Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Teaching and Learning Techniques
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Learning Spanish

Teaching methodology, learning techniques, linguistics-- any of the various aspect of learning or teaching a foreign language.

Old January 15, 2013, 01:32 PM
Opal

Casa Vida is on a distinguished road
Learning Spanish

Hi, Tomisimo community, I'm a senior chemistry undergraduate student looking to immerse himself in a Spanish-speaking country for a month or two this summer. I'm planning to pursue a global medicine concentration in medical school, so I wanted to pick up some really valuable experience. Does anyone know of any good programs for that? I think it would be really cool if I could teach chemistry in English because I'm sure there's a demand for it somewhere for some high school students. Just a quick little summer program. Or, of course, teaching English. I guess I'm just trying to figure out a way to subsidize an experience where I would get a lot of practice speaking Spanish in another country.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old January 28, 2013, 12:10 PM
Emerald

Native Language: inglés y español).
Villa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casa Vida View Post
Hi, Tomisimo community, I'm a senior chemistry undergraduate student looking to immerse himself in a Spanish-speaking country for a month or two this summer. I'm planning to pursue a global medicine concentration in medical school, so I wanted to pick up some really valuable experience. Does anyone know of any good programs for that? I think it would be really cool if I could teach chemistry in English because I'm sure there's a demand for it somewhere for some high school students. Just a quick little summer program. Or, of course, teaching English. I guess I'm just trying to figure out a way to subsidize an experience where I would get a lot of practice speaking Spanish in another country.
Hola Casa Vida.

I went to school in San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, Mexico. Lived with a Mexican family and went to classes 5 days a week. That was in 1996 when things were safe in Mexico. (Got my master's degree in Spanish also.) Of course things are different now. A few friends of mine went to school in Costa Rica. They say things are very safe there. Costa Rica is an interesting country. They have more teachers than policemen. They do not have an army. Every church has a school and a soccer field. Most people in Costa Rica are of European background. They are big on ecology. They have these beautiful tropical rain forests and you can see them from these ski lift type rides. My friends said friendly monkeys would come up to them and climb all over them. Costa Rica has beautiful beaches on both the Pacific and Atlantic sides. The water is warm all year long. Actually another friend of mine just came back from Costa Rica. He loved it. Was going on an on about it.
Said he liked it better than Hawaii.

Oh, just by chance I was talking to this 23 year old college student just yesterday and he said he went to school in Puerto Rico for 8 months to learn Spanish. He uses Spanish on his job.

Last edited by Villa; January 28, 2013 at 12:18 PM.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: