Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Teaching and Learning Techniques

Tips for remembering vocabulary

Teaching methodology, learning techniques, linguistics-- any of the various aspect of learning or teaching a foreign language.

Old February 25, 2009, 09:54 AM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnBreeze View Post
Ooh, excellent thread! I just got so many great ideas to fight stagnation and boredom with my learning tools of choice. ¡Muchas gracias a todos!
Small corrections.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old February 25, 2009, 10:21 AM
Ruby

Native Language: U.S. English
AutumnBreeze is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Small corrections.
Ahh, I get what I did wrong . Love this forum!
Old February 27, 2009, 07:59 AM
Opal

Native Language: Inglés
ewomack is on a distinguished road
For me, memorizing the words to songs and singing them ad inifinitum really helps to solidify vocabulary. I have quite a bit of music en Español with lyrics - I try to memorize the words enough to sing along. Then I have it. Most of the words I have learned this way never leave.
Old February 27, 2009, 06:06 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Yes. I agree with you. I like so much to music at English. Sometimes I try to singing them at the same time I try to learn as is it pronunciation. And also I try to learn the word. Of this way of learning I have learnt much and the words never leave my mind. So I think that the best to way of learn the English is improving the English with someone or if you can speak with the American people.
Old February 28, 2009, 06:27 PM
Opal

Native Language: English, Ingles
Anima is on a distinguished road
One thing that really helps me is that when I learn a new word, I try to picture the thing if I can, instead of the word in english. For example, if I were learning the word "manzana" instead of thinking "Apple, apple, manzana, apple" over and over again, I would try to picture as many kinds of apple as I could while thinking the word manzana.

That helps me because it makes it easier to think in the language because when I see an apple, no matter what language I'm using, I can think "manzana", you see?
Old March 01, 2009, 10:02 AM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Yes. I can understand your methods to learning. But I feel that it's a few harder to do at least some many persons can to do it and other not. If I try to picturing me the word or relation with some object the word it would can confusing me. I think that hence you can learn the words as example you can read the threads wrote for all us in both languages.

But if you feel that is easier your method to learn the language then it's ok.
Old February 23, 2011, 08:49 AM
Emerald

Native Language: Bicol/Tagalog; English = second language
vita32 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramses View Post
Yeah, but I strongly believe that there's a general path someone can (or should) walk in order to become fluent. When you speak English, do you think about grammar all the time? Maybe once in a while, with complex sentences, but not in general. Learning a language is all about growing an intuition. People who say they *need* to understand *each and every* piece of grammar before they can be fluent are talking BS. You can't be fluent when you think about stuff like grammar all the time. Natives just rule regarding their native tongue because they don't think about the correctness of their language.

They grammar-loving people you've come across: are they near-native fluent? I guess not, because that impossible. Sure, you can be a grammar lover, but please only be one when you're already fluent at the language in question (concentrate on the hows first, the whys will come later).
What you're saying is true if the learner is surrounded by native speakers, since the learner can listen and immatate them without thinking or paying attention to grammar.

All corrections are appreciated.
Old March 01, 2011, 01:48 PM
Emerald

Native Language: castellano (second language Italian)
pinosilano is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorbdaddy View Post
I like to record an audo file on my computer and play it a couple times a day on my ipod.
Es lo que estoy haciendo con "La Granja de los Animales" y aprovecho de traducir por mi cuenta, sin ir a mirar el ebook en español, sino preguntando en los foros.
Old March 02, 2011, 11:44 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinosilano View Post
Es lo que estoy haciendo con "La Granja de los Animales" y aprovecho de traducir por mi cuenta, sin ir a mirar el ebook en español, sino preguntando en los foros.
Sí, lo hemos notado.
Old March 07, 2011, 02:46 PM
Opal

happyman is on a distinguished road
Vocabulary can be guessed, grammar must be learned and committed to memory. A hippie-like "just go with it, man" attitude is like walking through a maze without a map. Eventually you'll figure out where to go, but a map makes it easier to make sense of the confusion. Also, Anki kicks butt; it saves your progress.

Tags
memoria, memory, mindmap, mnemonics, vocabulario, vocabulary, wordweb

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: