Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Teaching and Learning Techniques

¡Los españoles hablan tan rápidamente! ¡Qué difícil comprender las palabras!

Teaching methodology, learning techniques, linguistics-- any of the various aspect of learning or teaching a foreign language.

Old August 14, 2012, 02:08 PM
Pearl

Native Language: American English
Awaken is on a distinguished road
You may consider a language pen pal. They have modern day versions as Sue suggested where you can actually chat with them across the globe. That way you can get used to hearing the spoken word. Also, if there is something that is hard to understand, the other person can write/type the word. Maybe something like Lang-8 or maybe a member of this forum who has adequate skills.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old August 15, 2012, 05:25 PM
Opal

Native Language: US English
kc9qii is on a distinguished road
Try SharedTalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profesoradeespañol View Post
This happens to me in English sometimes. I just keep on listening, but I don't know how much movies I have to watch to understand natives when they speak with each other. I am a little frustrated. I can't go to USA or Great Britain and spend there a lot of time trying to improve English and I don't know if I can speak like a bilingual just watching movies and listening and reading. I want to pass a Proficiency test, but I don't know if I can do it on my own. Have you got some suggestions?
I reccomend trying http://sharedtalk.com I was in a similar situation with Spanish and I think alot of people trying to learn new languages are too but this site is free and ran by Rosetta Stone Iv met a few people on here including someone from Colombia with who I now talk to regulary via Skype its very useful for expanding your speaking abilities.
Old August 15, 2012, 09:35 PM
Pearl

Native Language: English
caliber1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Kitten View Post
No magic formulas, then? Just kidding. Thanks! I'll just keep listening and practicing.

Another thing is to sit with native speakers whenever possible. I did this and when I heard a word that I wanted to know, I would ask. Little by little things started making more sense.
Old August 16, 2012, 01:52 AM
Opal

Profesoradeespañol is on a distinguished road
Smile

Thanks everyone, you have very good ideas! I think I will try to get time between my studies and work and try to find English speaking expats in where I live and maybe work as a guide for free to practise language.
Old August 16, 2012, 10:32 AM
rule 1: gravity

poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Being English proficient does not mean speaking like a native. Many English speakers do not understand other English speakers,
y el mismo problema existe entre hispanos. A lo mejor, nunca vas a poder hablar como un nativo--especialmente si trata duro de hacerlo. Fluidez en un idioma viene poco a poco y llega (si acaso llega) de modo zen.
Old September 02, 2012, 03:09 AM
Emerald

Native Language: castellano (second language Italian)
pinosilano is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profesoradeespañol View Post
This happens to me in English sometimes.
A mi pasa siempre, en cambio. Deseo escuchar las noticias de la CNN USA y escucho hablar personas como si tuviesen una patata caliente en la boca, y cuando entiendo una palabra o una frase corta quedo tan contento que me distraigo y no sigo el resto.
Old September 02, 2012, 09:33 PM
Emerald

Glen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Kitten View Post
No magic formulas, then? Just kidding. Thanks! I'll just keep listening and practicing.
One of the best hints I ever got was to pay attention to the syllables rather than try to comprehend the entire word as a whole. It seems to work because the vowel sounds - and the consonants - of Spanish are more consistent than are those of English. Listening to singers used to be frustrating until I latched onto that bit of advice. Good Luck to you!
Old September 18, 2012, 05:49 PM
Ruby

Native Language: Spanish
Kunstliebhaber is on a distinguished road
I am a native Latin American Spanish speaker and I am used to speak like people do here, but when I listen to Spaniards it's difficult to me to understand them, I can't say that I don't understand, of course I do it perfectly, but I feel it rough and unnatural to me.

I guess that a Spaniard would feel the same when hearing a Latino speaking.
Old September 19, 2012, 12:07 AM
Opal

Amara is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen View Post
One of the best hints I ever got was to pay attention to the syllables rather than try to comprehend the entire word as a whole. It seems to work because the vowel sounds - and the consonants - of Spanish are more consistent than are those of English. Listening to singers used to be frustrating until I latched onto that bit of advice. Good Luck to you!

Glen, could you explain this a little more?
Old September 19, 2012, 11:29 AM
Ruby

Native Language: Spanish
Kunstliebhaber is on a distinguished road
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amara View Post
Glen, could you explain this a little more?
I think the way he means to understand Spanish is do it as Spanish speakers do.

Spanish speakers learn to read syllable by syllable, unlike English where you have to learn the whole sound of a word:

I remember that when I was a kid I learned: MA ME MI MO MU
MI MAMÁ ME MIMA.... etc..

So, if you learn to read Spanish as people do and you can recognize each syllable, the rest is going to be such a piece of cake

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: