Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Practice & Homework

Spanish to English translation of some newspaper quotes

Practice Spanish or English here. All replies to a thread should be in the same language as the first post.

Old December 12, 2011, 07:46 AM
Opal

marita is on a distinguished road
Spanish to English translation of some newspaper quotes

Hello everyone!
I have an assignment concerning "bolsa de valores" and one of the things that I need to include in it is translating some quotes into English. I've tried to do it but it's very difficult to me, as I'm beginner. Thank you very much for any help!

Ayer se supo que los inversores que tengan en su cartera los títulos por 12 meses, se les dará una acción gratuita por cada veinte que posean, con un rendimiento del 5% sobre el valor de la inversión. Expansión October 7, 2010
Yesterday it emerged that investors who hold securities in the portfolio for 12 months, will be given one free share for every twenty that have, with a yield of 5% of the value of the investment.

La democratización de Isagén, cuya fecha aún no se ha definido, ofrecerá elementos especiales como la acción privilegiada, que reconocerá un dividendo por una sola vez pagadero en el año 2007. Portafolio , June 22, 2006
The democratization of Isagen, whose date has not yet been set, will offer special features such as preference shares, which will recognize a dividend payable individually in 2007.

La contratación en el Mercado Continuo descendió a 4.414,99 millones de euros, destacando otra vez el Banco Santander por las operaciones de vuelta del lavado de dividendo.
Trading on the continuous market dropped to 4414.99 million, highlighting again the Banco Santander for the return of the washing operations of a dividend.

Precisamente en la compañía alemana Qatar entró como 'caballero blanco' para tratar de dificultar la OPA lanzada por ACS..APOYOACS dice que el emirato es buen socio MadridACS se ha mostrado imparcial ante la entrada de Qatar Holdings en el capital de Iberdrola, eléctrica en la que la compañía de construcción y servicios es primer accionista, con un 20,2% de su capital. El Mundo, 15 marzo 2011
Precisely in the German company entered Qatar as 'white knight' to try to hinder the takeover bid launched by ACS .. APOYOACS says the emirate is good partner MadridACS has shown fair to the entry of Qatar Holdings in the capital of Iberdrola, electrical which the construction and services company's largest shareholder, with 20.2% of its capital. The World, March 15, 2011

El socio de KPMG en España cree que las grandes compras apalancadas por parte del capital riesgo, "las mayores afectadas por la falta de financiación", no parece que se vayan a reactivar en el corto y medio plazo. Cinco Dias, 5 octubre 2010 martes
KPMG's partner in Spain believes that the large leveraged buyouts by private equity, "the most affected by lack of funding" does not seem to be going to revive in the short to medium term.

BBVA lanzo el pasado dia 2 de febrero una OPA sobre Bancomer a razon de 12 pesos por accion, lo que implica una prima del 13,7% sobre la cotizacion del viernes dia 30 de enero y del 18,9% sobre el valor medio de las ultimas 30 sesiones. El Mundo, 20 febrero 2004

BBVA launched on February 2 Bancomer a takeover bid at a rate of 12 pesos per share, which implies a premium of 13.7% on the price of Friday 30th January and 18.9% on the average value of the last 30 sessions.

Los planes de derechos de accionistas, conocidos como "píldora venenosa", tienen por objeto dar tiempo suficiente al directorio y los accionistas de una empresa para evaluar una oferta de adquisición no solicitada. Business News Americas - Spanish, February 27, 2009
The shareholder rights plans, known as "poison pill", are intended to give enough time to board and shareholders of a company to evaluate an unsolicited takeover bid.

Abertis inició la ampliación de capital liberada con cargo a la cuenta de prima de emisión por un importe nominal de 110,8 millones de euros, que ha supuesto la emisión de unos 37 millones de nuevas acciones, en una proporción de una acción nueva por cada 20 antiguas.
EFE Newswire - Barcelona (Spain), September 21, 2011
Abertis started bonus share issue under the share premium account for a nominal amount of 110.8 million euros, which has involved the issuance of 37 million new shares at a ratio of one new share for each 20 old.

Las otras trece entidades ya se han sumado a un acuerdo para formar un sindicato de accionistas en la citada inmobiliaria que no supere el 30% de su capital, con el fin de verse obligado a lanzar una oferta pública de acciones por el 100%. ABC, April 25, 2008 Friday, ECONOMIA
The other thirteen entities have already signed an agreement to form a syndicate of shareholders in that real estate does not exceed 30% of its capital, to be forced to launch a tender offer for 100%.

Según comunicó el viernes a la CNMV la sociedad de cartera Cartival, perteneciente a Jaime Botín, fundador de Bankinter, ha recibido acciones representativas del 7,85% del capital del banco, con lo que su participación directa e indirecta alcanza el 24%. Cinco Dias, 31 julio 2010 sábado
As reported on Friday CNMV Cartival holding company, owned by Jaime Botin, founder of Bankinter, has received shares representing 7.85% of bank capital, which direct and indirect participation reaches 24%.

La empresa subsidaria de Union Carbide, la Union Carbide India Limited (UCIL) de la que poseía el 51% el grupo estadounidense en el momento del accidente, también fue condenada a una multa de 500.000 rupias. Agence France Presse – Spanish June 7, 2010
The company subsidiary of Union Carbide, Union Carbide India Limited (UCIL), of which held 51% of the U.S. group at the time of the accident, was also sentenced to a fine of 500,000 rupees.

Este impedimento se debe a que la Bolsa de Nueva York, mercado donde se transan los ADR de CTC, no permite operaciones de este tipo cuando el dividendo a repartir supera el 20% del valor de la accion. El Mercurio (Chile), 373 words, CRISTIAN RODRIGUEZ C. August 25, 2004
This impediment is that the New York Stock Exchange, a market where ADRs are traded CTC does not allow such operations when the dividend to be distributed over 20% of the value of the action.

La popular red social fundada y dirigida por Marck Zuckerberg se plantea salir a bolsa entre abril y junio de 2012 a través de una oferta pública de venta de acciones (OPV) con la que podría llegar a recaudar hasta 10.000 millones de dólares. November 29, 2011, El Periodico de Catalunya
The popular social network founded and directed by Marck Zuckerberg raises go public between April and June 2012 through a public offering of shares (IPO) with which could raise up to 10,000 million dollars.

In October 2008 the market capitalization of companies listed on the stock market the stock market reached a value of $ 188.74 billion. November 7, 2008 Report UPI LatAm
En octubre de 2008 la capitalización bursátil de las empresas que cotizan en el mercado de acciones de la Bolsa de Valores alcanzó un valor de $188,74 billones. November 7, 2008 UPI Reporte LatAm

La fusión se registró como una adquisición inversa en la que la empresa fue tratada como la adquirida y FOH Holdings fue considerada la empresa adquiriente. PR Newswire en español, June 11, 2008
The merger was recorded as a reverse acquisition in which the company was treated as the acquiree and FOH Holdings was considered the acquiring company.

Tabacalera perdio un 0,62 por ciento y cerro a 16,01 euros (2.664 pesetas), despues de que ayer concluyera el periodo de canje de acciones para la fusion con la francesa Seita.
Spanish Newswire Services, November 24, 1999,
Tobacco company lost 0.62 percent to close at 16.01 euros (2664 pesetas), concluded yesterday after the period of exchange of shares for the merger with France's Seita.

Los accionistas aprobaron dejar sin efecto una reserva para futuros dividendos constituida por 4.169,6 millones de pesos (974,2 millones de dólares) y disponer su capitalización mediante el pago de un dividendo en acciones a razón de doce acciones nuevas por cada acción en circulación. EFE Newswire - Empresas (Spain), November 10, 2011
Shareholders approved set aside a reserve for future dividends set by 4169.6 million pesos (974.2 million dollars) and have their capitalization by paying a stock dividend at the rate of twelve new shares for each outstanding share .

Bankia, la mayor unión de cajas de ahorro españolas, prevé entrar en bolsa el 20 de julio con la intención de captar hasta un máximo de 4.580 millones de euros. Agence France Presse -- Spanish, June 29, 2011
Bankia, the largest union of Spanish savings banks, provides for going public on 20 July with the intention of capturing up to 4,580 million euros.

El grupo francés ofrece a los accionistas de EDF Energies Nouvelles la posibilidad de recibir 40 euros ex dividendo por cada título que posean o 13 acciones de EDF ex dividendo por cada 11 que tengan de la filial de renovables. El Mundo, 9 abril 2011
The French offer to the shareholders of EDF Energies Nouvelles able to receive 40 euros ex-dividend for each share they own or 13 EDF shares for every 11 ex-dividend of the subsidiary with renewables.

Mapfre , que señaló que la OPA no tiene por finalidad la exclusión de Bolsa de las acciones de Funespaña, indicó que este precio coincide con el más elevado que Mapfre Familiar ha pagado por los títulos de la empresa adquiridos hasta la fecha de la fusión entre Funespaña y Gesmap. La Verdad, December 1, 2011
Mapfre, which stated that the OPA is not intended to exclude Exchange Funespaña actions indicated that this price coincides with the Mapfre Familiar higher than paid for the acquired company's securities until the date of the merger between Funespaña and Gesmap.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old December 12, 2011, 10:47 AM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by marita View Post
I have an assignment concerning "bolsa de valores" and one of the things that I need to include in it is translating some quotes into English. I've tried to do it but it's very difficult for me, as I'm a beginner. Thank you very much for any help!

Ayer se supo que los inversores que tengan en su cartera los títulos por 12 meses, se les dará una acción gratuita por cada veinte que posean, con un rendimiento del 5% sobre el valor de la inversión. Expansión October 7, 2010
Yesterday it emerged (another verb would work better) that investors who hold securities in the (should be a determiner) portfolio for 12 months, will be given one free share for every twenty that (missing subject pronoun) have (another verb could be used), with a yield of 5% of the value of the investment.

La democratización de Isagén, cuya fecha aún no se ha definido, ofrecerá elementos especiales como la acción privilegiada, que reconocerá un dividendo por una sola vez pagadero en el año 2007. Portafolio , June 22, 2006
The democratization of Isagen, whose date has not yet been set, will offer special features such as preference (privileged?) shares, which will recognize (another verb should be used) a dividend payable individually (I would say 'paid once') in 2007.

La contratación en el Mercado Continuo descendió a 4.414,99 millones de euros, destacando otra vez el Banco Santander por las operaciones de vuelta del lavado de dividendo.
Trading on the continuous market dropped to 4414.99 million (missing currency reference), highlighting (another verb should be used) again (adverb should be moved to after the bank's name) (the) (omit) Banco Santander (you may want to translate this) for the (should be a determiner) return of the washing operations of a dividend (I would say 'on dividend stripping').

Precisamente en la compañía alemana Qatar entró como 'caballero blanco' para tratar de dificultar la OPA lanzada por ACS..APOYOACS dice que el emirato es buen socio. MadridACS se ha mostrado imparcial ante la entrada de Qatar Holdings en el capital de Iberdrola, eléctrica en la que la compañía de construcción y servicios es primer accionista, con un 20,2% de su capital. El Mundo, 15 marzo 2011
Precisely in (use another translation, and move to after the verb after the company's name) the German company Qatar entered as (missing an article) 'white knight' to try to hinder the takeover bid launched by ACS .. APOYOACS says the emirate is good partner. MadridACS has shown fair (I would say 'been impartial') to the entry of Qatar Holdings in the capital of Iberdrola, electrical (needs to be expanded so we know it's a firm) which (missing verb) the construction and services company's largest shareholder, with 20.2% of its capital. The World, March 15, 2011

El socio de KPMG en España cree que las grandes compras apalancadas por parte del capital riesgo, "las mayores afectadas por la falta de financiación", no parece que se vayan a reactivar en el corto y medio plazo. Cinco Dias, 5 octubre 2010 martes
KPMG's partner in Spain believes that the large leveraged buyouts by (wrong preposition) private equity, "the most affected by lack of funding," does not seem to be going to (I would say "look like it'll") revive in the short to medium term.
That's all I have time for now.

I moved your thread to the 'Practice & Homework' forum because you are practicing your translation skills. We aren't a free translation service, so I appreciate that you provided your best attempts at translation.
In this forum, we'll give you hints (and I gave a couple you a couple of corrections or suggestions) to help you arrive at the proper translation.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: