Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Translations
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

A couple questions about this passage

If you need help translating a sentence or longer piece of text, use this forum. For translations or definitions of a single word or idiom, use the vocabulary forum.

Old August 11, 2023, 09:33 PM
Ruby

createdamadman is on a distinguished road
A couple questions about this passage

I'm unclear on what the bolded parts below mean. I know "hablando entre nosotros" can mean "talking amongst ourselves", but that doesn't seem to make sense here. And the second part, "muy demandada", seems to mean "high demand", but I'm confused by that too.

Al no obtener respuesta, Pascal no dudó en ser el primero en iniciar de nuevo la conversación.

—No he tenido una vida fácil, camaradas. A mi padre ni lo conocí. Mi madre era una mujer de esas, ya saben, de vida alegre, hablando entre nosotros, y al parecer estaba muy demandada cuando se quedó embarazada de mí. Mal negocio resulté, ya que tuvo que dejar las calles un tiempo.

»Me crió mi abuelita, aunque tampoco lo era realmente, sino que era la patrona de la pensión donde vivía mi madre. Una buena mujer, si no fuera porque arañaba hasta el último franco y nos mantenía a base de pan, agua y sopa de huesos de cerdo. No se dejen engañar por la fama de París, allí la vida es tan perra como cualquier parte.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old August 11, 2023, 10:22 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
You can translate «hablando entre nosotros» as 'just between you and me' or 'keep that under your hat'.
His mom was in 'high demand', as you supposed. We're talking about a woman of the streets here, and she had lots of customers. Pascal being born meant his mom having to leave the streets for a while (his birth putting his mom's business on hold).

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: