Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Vocabulary > Idioms & Sayings

I work in a restaurant with Hispanic coworkers

An idiom is an expression whose meaning is not readily apparent based on the individual words in the expression. This forum is dedicated to discussing idioms and other sayings.

Old June 08, 2017, 07:38 PM
Opal

Lbmoye is on a distinguished road
Smile I work in a restaurant with Hispanic coworkers

Hey everyone! I work in a small restaurant as a waitress and work with a woman named Mrs. Marta. Mrs. Marta is our dishwasher and speaks Spanish, and I believe Shen may speak very limited English. I always try to use my best manners when speaking to all of my coworkers, and wouldn't want to treat her differently due to a language barrier. So my issue is that when I have to communicate specific things to her, I would like to treat her with the same amount of respect as my other coworkers when saying things such as "Excuse me" (when walking past her), or "Thank you" or "please", by speaking in her first language. I'd also like to specifically learn to ask "Would you please wash the silverware now?" (Very politely) Because currently, we simply hand her the silverware without a word. Lastly, I understand the simple "gracias", however, I refer to my older coworkers as "Mrs." and "Mr.", and im not sure how to say "Mrs" is Spanish. Thank you everyone! I'm truly coming from a place of ignorance and would love to expand my understanding on this subject!
Old June 08, 2017, 08:25 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Understand first that there is no single way to say these phrases. And the degree of formality and politeness cannot be a guessing game on our part. So, without a little more knowledge about how formal and how polite you want to sound, we'd provide the wrong translation.
Are you certain that only silverware is being washed by her, or does she do all the dishes?

Understand second that we are not a free translation service. We are a community of Spanish learners. Those that speak Spanish as their mother tongue are here to learn English. If you're here to learn Spanish, we ask that you provide us your translation first and then we'll help you perfect it.

"Mrs. Marta" is simply a title and a first name. This would be translated as "Sra. Marta," where "Sra." is the abbreviation of "Señora."

Perdóneme = Excuse me
Por favor = Please
¿Nos hará el favor de lavar los platos ahora? = Would you please wash the dishes now?

Tags
language barrier, manners, polite, restaurant, simple

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: