Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Culture
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Spanglish?

Questions about culture and cultural differences between countries and languages.

Old April 16, 2009, 09:39 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
Spanglish?

Sometimes I've heard something about the Spanglish? It's said that it is common in the USA. Is it true? Have you ever listened to somebody speaking Spanglish? How does it sound? I've never heard someone speaking so.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old April 16, 2009, 10:02 AM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Ven a Nueba Yol pués. Anyway vas oirlo alli.

Yes, Spanglish is a subject that has been covered in the forums.
There are literally tens of millions of Spanish-speaking people residing in the USA. However, schools teach in English ,and most TV, and the predominant culture are anglo-based. So, children of immigrants and people who come from Puerto Rico and spend some time up north often integrate English in their everyday speech. They often conjugate English verbs a if they were Spanish. example: Tengo que mapear el suelo. Sí, dale un buen mapeo. Or they may give English nouns gender. Example: el rufo. A previous example I have used comes from something I have heard: El cilin tiene un liqueo.

Although Spanish-speaking culture isn't generally discouraged here, it isn't
encouraged either. If it weren't for new arrivals Spanish speaking in the USA would fade as German had at the turn of the last century.
Old April 16, 2009, 10:04 AM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by irmamar View Post
Sometimes I've heard something about the Spanglish. It's said that it is common in the USA. Is that true? Have you ever listened to somebody speaking Spanglish? How does it sound? I've never heard anyone speaking that way.
If you live near the areas where Spanish is spoken in the U.S.A., you'll frequently hear Spanish-sounding words that are most definitely influenced by English. You wouldn't be able to follow the conversation if you weren't familiar with both languages. Poli's examples were perfect.
Old April 16, 2009, 10:33 AM
Diamond

Thanks for your corrections.

I live in Catalonia, where another language is spoken: Catalonian. Many people use Catalonian words when they speak Spanish (for instance, in Catalonian "arrancar" -el motor de un coche- is "engegar", and people say "engega" on speaking Spanish). I think that (that?) would be a similar thing, isn't it?
Old April 16, 2009, 10:44 AM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by irmamar View Post
Thanks for your corrections.

I live in Catalonia, where another language is spoken: Catalonian. Many people use Catalonian words when they speak Spanish (for instance, in Catalonian "arrancar" -el motor de un coche- is "engegar", and people say "engega" when speaking Spanish). I think that (that?) would be a similar thing, isn't it?
Yes, very similar.

I think that that would be ... is perfectly fine English.
Old April 16, 2009, 10:51 AM
Diamond

I was thinking on writing "when" instead of "on", but I preferred de wrong word!!!
Old April 16, 2009, 10:55 AM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
The only difference, at least to me, is that Catalan and Castillian sounds blend nicely--both being closely related romance languages. English, although largely Latin, clashes with Spanish. So Spanglish sounds ungamely.
So, you engage your car and Castillians are still pulling a cord to get the motor going. Over here hispanos usan prenda el motor.
Old April 16, 2009, 11:36 AM
The Rebel Fairy

Native Language: Spanish
María José is on a distinguished road
If you are interested in Spanglish, come to my home. My little one is a perfect living example...
Old April 16, 2009, 12:34 PM
Diamond

Jajaja.

Well, anyway I think that here, in Spain, we speak a bit of Spanglish when we talk about computers and technology.

Could you tell me what means "blend nicely--both"? Thanks.
Old April 16, 2009, 12:50 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by poli View Post
Ven a Nueba Yol pués. Anyway vas oirlo alli.

Yes, Spanglish is a subject that has been covered in the forums.
There are literally tens of millions of Spanish-speaking people residing in the USA. However, schools teach in English ,and most TV, and the predominant culture are anglo-based. So, children of immigrants and people who come from Puerto Rico and spend some time up north often integrate English in their everyday speech. They often conjugate English verbs a if they were Spanish. example: Tengo que mapear el suelo. Sí, dale un buen mapeo. Or they may give English nouns gender. Example: el rufo. A previous example I have used comes from something I have heard: El cilin tiene un liqueo.

Although Spanish-speaking culture isn't generally discouraged here, it isn't
encouraged either. If it weren't for new arrivals Spanish speaking in the USA would fade as German had at the turn of the last century.
You consider that the Spanglish is spoken for the immigrant people that lives in U.S.A, you mentioned before some examples or some words where you are speaking at Spanglish, I tell you, never I have heard thus thing, I believe that the words that you mentioned before are most use in the quotidian live, for example I say pues or yo.

It's normal, and I don't believe that the Spanglish as you named it be really other idiom or way to speak.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: