Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Other Languages > Other Languages
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

accents

Being the language lovers that we are... A place to talk about, or write in languages other than Spanish and English.

Old July 01, 2008, 02:14 PM
The Rebel Fairy

Native Language: Spanish
María José is on a distinguished road
Yourself. You did well. And by the sound of it you are cute.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old July 03, 2008, 03:01 AM
Filósofo y Poeta

Alfonso will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by poli View Post
¡Qué interesante! Me parece que en inglés nos falta() un dicho igual aunque hemos tenido una historia de opresión religiosa aquí también. En los años 1600 los puritanos quemaron () brujos o gente acusada de ser brujos. La búsqueda de brujos tenía el mote witch-hunt.
Hoy mismo usamos la witch-hunt figuradamente para cualquier() búsqueda con propósitos injustos políticos o religiosos. Hubo un with-hunt famoso en los años 50 contra artistas en Hollywood acusados de ser comunistas. Un mini-witch hunt ocurrió en este siglo en preparación de la guerra que hizo Bush. Gente (artistas populares) que no estaba de acuerdo con el presidente fueron silenciados (Dixie Chicks, Woopie Goldberg por ejemplo) Se puede decir A modern-day Torquemada o The grand inquisitor, en lugar de martillo de herejes pero no sé si todo el mundo lo entiende.
¿Existe una palabra para witch-hunt en español?
Sí: caza de brujas.
Torquemada was a Gran Inquisidor español during the reign of Reyes Católicos (between XV and XVI centuries).

Poli, I actually meant that the Spanish philosopher didn't call others martillo... It was he who was called martillo de herejes.

So, is my sentence right?: This was said of a modern Spanish philosopher, Fernando Savater, who usually punishes nacionalists in Spain.

Thanks a lot for your help!
Old July 03, 2008, 05:50 AM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfonso View Post
Sí: caza de brujas.
Torquemada was a Gran Inquisidor español during the reign of Reyes Católicos (between XV and XVI centuries).

Poli, I actually meant that the Spanish philosopher didn't call others martillo... It was he who was called martillo de herejes.
Yes, it's clear that he was the hammer.
So, is my sentence right?: This was said of a modern Spanish philosopher, Fernando Savater, who usually punishes nacionalists in Spain.

Thanks a lot for your help!
Tu significado es claro pero el uso de usually no tiene una buena función en la frase. Yo lo digiría así: Fernando Savater was known as the martillo de estupidos ironically referring back to the earlier phrase martillo de herejes. He was known for punishing nationalists in Spain/ or was a well known foe of the nationalists in the Spanish Cival War.
Cuando hay mucha información vale la pena elaborarla con mas palabras, y gracias por la informacion.

Last edited by poli; July 03, 2008 at 06:14 AM.
Old July 03, 2008, 07:29 AM
Filósofo y Poeta

Alfonso will become famous soon enough
Gracias, Poli,
Actually, Savater doesnt's punishes nacionales (from the Spanish Civil War), but nacionalistas (from then and today, those who want the independence of a part of Spain). This confusion between nacionales and nacionalistas is very common among my students, so they must be similar somehow.
Old July 03, 2008, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfonso View Post
Gracias, Poli,
Actually, Savater doesn't punish nacionales (from the Spanish Civil War), but nacionalistas (from then and today, those who want the independence of a part of Spain). This confusion between nacionales and nacionalistas is very common among my students, so they must be similar somehow.
One day I'll learn. Did he literally (PHYSICALLY) punish them or was he their foe or opponent?

Last edited by poli; July 03, 2008 at 08:05 AM.
Old July 09, 2008, 07:15 AM
Opal

Mar-y-el is on a distinguished road
American accent and others

I am from South America and can tell you, indeed we feel some accents' are not perceived well. Americans' accents is not one of those
To us, when Americans speak our language, they sound very pleasant!! I am a fool for their accents and I think it has to do with the softness our strong sounds are pronounced.

I hate to say something bad about other accents, but to me... When letters are bypass like "Que hora e?" instead of "Que hora es? it is ugly. Also, when the grammar mistake is the product of mixing English grammar with Spanish grammar, and on top the bypass of the letter is used, the sound is really bad! like..."vente pa tra" instead of, "Vente para tras" which is wrong because what they are trying to say is "REGRESE" O "VUELVE" . "Vente para tras" would mean "come towards your back" instead of "comeback".

Where are you from?
Old July 09, 2008, 07:57 AM

Antes quedaba sorprendido cuando hispanoparlantes dijeron que el accento inglés (o sea americano) es agradable, pero ahora lo accepto.
Soy americano. Me dicen que mi accento es ligero y suena bien, pero uno nunca sabe. Puede ser una gitanada y nada mas. Un día voy a grabarme para oir si estoy de acuerdo.
Bienvenidos a los foros.

Last edited by poli; July 09, 2008 at 08:03 AM.
Old July 09, 2008, 08:28 AM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Antes quedaba sorprendido cuando hispanoparlantes dijeron que el acento inglés (o sea americano) es agradable, pero ahora lo acepto.
>>> <<<
Old July 10, 2008, 12:21 PM
The Rebel Fairy

María José is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
>>> <<<
And your meaning, Rusty, is...?
Old July 10, 2008, 04:26 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemma View Post
And your meaning, Rusty, is...?
David doesn't allow a one-smiley response, so I placed a couple of "attention getters" around the smiley.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: