Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Grammar

Que/ de que

This is the place for questions about conjugations, verb tenses, adverbs, adjectives, word order, syntax and other grammar questions for English or Spanish.

Old May 29, 2009, 08:14 AM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by irmamar View Post
The verb to frown means "mirar con malos ojos", in the sense of "estar en desacuerdo".

I think that when you're learning a language, you should learn the rules of this language. For instance, I know that in English "wanna" and "gonna" are some common words, but I prefer use "want to" and "going to" instead the first ones. Both Spanish and English have a lot of speakers and almost each town or village speaks in a different way, we're not able to know all the ways. So, the best thing is studying the standar and the rules as they have been established. So, I agree with the RAE and I try to speak and write the best Spanish I'm able to. And I'd like to do the same with English. Well, that's my opinion, others will have another one.
Yes I know the different and I understand the rules of the grammatic of the English, I know that the words Wanna and Gonna, are specially used in the U.S.A, I use them because I feel more comfortable with them, as according to your commentary the want to and go to are the way more correct instead of the first ones and they are more used in British.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old May 29, 2009, 10:13 AM
Diamond

Native Language: American English (Northeastern US)
laepelba is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrOtALiTo View Post
Yes I know the different and I understand the rules of the grammatic of the English, I know that the words Wanna and Gonna, are specially used in the U.S.A, I use them because I feel more comfortable with them, as according to your commentary the want to and go to are the way more correct instead of the first ones and they are more used in British.
Well, "wanna" and "gonna" are technically incorrect ("informal" at best) in American English, too. As a teacher, I require that my students say/write "want to" and "going to".....
Old May 29, 2009, 10:39 AM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by laepelba View Post
Well, "wanna" and "gonna" are technically incorrect ("informal" at best) in American English, too. As a teacher, I require that my students say/write "want to" and "going to".....
I know it.
Old May 29, 2009, 12:15 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjenkins View Post
Gracias, he esperado sobre esta tambien (yo esperaba sobre este tópico de gramática tambien_

Ahora, estoy seguro de que es verdad

¿Quién es RAE?
La RAE es la Real Academia Española, una institución que vela por el uso de la lengua española. Pertenece a la Asociación de Academias de la Lengua Española, repartidas por todos los países de habla hispana. Tienes más información en:

http://www.rae.es

Por otro lado, pienso que cuando uno consigue en un idioma extranjero una habilidad cercana, si no similar, al suyo, entonces es capaz de sumergirse en las hablas reales de una comunidad o, incluso, de varias, pero no durante el momento del aprendizaje, en que cualquier regla aprendida incorrectamente puede ser un lastre que puede pesar durante el resto del mismo.

Pondré un ejemplo. Nací en Andalucía, donde se habla un dialecto del castellano. Cuando era pequeña, me vestían de "gitana" para las fiestas y de las orejas me colgaban "salsillos". Bueno, pues era ya un poco más mayorcita y un día leyendo un libro leí la palabra "zarcillo" y, al no conocer su significado, la busqué en un diccionario y más o menos la definía como "pendiente". Durante muchos años, yo llevaba pendientes, los zarcillos eran sinónimos de pendientes que de vez en cuando leía en los libros pero que no usaba en mi vocabulario habitual. De golpe y porrazo, un día me di cuenta de que "salsillos", los pendientes de mi traje de gitana que tanto había llevado yo, eran los "zarcillos" castellanos. Aún me cuesta decir "zarcillo" en lugar de "salsillo". Durante años pensé que eran cosas parecidas pero no la misma cosa.

Last edited by irmamar; May 29, 2009 at 12:19 PM.
Old May 29, 2009, 05:24 PM
Davidísimo

Native Language: American English
Tomisimo will become famous soon enoughTomisimo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingo View Post
Do you have any grammar books who find the usage without "de" correct?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicaDeAlquezar View Post
Sorry to disagree. "Estar seguro(a)" is always followed by "de que", no matter how much a big number of Spanish speakers think they do right to omit the preposition.
My only point is that in my opinion, the majority of speakers define what is "right", not a very small minority of erudite scholars. Language is a living organism and it changes over time. Historically, languages evolved very quickly with words coming and going and grammatical structures changing from generation to generation. Since the invention of printing, this has slowed dramatically. I am not against having rules. Indeed language could not exist without grammar (rules), but my point is that the speakers of a language-- not an artificial governing body-- define what the rules are. Of course, I respect everyone else's opinion as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrOtALiTo View Post
The words "wanna" and "gonna" are very, very rarely used in written English in America. They would mostly only be used in writing to emphasize extremely colloquial speech. In spoken English, it's a continuum and there is really no way of distinguishing between "wanna" and "want to".
Old May 29, 2009, 05:28 PM
Diamond

Native Language: American English (Northeastern US)
laepelba is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomisimo View Post
The words "wanna" and "gonna" are very, very rarely used in written English in America. They would mostly only be used in writing to emphasize extremely colloquial speech. In spoken English, it's a continuum and there is really no way of distinguishing between "wanna" and "want to".
GREAT point, David. Although I might say "wanna" or "gonna", I would never ever write either one of them.
Old May 29, 2009, 11:49 PM
Diamond

Got it.

Although I know the use to them, I think that either is bad use them.

Tags
antidequeísmo, de que, dequeísmo, gonna, que, queísmo, wanna

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: