Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Practice & Homework
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Letter to a Spanish friend

Practice Spanish or English here. All replies to a thread should be in the same language as the first post.

Old January 05, 2012, 08:56 PM
Opal

Newbie is on a distinguished road
Hello guys!

We are supposed to write a short "letter to a spanish friend" for our homework. Can someone help me and corret the errors in my letter?

Thank you!

Here it goes:

Queriodo Luiz

El vacaciones es el terminado y yo preparo por la nuevo año. Tengo muchos metas nuevos. Por ejemplo dentro de la escuela y mí salud. Espero de nuevo año, y estoy loca por verte en el vacaciones en el verano

Escribo esta letra para que te enteres como he celebrado la vacaciones. Como usted sabe yo es un musulmán y no celebrado el navidad. Pero, he tenido un relajado, calmademente vacaciones. Por la mayor parte del tiempo, he pasado con la familia. En realidad, en la vacaciones esta mismo, pero la invierno humor que lo hace diferente. Es muy placentero. He utlizado mucho tiempo en mirar peliculas, como siempre, Además he jugado mucho Playstation 3. Una dia, fui a Oslo com mi madre i hermano mayor. Comimos un pizza delicioso. Yum, yum! Pero, Lo mejor de el vacaciones era mi cumpleaños y muchas gracias por su carnet. ¡Usted lo recuerda! Finalmente fue noche vieja. Para ser justos estuvo aburrido. Había tan poco, donde yo vivo.
¿Pero Luiz? ¿Qué pasó con usted? Es muy curioso. ¿Ustedes lo celebran de una manera diferente ¡Espero saber de tí! ¡Te extraño Luiz! ¡Yo estoy estupendo estos días! Por favor, contestame pronto.
Tus amigo,
Ali

Sorry for the title being misspelled. I do not know how to edit it.

Last edited by Rusty; January 05, 2012 at 09:53 PM. Reason: merged back-to-back posts - changed title

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old January 05, 2012, 10:39 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie View Post
... write a short "letter to a Spanish friend" for our homework. Can someone help me and correct the errors in my letter?

Queriodo Luiz, (misspellings)

El vacaciones (the article needs to agree with the noun - 'vacaciones' is feminine, and plural)
es el terminado ('it is the terminated' is not what you meant - 'are over/done/ended' is) (In proper Spanish, the phrase 'vacations are over' is said using a structure you may not have been taught yet. Using words that you may know, however, you can say 'the vacations are over' - make sure you choose the right 'to be' verb. )
y (yo) preparo por (wrong preposition) la nuevo año. (agreement, and the adjective should follow the noun)
Tengo muchos metas nuevos.
Por ejemplo, dentro de la escuela y mí salud.
Espero de nuevo año, y estoy loca por verte en el vacaciones del verano. ('summer vacation')

Escribo esta letra (wrong word) para que te enteres como he celebrado la vacaciones.
Como usted sabe (wrong person, no subject pronoun needed when conjugated correctly) (yo) es (wrong person) (un) musulmán y no celebrado (should be a verb) el navidad (agreement). Pero, (use another opener, like 'nevertheless') he tenido un relajado, calmademente (article and adjectives must agree with the noun - place the adjectives after the noun and use 'y' to separate them) vacaciones.
Por (omit) la mayor parte del tiempo, (reiterate the subject here using a relative pronoun that agrees with the subject - 'parte') he pasado con la familia.
En realidad, en la vacaciones esta mismo, pero la invierno humor que lo hace diferente . Es muy placentero. He utlizado (wrong verb) mucho tiempo en mirar (use another verb and use its gerundio form, no preposition needed) peliculas, como siempre.
Además, he jugado mucho Playstation 3. Una dia, fui a Oslo com mi madre i (repeat the possessive adjective) hermano mayor.
Comimos un pizza delicioso. (agreement)
Yum, yum! (¡Ñam, ñam!)
(Pero,) Lo mejor de el vacaciones era mi cumpleaños y muchas gracias por su carnet. (wrong words) ¡Usted lo recuerda! (wrong tense, person) Finalmente fue Noche Vieja (not used everywhere). Para ser justos (De verdad ?) estuvo aburrido. Había tan poco, donde (yo) vivo.
¿Pero Luiz? ¿Qué pasó con usted? Es muy curioso. ¿Ustedes lo celebran de una manera diferente ¡Espero saber de tí! ¡Te extraño Luiz! ¡(Yo) estoy estupendo estos días! Por favor, contestame pronto.
Tus amigo,
Ali

Sorry for the title being misspelled. I do not know how to edit it.
Welcome to the forums!

I changed the title and merged your back-to-back posts. You can edit your posts if you want to change the title (select 'Advanced' reply). You can edit a post to add more comments instead of posting contiguous messages.

I've given you some hints about what needs to be changed. Once in awhile I gave you the correction. I have no idea what you were trying to say in some places. Please provide the English phrase.

Ask questions about anything I marked. When you've corrected your letter, repost it so we can have another look.
Old January 09, 2012, 02:22 AM
Ruby

jrivera is on a distinguished road
Newbie, you have a lot of errors in your letter, as Rusty pointed you. Some of them, are with the use of ', like in the word "cómo" when it's a question. But I think for your level would be better no to pay attention to that.
The most important error are with the use of wrong words, words that are not accurate for what you are trying to say. For example: "Te escribo para que te enteres" - enteres es really not used here, it would say something like "para contarte = to tell you" or something like that.
This, and "Finalmente fue Noche Vieja" is the only two important errors that Rusty hasn't corrected. Here you are sayin: Finally it was New Year`s Eve (is that correct in english??) - and you should say something like: "Finally, New Year's Eve arrived" or "came"-
Not sure if that's correct in English... But this is the kind of verb that you should use here.

Try to write it again and correct the most errors you can. Then we'll do another revision of the text.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: