Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Teaching and Learning Techniques

Living in South America for 3-9 months

Teaching methodology, learning techniques, linguistics-- any of the various aspect of learning or teaching a foreign language.

Old April 30, 2013, 03:49 PM
Pearl

Native Language: English
Aprendo is on a distinguished road
Living in South America for 3-9 months

I'll be in South America for several months to work and travel. I studied Spanish for 2 years in high school 20 years ago, studied for one month at a time in Guatemala 17 years ago, and have watched Spanish movies and have several Spanish books.

I assume (think) my Spanish level in in the threshold of the upper range of Elementary because of my limited usage of present, both pasts tense usage, present and past continuous.

Present subjunctive is familiar and I can use it in simple sentences when speaking.

Some of the first and second conditionals.

my vocab is large, IMO.

(The threads I've recently started show my use of the subjunctives and pluperperfect (past perfect) is weak, make mistakes, and I am starting out with them, and need to think the sentences out.)

I think this is my chance to progress in Spanish.

Obviously I'll be using it everyday in speaking and listening.

I need to have structured and logical plan to improve and use the more complex grammar functions.

Any additional advice?

Any input will be appreciated.
Old April 30, 2013, 07:22 PM
rule 1: gravity

poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
I'm sure you know that in conducting simple transactons, few words are needed, but if in your conversations you come across something you don't understand, forums can help. In Latin America, there is often an English speaker who can help you if you have some trouble, but if your purpose is to learn Spanish, that's not the best option. If you can find someone to speak Spanish with, of course it will be most helpful. Enjoy your stay.
Old May 01, 2013, 10:40 AM
Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by poli View Post
I'm sure you know that in conducting simple transactons, few words are needed, but if in your conversations you come across something you don't understand, forums can help. In Latin America, there is often an English speaker who can help you if you have some trouble, but if your purpose is to learn Spanish, that's not the best option. If you can find someone to speak Spanish with, of course it will be most helpful. Enjoy your stay.
Cheers, Poli.

I've been living overseas for about 12-13 years. I'm used to being in foreign environments.

As its known, my grammar is very weak and I am trying to improve my grammar and use it correctly, function by function. (Rusty helped me in the grammar section here).

A very serious goal of mine is to improve my Spanish.

I have looked into Spanish schools, but they are pricey (for me).

I will implement a self-study plan and then practice every day.

I will also do some language exchanges. If two partners do it correctly it can help.

I always carry my vocab mini-notebook in my pocket.

I'll need to focus on improving and not just leaning on what I know and what is easy. (That is a common error many self-study and self-practicers make, IMO).

I am watching Spanish "V Me" channel, "Fox Mundo" and some of the Univison newscasts every day for about 2 hours and sometimes more.

The vocab I acquired 20-25 years ago is still in my head and it comes out.
Old May 01, 2013, 11:40 AM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
Maybe you can try using a textbook series and follow the programs step by step from the start. That would help you with your idea of studying every day; it would also help you fill gaps.
And as you may not be having a tutor, you can ask here about the things you don't understand.
Old May 02, 2013, 02:39 AM
Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicaDeAlquezar View Post
Maybe you can try using a textbook series and follow the programs step by step from the start. That would help you with your idea of studying every day; it would also help you fill gaps.
And as you may not be having a tutor, you can ask here about the things you don't understand.
Thanks AngelicaDa,

Yes, I will buy a textbook (need to find appropriate level) and I will go step by step to fill in the gaps.

Yes, I'd like to ask more in the future.

Gracias.
Old May 23, 2013, 11:59 AM
Pearl

14 days in, getting lots of vocab and using it everyday.

I know I need to enroll in a Spanish school for a few weeks at least to tighten up my grammar and will probably do that in 4 weeks.

It´s good to be here.
Old May 23, 2013, 12:10 PM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
¡Buena suerte!
Old May 24, 2013, 11:59 AM
Emerald

Native Language: inglés y español).
Villa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprendo View Post
I'll be in South America for several months to work and travel. I studied Spanish for 2 years in high school 20 years ago, studied for one month at a time in Guatemala 17 years ago, and have watched Spanish movies and have several Spanish books.

I assume (think) my Spanish level in in the threshold of the upper range of Elementary because of my limited usage of present, both pasts tense usage, present and past continuous.

Present subjunctive is familiar and I can use it in simple sentences when speaking.

Some of the first and second conditionals.

my vocab is large, IMO.

(The threads I've recently started show my use of the subjunctives and pluperperfect (past perfect) is weak, make mistakes, and I am starting out with them, and need to think the sentences out.)

I think this is my chance to progress in Spanish.

Obviously I'll be using it everyday in speaking and listening.

I need to have structured and logical plan to improve and use the more complex grammar functions.

Any additional advice?

Any input will be appreciated.
Hola Aprendo. Te felicito por estar en Sud America aprendiendo el español. Tú y yo tenemos mucho en común amigo. A ambos nos gusta aprender español.

Te recomiendo a:

1. Por una cosa empieza a comunicarse con nosotros en español en lugar de inglés.

2.Trate de pensar en español. Cuenta con los numberos en español.
Practique en su mente conversaciones en español..

3. Sólo escucha español por la radio. Sólo mira la televisión en español. Compra libros y libros audio y música en español y escuchalos en un portátil o en casa.

4. Ve a la iglesia en español.

5. Házte un miembro de un gimnasio donde van las personas que hablan sólo español.

6. Ve a una clase de artes marciales donde las clases son en español.

7.Toma clases de baile en español. Eso es lo que hice yo en San Miguel De Allende, Guanajuato, Mexico.

8.Habla por teléfono en español.

9. Lleva contigo a todas partes un diccionario bilingüe dondequiera que vayas y sacalo mucho y estudialo con frecuencia cada minuto libre que tienes.

Lo más importante es tener muchos amigos y una novia que sólo hablan español. Haga que el aprendizaje del español sea tu pasatiempo y tu pasión. Diviértete encima de todo.

Estas son las cosas que he hecho para aprender el español e el italiano en México, California e Italia.

Last edited by Villa; May 24, 2013 at 12:03 PM.
Old June 19, 2013, 10:28 AM
Pearl

Villa,

Thanks for the advice and info. My 'thanks' is delayed because I have spotty wife which means intermittent internet access.

I a following all of your points. It helps.

Gracias.
Old August 31, 2013, 12:41 PM
Emerald

Native Language: inglés y español).
Villa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprendo View Post
Villa,

Thanks for the advice and info. My 'thanks' is delayed because I have spotty wife which means intermittent internet access.

I a following all of your points. It helps.

Gracias.
Gracias a ti Aprendo. Since you are going to South America I thought
you might enjoy this:

Argentina, Chile and Uruguay : South America

Last edited by AngelicaDeAlquezar; August 31, 2013 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Removed superfluous information around the link

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: