Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Practice & Homework
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Subjunctive or infinitive?

Practice Spanish or English here. All replies to a thread should be in the same language as the first post.

Old March 26, 2012, 07:54 PM
Opal

Native Language: English - American
Sunflower is on a distinguished road
Subjunctive or infinitive?

I'm writing a composition for class, and I have a question about this sentence:

"Incluso la abuela venía de su cuarto, cojeando con su bastón, para mirar un pobre pajarito (que) perder/perdiera su cabeza."

It's supposed to say, "Even the grandmother would come out of her bedroom, hobbling on her cane, to watch a poor little bird lose its head." Just the infinitive doesn't look right to me, but I'm not sure if I'm using the subjunctive right either. Help please?

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old March 26, 2012, 09:10 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Spanish (Castilian, peninsular)
JPablo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflower View Post

"Incluso la abuela venía de su cuarto, cojeando con su bastón, para mirar un pobre pajarito perder su cabeza."

It's supposed to say, "Even the grandmother would come out of her bedroom, hobbling on her cane, to watch a poor little bird lose its head." Just the infinitive doesn't look right to me, but I'm not sure if I'm using the subjunctive right either. Help please?
I think infinitive may work. But I have put in red a couple of things you may fix in your translation.

You could also say, "cómo un pajarito perdía la cabeza" (more or less literally, "how a little bird would lose its head")

Not sure if I told you too much... but check on the red words for a better Spanish wording...
Old March 26, 2012, 10:08 PM
Opal

Native Language: English - American
Sunflower is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPablo View Post
I think infinitive may work. But I have put in red a couple of things you may fix in your translation.

You could also say, "cómo un pajarito perdía la cabeza" (more or less literally, "how a little bird would lose its head")

Not sure if I told you too much... but check on the red words for a better Spanish wording...
Thank you! I think I overthink the subjunctive sometimes.

As for the words in red, would it be better to use salía and ver, respectively? If not, what do you suggest, and why?

My instructor won't correct things like this. If "venir" means "to come" and I use it to mean "to come," he will leave it as written, even if "salir" would have been a better choice. And I don't blame him; he doesn't have the time to nitpick every less-than-perfect word choice when there are students still struggling to understand the basic concepts. So I am very grateful for any fine-tuning in my Spanish because I won't receive it anywhere else!
Old March 27, 2012, 12:06 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Spanish (Castilian, peninsular)
JPablo is on a distinguished road
You are welcome.
You got it right. (salía/ver)
I don’t see any reason not to be as precise as possible. Not that one has to be literal, but if one can be exact in communicating concepts, while being as idiomatic as possible in the target language, the better. Of course, no reason to nitpick unnecessarily... and to concentrate on what you are teaching, learning one thing at a time, makes sense, but as you progress you can always set your standard a little bit higher and higher as you go...

Last edited by JPablo; March 27, 2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old April 02, 2012, 04:44 PM
Pearl

Native Language: español
micho is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflower View Post

"Incluso la abuela venía de su cuarto, cojeando con su bastón, para mirar un pobre pajarito (que) perder/perdiera su cabeza."

Como se ha indicado anteriormente, creo que "... para mirar como un pobre pajarito perdía la cabeza" es correcto.
Estuve intentado hacer otras frases "para mirar a un pobre pajarito perdiendo la cabeza", "para ver a un pobre pajarito perder la cabeza" (sin mirar) y yo creo que en este caso se adaptaría mejor.
Mirar implica intención de ver y no se usan de la misma forma.

Last edited by micho; April 02, 2012 at 05:04 PM.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: