Old May 09, 2012, 01:40 PM
Opal

jfred38 is on a distinguished road
Translations

I know this is long, but could someone please translate the following sentances into Spanish? Google translator does not do it accurately using the correct tense. Thank you!

Inti Raymi is a festival that takes place in Cuzco, Peru on June 24th, which is the date of the southern hemispheres winter solstice. It is celebrated in honor of the Sun God, and is now the second largest festival in South America.

Festival guests worship the Sun God so he can bring them a good harvest. Young people and old people alike enjoy the festivities.

The people dance and play instruments. They have a party in the streets.

When we went to Peru, we received invitations to the festival. We attended a street fair and bought flowers, candy and cookies. The street decorations were very beautiful.

We also went to concerts where they had live music from Peruvian musical groups. Preparations for the festival take place a year in advance.

Our plans are already made for the next time we visit Peru. We plan to go to the ceremony of the Sun God. We will also have a picnic with las empanadas and el ponche.
As always, we will show photos of the festival to our friends.

We also plan on watching the sacrifice of the white llamas and plan to talk to the locals.

We think that Inti Raymi shows that people still hold onto the traditions of their Incan ancestors What plans do you have for your next vacation? You might consider attending Inti Raymi.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old May 09, 2012, 02:20 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Please try your hand at translation first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfred38 View Post
... sentences into Spanish? Google translator does not do it accurately ...

Inti Raymi is a festival ... of the southern hemisphere's winter solstice.
We think that Inti Raymi shows that people still hold onto the traditions of their Incan ancestors. What plans ...
Old May 09, 2012, 02:41 PM
Opal

Inti Raymi is a festival that takes place in Cuzco, Peru on June 24th, which is the date of the southern hemispheres winter solstice. It is celebrated in honor of the Sun God, and is now the second largest festival in South America.
Inti Raymi es una fiesta que se lleva a cabo en Cuzco, Perú el 24 de junio, que es la fecha del solsticio de invierno en el hemisferio sur. Se celebra en honor del dios del sol y ahora es el festival más grande en segundo lugar en América del Sur.

Festival guests worship the Sun God so he can bring them a good harvest. Young people and old people alike enjoy the festivities.
Invitados del festival adorar al Dios Sol por lo que puede traer una buena cosecha. Los jóvenes, así como las personas mayores disfrutar de las fiestas.

The people dance and play instruments. They have a party in the streets.
La carpa la gente y los instrumentos de juego. Tienen una fiesta en las calles.

When we went to Peru, we received invitations to the festival. We attended a street fair and bought flowers, candy and cookies. The street decorations were very beautiful.
Cuando fuimos a Perú, que recibimos invitaciones para la fiesta. Hemos asistido a una feria de la calle y compré flores, dulces y galletas. La decoración de la calle eran muy bonitas.

We also went to concerts where they had live music from Peruvian musical groups. Preparations for the festival take place a year in advance.
También fuimos a los conciertos, donde tenían música en vivo de grupos musicales peruanas. Los preparativos para el festival de tomar un año de antelación.

Our plans are already made for the next time we visit Peru. We plan to go to the ceremony of the Sun God. We will also have a picnic with las empanadas and el ponche.
Nuestros planes ya están hechas para el momento en que nido de visitar el Perú. Tenemos la intención de ir a la ceremonia en el dios del sol. También vamos a hacer un picnic con las empanadas y ponche el. Como siempre, vamos a mostrar las fotos de la fiesta a nuestros amigos.

We also plan on watching the sacrifice of the white llamas and to talk to the locals.
También tenemos previsto en ver el sacrificio de las llamas blancas y va a hablar con los lugareños.

We think that Inti Raymi shows that people still hold onto the traditions of their Incan ancestors What plans do you have for your next vacation? You might consider attending Inti Raymi. Creemos que el Inti Raymi demuestra que la gente Stll aferrarse a las tradiciones de sus antepasados ​​incas. ¿Qué planes tiene para su vacaton que viene? Usted podría considerar asistir a Inti Raymi.
Old May 09, 2012, 03:12 PM
Señor Speedy

Machine translations do a poor job of translating, don't they?

What is your level of Spanish?
The reason I ask is two-fold. We aren't a free translation service, so we'd expect you to figure out the correct translation with some guidance from us.

You mentioned before that the translator wasn't conjugating verbs into the right tense. That's partially correct; it also left some verbs unconjugated and cast others in the wrong person.
This could have been caused by entering things incorrectly. For example, 'stll' was entered instead of 'still'. I think 'vacaton' was entered instead 'vacation'. It also messed up 'el ponche'. You need to translate this (and 'las empadas') into English to get a better translation into Spanish. The person changed in the middle of the sentence that begins with 'We attended a street fair'. In the sentence after that one, the subject is singular but the original version had it in plural. Except for the wrong subject, the rest of the translation into Spanish went well. Go figure.

Again, we aren't a free translation service. Unless you'd like us to mark the mistakes and give you hints as to how to fix them, you may want to pay a translation service to do the translation work.
Old May 09, 2012, 04:04 PM
Opal

I am in Spanish 2 in high school. We havn't learned a lot of this yet and have to get help on our own to figure it out for a project. I would appreciate any help at all, even if it is just hints and to point out the mistakes.
Old May 09, 2012, 04:08 PM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
You still have to make your own effort. Then we can help you. Otherwise, you won't learn much. ;(
Old May 09, 2012, 04:23 PM
Opal

This is the best I can do, I'm not sure on half it:

Inti Raymi es una fiesta que......en Cuzco, Peru en el 24 de junio......es la fecha..............La fiesta es celebra...........

Los invitados de fiesta......... Los jovenes y los mayores les gustan.....

Las personas bailan y tocan los instrumentos. Ellos tienen una fiesta en las calles.

Cuando fuimos en Peru, recibimos unas invitaciones para la fiesta.

I can't do anymore right now because I have to leave for a choir practice but I will try the rest when I get home in a couple of hours. Thanks

Alright, I'm back.

Cuando fuimos en Peru, recibimos unas invitaciones para la fiesta. Fuimos.....y compramos las flores, los dulces, y las galletas. Las decoraciones de la calle....muy bonitas.

Tambien, fuimos a los conciertos donde.....musica de grupos de..... Los preparativos para la fiesta........

Nuestros planes ya .....para...vamos Peru. Pensamos ir......... Tambien, vamos a hacer un picnic con las empanadas y el ponche. Como siempre, vamos a ensenar fotos de la fiesta a nos amigos.

Tambien, pensamos ver...de....de blanco y pensamos charlar a....

.....Inti Raymi.....las personas......................... Que planes tienen para tu vacacion? Tu.......Inti Raymi.

That's honestly the best I can do. Some of the words I have no clue how to say and therefore I used the dots to skip over them. Please help! Thank you.

Last edited by AngelicaDeAlquezar; May 09, 2012 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts.
Old May 09, 2012, 10:27 PM
Señor Speedy

Inti Raymi is a festival that takes place in Cuzco, Peru on June 24th, which is the date of the southern hemisphere's winter solstice.
Inti Raymi es una fiesta que ...... (the machine gave 'se lleva a cabo', which is OK - 'llevarse a cabo' (the infinitive form) is an idiomatic expression that means 'take place' - if you don't have a good enough dictionary to find this, you can think of a replacement for 'take place', like 'occur' - this verb is easily found in a dictionary and conjugation is a cinch) en Cuzco, Peru en (omit) el 24 de junio, ...... es la fecha (the machine gave 'que es la fecha' - I would use 'día' as the translation of 'date') ...... (the machine gave 'del solsticio de invierno en el hemisferio sur' - this is a good translation - note how 'winter solstice', two nouns, the first modifying the second, is rendered in Spanish (main noun + 'de' + modifier noun))

It is celebrated in honor of the Sun God, and is now the second largest festival in South America.
La fiesta ('it' is the subject, instead of 'la fiesta', but when 'it' is the subject, it isn't said) es celebra (the English version is in the passive voice, and the machine gave the more common way to express it (the passive voice isn't used nearly as often as we use it in English) - you almost got the passive voice right - it's 'ser' + 'past participle', so 'es celebrado' is what you meant to write - REMEMBER, though, that the passive voice alternative the machine gave is much better to use) ...... (the machine translation 'en honor del dios del sol' is good, but 'en honor del dios Sol' is probably a better translation - the rest of the translation given by the machine is a bit clunky - I would search for how to say the literal 'the festival second most big' if I were you)

Festival guests worship the Sun God so he can bring them a good harvest.
Los invitados de fiesta (here you did better than the machine) ...... (the machine offered an unconjugated 'adorar' for 'worship' - if you conjugate it, that'd be a good choice for the verb - notice the 'al dios Sol' that follows the verb - this is correct (better machine translation of 'the Sun God' in this sentence) - if you don't understand the word 'al', let us know - the words that the machine gave next are garbage - the correct translation of 'so he can bring them' requires use of the subjunctive mood, which you probably don't know - you may want to revise the sentence, using structures you know - start with the correct translation of 'bring them' ('them' is an indirect object pronoun))

Young people and old people alike enjoy the festivities.
Los jovenes y los mayores les gustan ...... (the machine translation was closer, but it failed to conjugate the verb, again)

The people dance and play instruments.
Las personas bailan y tocan los instrumentos. (here you did MUCH better than the machine! - Instead of 'las personas', use 'la gente' - note that this subject is singular, unlike your choice, but at least your choice of verbs was CORRECT - make sure to check subject-verb agreement when you change the subject)

They have a party in the streets.
(Ellos) tienen una fiesta en las calles. (The subject is already known, so there's no need to provide the subject pronoun in Spanish. You've moved the focus from the group to the individuals, which is what I would do.)

When we went to Peru, we received invitations to the festival.
Cuando fuimos en Peru, recibimos unas invitaciones para/a la fiesta. (again, you did BETTER than the machine)

We attended a street fair and bought flowers, candy and cookies.
Fuimos (look up 'attend' and conjugate it into the preterite) ...... ('una feria de la calle' is correct) y compramos (very good - you got the right person and it is in the preterite) las flores, los dulces, y las galletas. (omit the articles)

The street decorations were very beautiful.
Las decoraciones (much better than the machine's choice of subject) de la calle ...... ('eran' is the imperfect tense of 'ser' - I would change it to the preterite tense) muy bonitas.

We also went to concerts where they had live music from Peruvian musical groups.
Tambien, fuimos a los conciertos donde ...... (the machine used the imperfect tense - this is fine, but I would choose another verb, like 'tocar', and conjugate it in the imperfect tense) musica (you left out 'live' here - the machine had it right) de grupos de..... (use an adjective to modify 'grupos' instead of trying to use two nouns)

Preparations for the festival take place a year in advance.
Los preparativos para la fiesta (translate 'the festival') ...... (the machine translation is a mess - try conjugating 'llevarse a cabo' or a simpler verb, like 'make' using the passive 'se' construction the machine used above (instead of the passive voice) - 'un año de antelación' is a good translation; there are others)

Our plans are already made for the next time we visit Peru.
Nuestros planes ya ...... (the machine gave 'están hechas' - can you see the mistake in it?) para ...... (the word 'nido' in the machine translation came from a mistake you made, most likely, typing 'nest' instead of 'next' - try looking up 'the next time' - use 'vez' instead of 'tiempo', for 'time') vamos Peru (translate 'visit Peru', and don't forget the accent in the country's name).

We plan to go to the ceremony of the Sun God.
Pensamos ir (very good alternative!) ...... (after 'a la ceremonia' the machine has it wrong - I've already given you the correct translation for 'of the Sun God')

We will also have a picnic with las empanadas and el ponche.
Tambien, vamos a hacer un picnic con las empanadas y el ponche. (no articles needed)

Como siempre, vamos a ensenar (the machine's choice of verb is better (you misspelled your choice) - you need an article before 'fotos') fotos de la fiesta a nos (use the determiner 'our' here, like you did three sentences higher, instead of an object pronoun) amigos.

We also plan on watching the sacrifice of the white llamas and to talk to the locals.
Tambien, pensamos ver (good alternative) ...... (translate 'the sacrifice of white llamas' - 'blanco' is an adjective, not a noun that modifies a noun, so there's no 'noun' + 'de' + 'noun' structure needed here ->) de....de blanco (check noun-adjective agreement) y pensamos charlar a (I like 'charlar' - very good) ...... (translate 'the locals' - some alternatives: 'people', 'inhabitants', 'city folk' - what the machine gave is not commonly used)

First off, thanks for giving this a shot. In more than a few cases, you actually provided a better translation than the machine gave. Good job!

I have separated out each sentence so that hints (in purple) could be written for each one. The mistakes are in red. I ran out of time, but have given you plenty to think about. Ask questions about anything you don't understand. Repost corrected sentences so we can have another look.

Last edited by Rusty; May 10, 2012 at 08:43 AM. Reason: changed some wording and improved look
Old May 10, 2012, 06:11 AM
Opal

thanks! I'll work on it later today.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: