Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Grammar


However and nevertheless

 

This is the place for questions about conjugations, verb tenses, adverbs, adjectives, word order, syntax and other grammar questions for English or Spanish.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old January 22, 2011, 07:58 AM
ROBINDESBOIS's Avatar
ROBINDESBOIS ROBINDESBOIS is offline
Diamond
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,929
ROBINDESBOIS is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb However and nevertheless

I know that nevertheless is used in a very formal register, and in the written language.
Any other differences?
Reply With Quote
   
Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
  #2  
Old January 22, 2011, 08:41 AM
Perikles's Avatar
Perikles Perikles is offline
Diamond
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Tenerife
Posts: 4,814
Native Language: Inglés
Perikles is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBINDESBOIS View Post
I know that nevertheless is used in a very formal register, and in the written language.
Any other differences?
Yes - however has a wider application:

e.g. an aderb meaning 'no matter how':
However much you beg, the answer is no.

However can also mean nevertheless. If so, it is always followed by a comma, and also preceeded by one if in the middle of a sentence:

Although your argument makes no sense, nevertheless you may have a point.
Although your argument makes no sense, however, you may have a point.

I think we have been over this before, and others have disagreed.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old January 22, 2011, 10:21 AM
ROBINDESBOIS's Avatar
ROBINDESBOIS ROBINDESBOIS is offline
Diamond
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,929
ROBINDESBOIS is on a distinguished road
He is an idiot nevertheless.
He is an idiot however. ???
The second one sounds funny , doesn´t it?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old January 22, 2011, 10:29 AM
Perikles's Avatar
Perikles Perikles is offline
Diamond
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Tenerife
Posts: 4,814
Native Language: Inglés
Perikles is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBINDESBOIS View Post
He is an idiot nevertheless.
He is an idiot, however. ???
The second one sounds funny , doesn´t it?
No, it doesn't. You do, however, need a comma before the however.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old January 24, 2011, 12:41 PM
Awaken's Avatar
Awaken Awaken is offline
Pearl
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 302
Native Language: American English
Awaken is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perikles View Post
Yes - however has a wider application:

e.g. an aderb meaning 'no matter how':
However much you beg, the answer is no.

However can also mean nevertheless. If so, it is always followed by a comma, and also preceeded by one if in the middle of a sentence:

Although your argument makes no sense, nevertheless you may have a point.
Although your argument makes no sense, however, you may have a point.

I think we have been over this before, and others have disagreed.
You are probably thinking of the Yet vs. However debate.

Robin: You can read that thread here: http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=9804

It discusses some similar topics that may help with this.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old January 24, 2011, 01:48 PM
poli's Avatar
poli poli is offline
rule 1: gravity
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: In and around New York
Posts: 7,561
Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
As mentioned before however has more meanings that nevertheless. The important thing to know that however usually means but (pero).
Nevertheless means sin embargo/ no obstante.
__________________
Me ayuda si corrige mis errores. Gracias.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old January 24, 2011, 06:42 PM
chileno's Avatar
chileno chileno is offline
Diamond
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Las Vegas, USA
Posts: 7,863
Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBINDESBOIS View Post
He is an idiot nevertheless.
He is an idiot however. ???
The second one sounds funny , doesn´t it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perikles View Post
No, it doesn't. You do, however, need a comma before the however.


When I was in school it used to be very popular to read some letters circulating in the schools of my city in which there were maybe a paragraph or two and two versions of the same prose but with different punctuation...

You happen to know of any in English, or Spanish for that matter?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old January 25, 2011, 03:20 AM
Perikles's Avatar
Perikles Perikles is offline
Diamond
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Tenerife
Posts: 4,814
Native Language: Inglés
Perikles is on a distinguished road
Compare:

What is this thing called love?
What is this thing called, love?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old January 25, 2011, 09:24 AM
chileno's Avatar
chileno chileno is offline
Diamond
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Las Vegas, USA
Posts: 7,863
Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
That's why I was asking... love.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old January 25, 2011, 09:50 AM
poli's Avatar
poli poli is offline
rule 1: gravity
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: In and around New York
Posts: 7,561
Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Don't. Stop.
Don't stop.
__________________
Me ayuda si corrige mis errores. Gracias.
Reply With Quote
Reply

 

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Site Rules


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:16 PM.

Forum powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

X