Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Other Languages > Other Languages

Portuguese

Being the language lovers that we are... A place to talk about, or write in languages other than Spanish and English.

Old August 21, 2013, 05:45 AM
Emerald

Liquinn3 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villa View Post
They say people learn best when there is a need to learn or an opportunity to learn. I lived in Italy so I had a need and a desire to learn Italian. I live in California where there are many Spanish speakers so I learned Spanish. I was around Brazilian Portuguese speakers so I learned Portuguese.

Learn Spanish well and then if you ever have a need to learn Portuguese, Italian or French you'll have a strong background to do so with your Spanish. Learning one of any of the Latin based languages is at the same time learning some of all of them. This is the beauty of learning Spanish it's will help you learn all the Latin based languages. Just another good reason to learn Spanish.

Buena pregunta, mi amiguito. Me gusta la cultura brasileña. La música, el baile y la gente. Tengo amigos que han ido a Brasil y no quieren volver.

Hace años mi sobrino fue a Brasil como estudiante de intercambio. Vivía con una familia brasileña y iba a una escuela brasileña. Le escribia en español y él me escribia en portugués. Yo le entendía y el me podía entender. A su regreso de Brasil vivió conmigo por un tiempo. Le enseñé español y él me enseñó portugués. Fuimos a los restaurantes brasileños, partidos de fútbol de Brasil y al carnaval brasileño en Hollywood, California. Más tarde tuve estudiantes brasileños en mis clases de inglés y aprendí más Portugures con ellos. Finalmente empecé a tomar clases de Jiu-Jitsu brasileño con los Gracies y los Machado de Brasil y hablaba portugués con ellos. La mayoría, si no todos los hablantes de portugués aquí en California han aprendido a hablar español porque es facil para ellos. ¿Qué te parece amigo?
Muchas gracias por tu información, Villa. Muy bien. Quiero ir a Portugal pero prefiero España. Entiendo tu razón. Por ahora, estoy interesado en la lengua español. Quiero aprender japonés, español y otras idiomas pero no mucho tiempo. Por ahora, estoy contento con mi segundo idioma. Los idiomas son muy fascinantes para mí.

¿Prefieres el español o el portugués?

Last edited by Liquinn3; August 21, 2013 at 07:06 AM.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old August 21, 2013, 11:03 AM
Pearl

Native Language: Swiss German
zuma022 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Premium View Post
Maybe you'd get confused if you pick up Dutch and Afrikaans or Flemish at the same time. I can't really compare those three languages but they must be very similar.
I wanted to learn Portuguese, too, but firstly I barely have time to learn Spanish and secondly the similarities would drive me nuts.
As you mentioned once that your Spanish level should be around B2, I don't really think you'll have any struggle with Portuguese.

It wouldn't take me long if I'd learn Russian, Polish, Slovakian or any other Slavic language as they are all a bit similar, some less some more.
Yes exactly, Premium. I'm sure that if I had started to learn Portuguese and Spanish at the same time I would have ended up with a 'Kauderwelsch', same as other similar languages. But like you say, there are clear advantages if you speak one language of a language family.
In any case I've signed up for Portuguese lessons and I'll see how I go.
(btw I did pass the DELE, so officially a B2 )
Old August 21, 2013, 11:12 AM
Emerald

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuma022 View Post
Yes exactly, Premium. I'm sure that if I had started to learn Portuguese and Spanish at the same time I would have ended up with a 'Kauderwelsch', same as other similar languages. But like you say, there are clear advantages if you speak one language of a language family.
In any case I've signed up for Portuguese lessons and I'll see how I go.
I was going to learn a bit of French... but the problem is, is finding the time to speak French. I have a hard enough problem with speaking Spanish (as in, finding the time, I only get to do that about 10 hours a month).
Old August 21, 2013, 11:16 AM
Pearl

Native Language: Swiss German
zuma022 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquinn3 View Post
I was going to learn a bit of French... but the problem is, is finding the time to speak French. I have a hard enough problem with speaking Spanish (as in, finding the time, I only get to do that about 10 hours a month).
I would love to eventually go back to French and improve that too, but one thing at a time. I know, finding time is not easy, but I do speak with a number of Spanish speakers on Skype on almost a daily basis, so I should be able to fit in some Portuguese too. We will see. It's a bit of an experiment, but I have nothing to lose. If it works out great, if not, no big deal.
Old August 21, 2013, 11:18 AM
Emerald

Quote:
I would love to eventually go back to French and improve that too, but one thing at a time. I know, finding time is not easy, but I do speak with a number of Spanish speakers on Skype on almost a daily basis, so I should be able to fit in some Portuguese too. We will see. It's a bit of an experiment, but I have nothing to lose. If it works out great, if not, no big deal.
True. I forgot about Skype. That way I could speak it at home. Might be easier than speaking it out of the house. I guess with writing, you don't have to keep up with both sides of the conversation.

I wonder if French or Portuguese would be better to learn? I want to be better in Spanish though, personally. :P
Old August 21, 2013, 02:39 PM
Emerald

Native Language: inglés y español).
Villa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Muchas gracias por tu información, Villa. Muy bien. Quiero ir a Portugal pero prefiero España. Entiendo tu razón. Por ahora, estoy interesado en la lengua español. Quiero aprender japonés, español y otras idiomas pero no mucho tiempo. Por ahora, estoy contento con mi segundo idioma. Los idiomas son muy fascinantes para mí.

¿Prefieres el español o el portugués?
Me gusta más el español pero paso el tiempo hablando español
todo el tiempo asi que el portugués es algo diferente. También
hablo el italiano con algunos amigos. Veo mucho en común con
los tres idiomas. ¿Entiendes Mendes o te explico Federico?=Understand rubber band?
Old August 21, 2013, 02:55 PM
Emerald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villa View Post
Me gusta más el español pero paso el tiempo hablando español
todo el tiempo asi que el portugués es algo diferente. También
hablo el italiano con algunos amigos. Veo mucho en común con
los tres idiomas. ¿Entiendes Mendes o te explico Federico?=Understand rubber band?
Entiendo tus palabras.
¿Habla japonés? ¿Por qué aprender español?
Quiero aprender portugués, pero no tengo tiempo.
Old August 21, 2013, 03:14 PM
Emerald

Native Language: inglés y español).
Villa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Entiendo tus palabras.
¿Habla japonés? ¿Por qué aprender español?
Quiero aprender portugués, pero no tengo tiempo.
Era un chiste eso de entiendes Mendes.

Tomé classes de Judo en un centro de cultura japones. Tuvimos que
aprender todo los throws in japones. Había gente japones ahí que no sabian hablar inglese. California es el estado con mas gente de Japon. Por ejemplo nombres come esto teniamos que aprender:

Last edited by AngelicaDeAlquezar; August 21, 2013 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Removed superfluous content
Old August 22, 2013, 01:31 AM
Pearl

Native Language: German, Serbian & Albanian
Premium is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Congratulations!

Quote:
I wonder if French or Portuguese would be better to learn? I want to be better in Spanish though, personally. :P
Which do you like more?
It's just a matter of preference.
Old August 22, 2013, 04:59 AM
Emerald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premium View Post
Congratulations!

Which do you like more?
It's just a matter of preference.
French, personally. Though Portuguese would be cool to learn. I do remember learning it in school and I hated it. I guess it's different when you want to learn it.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: