Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Culture
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

More Spanish speakers in the U.S. than in Spain!!!!

Questions about culture and cultural differences between countries and languages.

Old February 23, 2010, 08:22 AM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villa View Post
For a long time the U.S. was in 5th and 4th place for number of Spanish speakers. Now the U.S. has more Spanish speakers than anyother country in the world after Mexico. So the U.S. has more Spanish speakers than Spain now!
Don't forget that there are a total of 21 Spanish speaking countries in the world which makes it just that more fantastico.

Total number of Spanish speakers

Mexico 108,396,211

United States 50,000,000 + 7,820,000 students of Spanish (That's over 50 million Spanish speakers in the U.S.! Fantastico!

Spain 46,745,807

Really very interesting your commentary or contribution with the date exact of the Spanish speaker in anyother country, really there are a lot of people in the United States who speaks the Spanish language, now there are more countries Spanish speaker than English speaker English countries.

Interesting your commentary really.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old February 23, 2010, 08:47 AM
Emerald

Native Language: Español
Ambarina is on a distinguished road
@Poli. Mi sonrisa efectivamente tiene un lado bueno y otro malo. El reconocimiento de una segunda lengua como "oficial" trae sus quebraderos de cabeza, gastos administrativos y desgaste político. Puse Canadá como ejemplo pero aquí en España, como habrás visto en otros hilos, existen los mismos problemas. Para darles relevancia y, hasta cierto punto, para que sigan vivas las lenguas de ciertas autonomías (gallego, catalán, vasco, mallorquín, valenciano) se ha legislado para que sean bilingües las zonas donde existen. ¿Esto que significa? Pongamos que te vas a vivir a Santiago de Compostela pero eres de Toledo. Cuando vayas a hacer cualquier papeleo oficial te puedes encontrar que el formulario está en gallego; cuando busques un colegio para tu hijo la asignatura de geografía por ejemplo se imparte en gallego, castellano o hasta incluso en inglés, etc.; que para ser médico en Santiago tienes que aprender gallego, etc. Como dijo Elaina, "Cuando en Galicia haced como los gallegos".
Old February 23, 2010, 10:22 AM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Desde mis años en escuela me enseñaron que en España la "patria chica" era muy importante y regiones llevaron más importancia que llevaron aquí en EEUU. No obstante las diferencias entre las regiones estadounidenses llevan fuerza. Aquí no tenemos idiomas regionales, pero los accentos varian muchos.
Old February 23, 2010, 11:01 AM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by poli View Post
Desde mis años en escuela me enseñaron que en España la "patria chica" era muy importante y regiones llevaron más importancia que llevaron aquí en EEUU. No obstante las diferencias entre las regiones estadounidenses llevan fuerza. Aquí no tenemos idiomas regionales, pero los accentos varian muchos.
Yes that's right.
Old February 23, 2010, 11:12 AM

Native Language: English, Chinese
Jessica is on a distinguished road
interesting....
Old March 01, 2010, 08:15 PM
Opal

Native Language: English
Tiengasse is on a distinguished road
America is a pretty big place. We have more than enough room to accommodate all the spanish immigrants and spanish speakers. Myself, I just want to learn Español, German, Russian, Japanese, and one really obscure native american conlang that I can't remember it's name right now. If I can find it, and if it's author develops it enough.

Yep yep. I have my work cut out for me.
I just hope the anglos and mexicans make peace. Pease!
Old March 02, 2010, 12:44 PM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiengasse View Post
America is a pretty big place. We have more than enough room to accommodate all the spanish immigrants and spanish speakers. Myself, I just want to learn Español, German, Russian, Japanese, and one really obscure native american conlang that I can't remember it's name right now. If I can find it, and if it's author develops it enough.

Yep yep. I have my work cut out for me.
I just hope the anglos and mexicans make peace. Pease!
Yes American people should to take in mind to immigrants people instead of leaves them in the forgetfulness, already that they are of great useful out, already be for the language that you need to learn or for severals works in United States, now I don't want to speak above the immigrants at this moment, but I believe that it's important that all us and together takes in mind the people who travels to another country in finds to help.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: