Old June 21, 2013, 03:25 PM
Opal

Native Language: English
Ree-Ford is on a distinguished road
Hello or should I say Hola ;P

Hola! Mi nombre es Ria! (I think that's right...)

I really want to learn Spanish but I don't quite know where to start so I've come here to learn. I hope that I'll learn more by coming here. One of the things I'm eager to learn informing sentences. I searched hot chocolate once, just out of curiosity and instead of finding chocolate caliente it was caliente chocolate then I decided that this wasn't going to be easy at all haha

Hopefully I'll learn we'll. I want to learn more languages but I want to start with this!

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old June 21, 2013, 07:07 PM
Emerald

Native Language: inglés y español).
Villa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ree-Ford View Post
Hola! Mi nombre es Ria! (I think that's right...)

I really want to learn Spanish but I don't quite know where to start so I've come here to learn. I hope that I'll learn more by coming here. One of the things I'm eager to learn informing sentences. I searched hot chocolate once, just out of curiosity and instead of finding chocolate caliente it was caliente chocolate then I decided that this wasn't going to be easy at all haha

Hopefully I'll learn we'll. I want to learn more languages but I want to start with this!
Hola Ria. Mi nombre es David. (dah-VEED) Bienvenida. (be-in-veh-KNEE-dah)
You have come to the right place to learn Spanish. Start by learning Spanish
vocabulary and useful Spanish phrases. I have sent you some.

Usually but not always the Spanish noun comes first and then the adjective. Banco nacional.
National bank. (Same thing with all the Latin languages.) Un hombre mexicano. A Mexican man.
Una mujer mexicana. A Mexican woman. It sounds backwards but to Spanish speakers English
sounds backwards. Anyway I learned Italian first and then Spanish. Italian has this same noun
before the adjective thing too. Therefore if you want to learn the Italian language later you'll
already know about this. Banca nazionale. National bank.

Last edited by Villa; June 21, 2013 at 07:18 PM.
Old June 21, 2013, 10:32 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Hi Ria, welcome to the forums.

If you'd like a native Spanish speaker to pronounce your name using two syllables, like you do in English, you would spell it Ría. There's an "Accents" drop-down menu just above where you type. You can use it to insert all the special characters needed when typing in Spanish.

'Chocolate caliente' is the correct way to say 'hot chocolate'.
Old June 22, 2013, 09:11 AM
Opal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villa View Post
Usually but not always the Spanish noun comes first and then the adjective. Banco nacional.
National bank. (Same thing with all the Latin languages.) Un hombre mexicano. A Mexican man.
Una mujer mexicana. A Mexican woman. It sounds backwards but to Spanish speakers English
sounds backwards. Anyway I learned Italian first and then Spanish. Italian has this same noun
before the adjective thing too. Therefore if you want to learn the Italian language later you'll
already know about this. Banca nazionale. National bank.
So basically for example black horse would be caballo negro?

That's lucky as I want to learn Itallian after haha

By the way, I've been reading the stuff you sent me, thanks for sending it I have a few apps on my phone, one translates languages so I've been using that alongside the things you sent me so I can hear it as well as read how things are written I hope I get really good at Spanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
If you'd like a native Spanish speaker to pronounce your name using two syllables, like you do in English, you would spell it Ría.
Oh okay. So if I write my name as Ria instead of Ría will people not pronounce it correct? Thanks

Sorry, I was supposed to write that haha it was late when I wrote the post!

Last edited by Rusty; June 22, 2013 at 07:40 PM. Reason: merged back-to-back posts
Old June 22, 2013, 07:46 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Without the accent mark, 'ia' is pronounced as a diphthong is Spanish (one syllable). So, instead of the two syllables you're used to hearing in English, a native Spanish speaker would pronounce the two vowels using a single syllable if you don't place an accent mark over the 'i'. For example, the English and Spanish words for 'radio' look exactly alike. We English speakers say three syllables. Spanish speakers only say two syllables.
Old June 23, 2013, 01:57 AM
Opal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Without the accent mark, 'ia' is pronounced as a diphthong is Spanish (one syllable). So, instead of the two syllables you're used to hearing in English, a native Spanish speaker would pronounce the two vowels using a single syllable if you don't place an accent mark over the 'i'. For example, the English and Spanish words for 'radio' look exactly alike. We English speakers say three syllables. Spanish speakers only say two syllables.
Oh I didn't know that. okay, I'll consider this in future Thanks.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: