enjoyed very much "Under the Black Ensign". It's about 2 hours plus of audio program, and you definitely practice your English and learn a lot of lexical wealth from it, while enjoying yourself... (If you like pirates, that one is a great story) (All the "Stories from the Golden Age" by LRH are a lot of fun.) (I recommend these to Crotalito too!)

Last edited by JPablo; October 24, 2010 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Added additional books recently read/listened to
Old October 25, 2010, 08:07 AM
Ruby

Native Language: Spanish
spacemaker is on a distinguished road
Ahora estoy leyendo "Dieciséis esbozos de mí mismo" Autobiografía crítica de Bernard Shaw y "Pulpos y hombres" de Eugenio Alarco, un historiador y pensador peruano.

Now I am reading "Sixteen Self Sketches" by Bernard Shaw and "Octopus and men" by Eugenio Alarco, a peruvian historian and thinker.

Last edited by spacemaker; October 25, 2010 at 08:11 AM.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: