Old August 14, 2010, 06:03 AM
Pearl

Native Language: American English
Chris is on a distinguished road
Learn a word and hear it often

Is this some sort of phenomenon? Once I hear a word, I start hearing it often. Almost like I was deaf to it before... This happens in English a lot. Learning many words in a short amount of time in Spanish the same thing happens but much more rapidly. What was neat was that Thursday or there about I learned a word and immediately they said it on TV. I expect to hear the words in Spanish but I think it's just really odd in English.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old August 14, 2010, 06:34 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Is this some sort of phenomenon? Once I hear a word, I start hearing it often. Almost like I was deaf to it before... This happens in English a lot. Learning many words in a short amount of time in Spanish the same thing happens but much more rapidly. What was neat was that Thursday or there about I learned a word and immediately they said it on TV. I expect to hear the words in Spanish but I think it's just really odd in English.
It is natural.

At first, when you hear a conversation in the other language, all is mumbo jumbo, but as time goes by, and you get acquainted with more vocabulary your mind starts to recognize words and starts to make connections.

That's why I advocate to watch movies without subtitling. The whole method accelerate the learning process.
Old August 14, 2010, 07:51 AM
Pearl

The English word I heard last night was vestigial while watching The Soup. I looked it up in the dictionary and found it's meaning. After the TV show was over I got on this site and was looking at some blog posts when low and behold there was the word vestige. It's really just strange the way it happens.
Old August 14, 2010, 09:54 AM
Opal

Native Language: English
El Teboso is on a distinguished road
The same thing happens to me, but also with cultural references. For example, when I first read the book dune: They had the bit about the gom jabbar. The very next day, I was watching billy and mandy, (A show in the United states), and there was a gom jabbar reference. I was like, "oh, Wow!"(Well, not exactly "wow", I said something else, heheheh). That happens a lot.

The more you learn culture references, the more they pop up when you're reading or just living life.
Old August 14, 2010, 10:29 AM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Yes it has happened to me too.
But when I learn a new word for me or at least if the word is unknown for me, then I tend to write the word in a paper piece and well I study the word all the days, although sometimes before I learn a words that actually isn't used for the English and I had to corrected it with the new word..

Don't worry all us have the same trouble.
Old August 14, 2010, 02:12 PM
Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Teboso View Post
The same thing happens to me, but also with cultural references. For example, when I first read the book dune: They had the bit about the gom jabbar. The very next day, I was watching billy and mandy, (A show in the United states), and there was a gom jabbar reference. I was like, "oh, Wow!"(Well, not exactly "wow", I said something else, heheheh). That happens a lot.

The more you learn culture references, the more they pop up when you're reading or just living life.
I've noticed some cultural references as well. I was watching part of LOTR and saw a bit about golam. Well a while later I was listening to some Led Zepplin and there Golam was in the song. "then Gollam and the evil one crept up and slipped away with her. Her. Her yeah."
Old August 15, 2010, 07:56 PM
Diamond

Hello.

I will do a open question.
Anyone can orient me.

I'm interested in.
What Lort is?

It's a kind of video game for computer or some movie, really I don't know what it is.

I'll appreciate your contribution.

Last edited by CrOtALiTo; August 15, 2010 at 07:58 PM.
Old August 15, 2010, 07:59 PM
Pearl

LotR - Lord of the Rings

It's a series of books that was recently turned into a movie. People go crazy over it. Ironically it's about a person that goes crazy over something else.
Old August 15, 2010, 08:05 PM
Diamond

Oh I got it.
I've seen the three movies about, really the movie is very wonderful and amazing in the especial effects.

Thank you for your advice.
Old August 16, 2010, 03:16 AM
Ruby

Native Language: Lithuanian, Russian
HomoVulgaris is on a distinguished road
Have you noticed, that this is applicable to other things, not only languages?

My colleague once has told me about her childhood experience. Initially the grass in the meadow was just a grass for her. When her granddad started to teach her the names of plants, it started to look different - it just exploded in her mind and she had spent hours lying in the grass and just watching.
---
Se han notado antes, que lo mismo es aplicable para otras cosas, y no solo para lenguajes?

Mi compañera de trabajo me había contado de su experiencia en la juventud. A principios la pradera a ella solo estaba la pradera y nada más. Cuando su abuelo la empezó a enseñar a los nombres de las hierbas, la pradera no estaba la misma. La pradera reventó en su percepción y ella ha pasado horas estando tendida en la hierba y solo miranda.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: