Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Grammar
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Bad Spelling and Grammar

This is the place for questions about conjugations, verb tenses, adverbs, adjectives, word order, syntax and other grammar questions for English or Spanish.

Old December 22, 2016, 07:37 PM
Ruby

Native Language: English (U.S.)
Depilego is on a distinguished road
Bad Spelling and Grammar

I spend a lot of time on Facebook and YouTube (and other websites), and I've noticed that most people have terrible spelling and grammar, or, they just don't care.

I see a lot of posts from foreign-speaking people, laughing at English-speaking people because they can't even write in their native language correctly. They call them uneducated.

I'm wondering if that is common with other languages too, or if it's just an English thing. I know people will make mistakes. I make my own. But, when I start reading through Spanish posts on YouTube or other websites, can I expect to run into the same things?

I'm just interested if this is an English thing, American thing, or if it happens in Spanish too. It might help me when learning, because I'll know if something doesn't make sense, it's probably just a lazy writer.

I'm not immune from making mistakes, and I'm not trying to make fun of people who do. But from a learning perspective, it just seems like a huge number of English-speaking people just don't care.

If you've spent any time online, reading comments, you'll know what I'm talking about.
Old December 22, 2016, 07:54 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Bad spelling appears everywhere, in English and in Spanish.
(Supposedly, it doesn't happen in phonetic languages like German.)

Expect to see poor grammar and spelling mistakes in both English and Spanish. That is one of the reasons an online translator will fail you.

I can't stress enough that you should learn correct grammar and spelling. Later, once you've got those down, you'll be able to deal better with the atrocities out there (that no one seems to care about).
Old December 22, 2016, 08:03 PM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
I subscribe Rusty's words. These atrocities are also overwhelming in French.
Old December 22, 2016, 08:29 PM
Ruby

Native Language: English (U.S.)
Depilego is on a distinguished road
I was wondering about it, because I was also interested in learning Korean at some point. I have seen a few lessons on Hangul, and from what I've heard they are incredibly anal about the language. They don't even tolerate tiny mistakes. I saw kids failing in school because they drew a line from top to bottom, instead of bottom to top, even though the result looked exactly the same.

I'm not sure how much is true, but being a Korean language, it doesn't surprise me if they expect it to be perfect.
Old December 22, 2016, 10:40 PM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Because Spanish is so easy to spell, most misspellings are on purpose. Many people like to use the letter k for example, and that letter doesn't exist is Spanish. It's a shortcut for que. I think it's supposed to show your modern or something if you use it. Honest Spanish misspellings often occur with the letters b and v which, in most accents, both sound like b. English, on the other hand, gives everyone great opportunities to flub, but thanks to spell check, we can all look like spelling bee champions.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: