Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Technical things

Attaching spanish subtitles

Technical "how-to" issues concerning using this site and language learning in general.

Old January 10, 2010, 09:36 AM
Pearl

Native Language: English (USA)
tacuba is on a distinguished road
Attaching spanish subtitles

I have quite a few movies on DVD that are Spanish language with English subtitles. Usually I turn off the English subtitles because I don't want to associate the Spanish spoken in the movie with the English words appearing on the screen. However, there are several movies where I had always wished there were Spanish subtitles so I could associate the spoken Spanish with Spanish vocabulary. I found out this week how to do this.

First, download and install two free programs: VLC Media Player and Bitripper.
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/M...bitRipper.html

Now put your DVD into the computer and open Bitripper. The program should see the DVD in your computer. Before you start ripping the DVD, go to "Settings" and at the top you'll see a menu under "Video" that says "Codec". Choose "Xvid-Mpeg-4 codec". Click OK and start ripping. This will create an AVI file on your computer. When the ripping is done (about 30-45 minutes) go to the folder with the AVI file and rename it to the movie title. So you end up with, for example, La Misma Luna.avi.

Next, you will need to download the subtitles. I use this site: http://www.opensubtitles.org/en
Enter the movie title in the Search Box, pick Spanish from the drop-down menu, and if the file is available, download it to the same directory as your AVI movie file. This file should have an .srt or .sub extension. Rename the file to the exact name of your movie, ex: La Misma Luna.srt

Now open your AVI movie with the VLC Media Player. Go to the "Video" menu on the VLC player and choose "Subtitles Track", then choose "Open File". Load your subtitle file and you're ready to go.

Some of the movies I've done this with are: "La Misma Luna"; "María Llena de Gracia"; "Sin Nombre"; and "Rudo y Cursi".

For you Spanish speakers learning English, the exact same process will apply, but using English subs with English movies.

Enjoy.

Last edited by tacuba; January 10, 2010 at 11:17 AM.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old January 10, 2010, 11:51 AM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Very useful your post, really it will can help them with the subtitles.

Until I need sometimes the software, because I bought movies without English subtitles.
Old January 10, 2010, 01:34 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés (en-gb)
pjt33 is on a distinguished road
No es posible hacerlo directamente con el DVD?
Old January 10, 2010, 03:27 PM
Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjt33 View Post
No es posible hacerlo directamente con el DVD?
¿Directamente? No creo que sí.

Pero, se puede convertir el archivo AVI con subtitulos al DVD usando este programa.
http://www.vso-software.fr/products/convert_x_to_dvd/

Es poco complicado y cuesta $49.99 US, pero lo he usado y funciona muy bien y rapidamente.

Buena suerte

Old January 10, 2010, 05:34 PM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacuba View Post
Me sorprende. Con mplayer sí que puedes (aunque tiene un bug y hay que manipular el .srt para ver subtítulos que duran más de 7 segundos).
Old January 10, 2010, 06:18 PM
Ruby

Native Language: English
Satyr is on a distinguished road
I add spanish subtitless to all the shows and movies that I download using torrents. It helps a ton with learning Spanish. www.solosubtitulos.com is where i find the spanish subtitles.

TIP:
If your .avi movie file and .srt subtitle file have the same name and are in the same folder then VLC mediaplayer automatically plays the subtitles.
Old January 10, 2010, 07:35 PM
Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjt33 View Post
Me sorprende. Con mplayer sí que puedes (aunque tiene un bug y hay que manipular el .srt para ver subtítulos que duran más de 7 segundos).
¡Tienes razón! Acabo de descargar el programa que mencionaste y sí se puede ver los subtitulos en el DVD de un archivo de la computadora.

¿Pero no se puede estampar el .srt archivo al DVD, verdad? Los DVD de que estoy hablando son los que compré en tienda. Son legítimos.

Muchísimas gracias.

Last edited by tacuba; January 10, 2010 at 07:51 PM.
Old January 11, 2010, 01:45 AM
Diamond

Hay otro programa de los mismos programadores, mencoder, que convierte vídeo entre formatos, etc. Es probable que te permita hacer una imagen de disco, aunque dudo que pueda grabarla al disco sin otro programa. No tengo grabador de DVD, así que nunca lo he intentado, pero sí que he añadido subtítulos al contenido de un DVD y lo he convertido en una imagen de VCD en un solo paso.
Old January 11, 2010, 01:30 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Pero, se puede convertir el archivo AVI con subtitulos al DVD usando este programa.
http://www.vso-software.fr/products/convert_x_to_dvd/

Es poco complicado y cuesta $49.99 US, pero lo he usado y funciona muy bien y rapidamente.

Buena suerte
Yes you can do it with a software named recordDVD Crip.

Really you need to buy him with a licence of more a year, so you will can add subtitles and also new languages.
Old May 26, 2010, 01:43 PM
Opal

paddel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Some of the movies I've done this with are: [I]"La Misma Luna"; "María Llena de Gracia"; "Sin Nombre"; and "Rudo y Cursi".
Hola, me puedes decir como lograste encontrar los subtitulos de "Sin Nombre"?! No las puedo encontrar en la pagina indicada. Te lo agradeciería si me las mandaras a mi correo directamente (o los subs o el enlace):

Es bastante urgente, así que gracias por tu ayuda!!

Last edited by Rusty; May 26, 2010 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Quité la dirección de correo electrónico

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: