Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Grammar

no le habisan

This is the place for questions about conjugations, verb tenses, adverbs, adjectives, word order, syntax and other grammar questions for English or Spanish.

Old February 24, 2009, 06:51 PM
Pearl

hola is on a distinguished road
no le habisan

Anyone know what this girl is trying to say? any errors in her writing?

"he estado muy nostalgica por que no le habisan de nada a mi mama y no veo cercana la posibilidad de tenerlos aqui ya"
"i've been very nostalgic because _______ nothing of my mother and i don't see a close possibllity that they have it here now.

Last edited by Rusty; February 24, 2009 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Provided new title - moved old title to body of message

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old February 24, 2009, 07:33 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
He estado muy nostálgica porque no le avisan de nada a mi mamá y no veo ni cercana la posibilidad de tenerlos aquí ya.
= I've been very nostalgic because they don't tell my mother anything and I don't see even a close possibility of having them here now.
Old February 24, 2009, 08:58 PM
Pearl

see thats what i mean about spanish. people don't use the words that they should use.

instead of saying "of having them here now", why couldn't she have simply said "no veo ninguna posibilidad que estarán aqui ya."

it doesn't help that she can't even spell well. she appears to be writing it like she is talking it.

thanks Rusty. did she make any errors?
Old February 24, 2009, 09:10 PM
Señor Speedy

Translations aren't always given word-for-word (I take some liberties), and there is more than one way to say things.
You'll encounter a lot of people who don't spell very well. That's just a fact of life. Spelling errors (accent omission included) were the only errors.
I added the word ni, but it doesn't really need to be there.
Old February 24, 2009, 10:21 PM
Pearl

Rusty let me ask you something, could she have used my alternative? or would my alternative be saying something different?
Old February 24, 2009, 10:27 PM
Señor Speedy

Your alternative makes the chance (opportunity) even more remote.
I wouldn't use the future tense in your alternative. That also changes the sentence.
Instead, I would use the subjunctive mood (since the statement is saying something contrary to fact). Use either the present or the imperfect subjunctive - estén or estuvieran.
The preposition de needs to follow posibilidad.

Last edited by Rusty; February 25, 2009 at 09:03 AM.
Old February 25, 2009, 02:00 AM
Pearl

may i ask why you suggest using the imperfect in my alternative? none of this is about something that ocurred in the distant past? and i think the fact that my alternative making the possibility more remote falls right in line w/ her not seeing any possibility of her mother being there. no?

in fact i think the word that i should have used was estuvieren.
Old February 25, 2009, 08:28 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hola View Post
may i ask why you suggest using the imperfect in my alternative? none of this is about something that ocurred in the distant past? and i think the fact that my alternative making the possibility more remote falls right in line w/ her not seeing any possibility of her mother being there. no?

in fact i think the word that i should have used was estuvieren.
I am sorry for interrupting. I just want to say, like Rusty already mentioned, that there are many way to say the *same* thing in Spanish and *English*.

Estuvieran, estuviesen o estuvieren todas serían correctas. Estuvieran, es la mas común ahora.
Old February 25, 2009, 09:26 AM
Señor Speedy

I've mentioned on several occasions lately that the future subjunctive isn't used in normal conversation by anyone. Do not use it.

Estuvieran and estuviesen are identical in meaning. There are two ways to use the imperfect subjunctive. The latter is used more in Spain and in literary works.

I didn't suggest that you use the imperfect subjunctive. I said that either the present or the imperfect subjunctive could be used. What I didn't say, because I assumed you may already know it, was that it depends on perceived time. If you're thinking the action is in the present or the future, use the present subjunctive estén.

Here is a very informative link about the subjunctive.
Old February 25, 2009, 11:55 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
I've mentioned on several occasions lately that the future subjunctive isn't used in normal conversation by anyone. Do not use it.

Estuvieran and estuviesen are identical in meaning. There are two ways to use the imperfect subjunctive. The latter is used more in Spain and in literary works.

I didn't suggest that you use the imperfect subjunctive. I said that either the present or the imperfect subjunctive could be used. What I didn't say, because I assumed you may already know it, was that it depends on perceived time. If you're thinking the action is in the present or the future, use the present subjunctive estén.

Here is a very informative link about the subjunctive.

I beg to differ .

I live in Las Vegas, and lived also for about 12 years in Los Angeles. There are many Mexicans, Central Americans and South Americans that still use those forms. I concur with you it should not be used, but everyone needs to know of those because they are still in use, by large amount of people.

Tags
future subjunctive, subjunctive

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: