Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Practice & Homework

Más tareas

Practice Spanish or English here. All replies to a thread should be in the same language as the first post.

Old January 20, 2010, 07:44 PM
Ruby

Native Language: English
ChicadeJeep is on a distinguished road
Más tareas

Tiempos pasados
Cambie las frases de su tutor al tiempo pasado (pretérito, imperfecto de indicativo; imperfecto de subjuntivo).
Ej.: Tutor: Ella no quiere que Luis venga.
Ud.: Ella no quería que Luis viniera.

1. Yo no dudo que él tiene malas intenciones.

No me cabe duda que él tenía malas intenciones.

2. Las chicas esperan que ellos se arreglen en su matrimonio.

Las chicas se espera que se ellos se arreglen en su matrimonio.

3. Pati no quiere que la obra de teatro fracase.

Pati no quería que la obra de teatro fracaso.

4. Mercedes no cree que haya varias soluciones.

Mercedes no cree que hay varias soluciones.
(I don't know how to change this??)

5. ¿Quién duda que ellos sean nietos de Fernando?

¿Quién duda de que ellos son los nietos de Fernando?

6. No me parece que sea una idea factible.

No pensé que era una idea factible.

7. Nadie desea que La Gavia se venda.

Nadie desería La Gavia vendidos.

8. Pedro ordena que Carlos dé una buena explicación.

Pedro ordenó a Carlos dar una buena explicación.

More to come ...

Vocabulario
¿Puede Ud. explicar qué es o qué son...?

1. un bien raíz

Un bien raíz es la propiedad de la tierra o de una persona posee.

2. los ingresos

Ingreso es el dinero hace una persona para trabajar.

3. el cheque

Un cheque es una forma de papel manuscrita de pago.

4. el efectivo

El efectivo es una forma de papel de pago.

5. la cuenta corriente

La cuenta corriente es cargo de acceso es que usted no tiene.

6. los intereses

Los intereses se paga un derecho sobre los fondos prestados.

7. la tarjeta de crédito

Una tarjeta de crédito fondos accesibles es que usted no tiene.

8. un préstamo bancario

Un préstamo bancario es un préstamo de los fondos que deben ser pagados con intereses.

Last edited by ChicadeJeep; January 20, 2010 at 08:04 PM. Reason: add last section
Old January 20, 2010, 09:46 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicadeJeep View Post
Tutor: Ella no quiere que Luis venga.
(The first example has two verbs. The first is in the present indicative tense. The second is in the present subjunctive.
The second example has the same two verbs. The first is changed to the imperfect indicative and the second is changed to agree (imperfect subjunctive. This is the pattern you're supposed to follow.)

1. Yo no dudo que él tiene malas intenciones. (two verbs - dudo and tiene, both indicative)

No me cabe duda que él tenía malas intenciones. (you changed the verb dudar to caberse - the other verb change was correctly done - change dudo to a past tense)

2. Las chicas esperan que ellos se arreglen en su matrimonio. (two present tense verbs - esperan and se arreglen, the second of which is subjunctive)

Las chicas se espera que ellos se arreglen su matrimonio. (you changed the verb esperar to esperarse, when it just needed changed to a past tense - the other verb also needs changed (keeping it in the subjunctive mood))

3. Pati no quiere que la obra de teatro fracase. (two present tense verbs - quiere and fracase, the second of which is subjunctive)

Pati no quería que la obra de teatro fracaso. (you correctly altered the primary verb - the secondary needs changed accordingly (keeping it in the subjunctive mood))

4. Mercedes no cree que haya varias soluciones. (two present tense verbs - cree and haya, the second of which is subjunctive)

(I don't know how to change this??) (change the main verb to a past tense, and then make the secondary verb agree (keeping it in the subjunctive mood))

5. ¿Quién duda que ellos sean nietos de Fernando? (two present tense verbs - duda and sean, the second of which is subjunctive)

¿Quién duda de que ellos son los nietos de Fernando? (change the main verb to a past tense, and then make the secondary verb agree (keeping it in the subjunctive mood))

6. No me parece que sea una idea factible. (two present tense verbs - parece and sea, the second of which is subjunctive)

No pensé que era una idea factible. (use the same primary verb, but change it to a past tense, and then make the secondary verb agree (keeping it in the subjunctive mood))

7. Nadie desea que La Gavia se venda. (two present tense verbs - desea and se venda, the second of which is subjunctive)

Nadie desería La Gavia vendidos. (change the main verb to a past tense, and then make the secondary verb agree (keeping it in the subjunctive mood))

8. Pedro ordena que Carlos dé una buena explicación. (two present tense verbs - ordena and dé, the second of which is subjunctive)

Pedro ordenó que Carlos dar una buena explicación. (here you correctly changed the main verb, but you didn't change the secondary verb to agree (keeping it in the subjunctive mood))
Hints given.
Old January 21, 2010, 06:46 AM
Ruby

Oh my goodness! And here I thought I had done well!

Thank you Rusty - it looks like I have a lot more work to do!
Old January 21, 2010, 07:08 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
Perikles is on a distinguished road
Have you heard of the idea of sequence of tenses? It is just that there is something similar in English, and if you start by realizing that various sequences can't work in English, then you will see that they don't work in Spanish, either. (Although the sequences are not always the same in English and Spanish).

Examples:
We ask if they have finished: present + perfect.
We had asked if they had finished: pluperf + pluperf.
We asked if they are finishing: pret. + pres.

I just thought that might help.
Old January 21, 2010, 11:22 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perikles View Post
Have you heard of the idea of sequence of tenses? It is just that there is something similar in English, and if you start by realizing that various sequences can't work in English, then you will see that they don't work in Spanish, either. (Although the sequences are not always the same in English and Spanish).

Examples:

That's what I said here, but I was ignored.
Old January 21, 2010, 12:06 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
Perikles is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by irmamar View Post
Perhaps C-Jeep didn't see it. I was just pointing out that the same kinds of sequences exist in English, so if you are aware of these it might help figuring out what is allowed in Spanish.
Old January 27, 2010, 12:43 PM
Ruby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perikles View Post

Examples:

Thank you Perikles. Examples like that help. This subject totally confuses me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by irmamar View Post
I apologize irmamar, if you felt I ignored you. I did respond here and mentioned that it confused me. I am sorry.

I'm not very good at sentence structure - especially when you toss in tense and mood and proper conjugation ... I still think that there should be one way of saying everything and have a hard time wrapping my brain around all the different forms.
Old January 27, 2010, 01:22 PM
Ruby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Hints given.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicadeJeep
Tutor: Ella no quiere que Luis venga.
(The first example has two verbs. The first is in the present indicative tense. The second is in the present subjunctive.
The second example has the same two verbs. The first is changed to the imperfect indicative and the second is changed to agree (imperfect subjunctive. This is the pattern you're supposed to follow.)

1. Yo no dudo que él tiene malas intenciones. (two verbs - dudo and tiene, both indicative)

No me cabe duda que él tenía malas intenciones. (you changed the verb dudar to caberse - the other verb change was correctly done - change dudo to a past tense)

No me dudarse que él tenía malas intenciones.

2. Las chicas esperan que ellos se arreglen en su matrimonio. (two present tense verbs - esperan and se arreglen, the second of which is subjunctive)

Las chicas se espera que ellos se arreglen su matrimonio. (you changed the verb esperar to esperarse, when it just needed changed to a past tense - the other verb also needs changed (keeping it in the subjunctive mood))

Las chicas se esperaran que ellos se arreglaran en su matrimonio.

3. Pati no quiere que la obra de teatro fracase. (two present tense verbs - quiere and fracase, the second of which is subjunctive)

Pati no quería que la obra de teatro fracaso. (you correctly altered the primary verb - the secondary needs changed accordingly (keeping it in the subjunctive mood))

Pati no quería que la obra de teatro fracasara.

4. Mercedes no cree que haya varias soluciones. (two present tense verbs - cree and haya, the second of which is subjunctive)

(I don't know how to change this??) (change the main verb to a past tense, and then make the secondary verb agree (keeping it in the subjunctive mood))

Mercedes no creyera que hubiera varias soluciones.

5. ¿Quién duda que ellos sean nietos de Fernando? (two present tense verbs - duda and sean, the second of which is subjunctive)

¿Quién duda de que ellos son los nietos de Fernando? (change the main verb to a past tense, and then make the secondary verb agree (keeping it in the subjunctive mood))

¿Quién dudaran que ellos fueran los nietos de Fernando.

6. No me parece que sea una idea factible. (two present tense verbs - parece and sea, the second of which is subjunctive)

No pensé que era una idea factible. (use the same primary verb, but change it to a past tense, and then make the secondary verb agree (keeping it in the subjunctive mood))

No pareciera que fuera una idea factible.

7. Nadie desea que La Gavia se venda. (two present tense verbs - desea and se venda, the second of which is subjunctive)

Nadie desería La Gavia vendidos. (change the main verb to a past tense, and then make the secondary verb agree (keeping it in the subjunctive mood))

Nadie desearan La Gavia vendieran.

8. Pedro ordena que Carlos dé una buena explicación. (two present tense verbs - ordena and dé, the second of which is subjunctive)

Pedro ordenó que Carlos dar una buena explicación. (here you correctly changed the main verb, but you didn't change the secondary verb to agree (keeping it in the subjunctive mood))

Pedro ordenó que Carlos diera una buena explicación.

-------------------

I have added my corrections in teal but something tells me I still have not got it right?
Old January 27, 2010, 04:34 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Number 1 is still incorrect. Don't change the main verb (you changed it to a pronominal verb); just change it from indicative present tense to one of the indicative past tenses. The verb in the secondary clause is correct.
Number 2 is incorrect for the exact same reason.

Number 3 is correct.

Number 4 doesn't have an indicative main verb. The verb in the secondary clause is correct.
Number 5 is incorrect for the exact same reason.
Number 6 has an incorrect primary verb (it's no longer pronominal, and it's not in an indicative past tense).
In number 7, neither verb is correct. The indicative mood must be used in the primary clause. There is no conjunction. The verb in the secondary clause was pronominal, so make sure you put the pronoun back in the clause. The subjunctive mood was correctly used, but the person is incorrect.

Number 8 is correct.
Old January 27, 2010, 05:39 PM
Ruby

1. No me dudaba que él tenía malas intenciones.
2. Las chicas se espereban que ellos se arreglaran en su matrimonio.
4. Mercedes no creía que hubiera varias soluciones.
5. ¿Quién dudaban que ellos fueran los nietos de Fernando.
6. No parecía que fuera una idea factible.
7. Nadie deseaba que La Gavia se vendiera.

I hope that I followed your comments well enough??
Rusty, I am extremely grateful for you comments and hints!

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: