Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Grammar
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

La tranquilidad que me dé ser más paciente

This is the place for questions about conjugations, verb tenses, adverbs, adjectives, word order, syntax and other grammar questions for English or Spanish.

Old April 25, 2024, 02:27 AM
Ruby

Native Language: Russian
Michael30000 is on a distinguished road
La tranquilidad que me dé ser más paciente

Hola a todos,

La frase en cuestión es del libro Cuenta contigo de Patricia Ramírez Loeffler.

1. Decido transformarme en... «UNA PERSONA MÁS PACIENTE». Y con ello creo que tendré los siguientes beneficios:

? No me enfadaré en los entrenamientos cuando no consiga realizar el saque perfecto a la primera.

? Reduciré mi nivel de ira cada vez que me equivo que, porque tendré más tiempo para conseguir mis objetivos.

? La tranquilidad que me dé ser más paciente permitirá que aprenda mejor. El estrés continuo, cada vez que me enfado, me hace estar nervioso y cometer más errores.

? Mejoraré las relaciones con mi entrenador, con mis compañeros del tenis y con mi entorno. La impaciencia me ha llevado a estar de mal humor y contestar mal en muchas ocasiones.

I'm not sure as to why the subjunctive mood is used in "La tranquilidad que me ser más paciente." And would it be correct to use the indicative mood (dará) in the sentence in question?

Thank you.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old April 25, 2024, 04:17 AM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
The use of the subjunctive mood is often chalked up to how the author is feeling at the moment. At this point in the sentence, she is delivering a statement. The future tense that you would expect from each benefit listed immediately follows the statement.
We have to allow for her use of the subjunctive mood because that was apparently her feeling at the time. Had she used indicative mood 'da', it would have only indicated a different feeling on her part. Nothing more.
The future tense 'dará' would not be expected in the statement portion of the sentence. As mentioned earlier, the future tense immediately follows the statement.
Old April 25, 2024, 04:32 AM
Ruby

Native Language: Russian
Michael30000 is on a distinguished road
Thank you very much, Rusty!

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: