Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Practice & Homework
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Childhood trips to North America

Practice Spanish or English here. All replies to a thread should be in the same language as the first post.

Old March 09, 2013, 07:19 PM
Ruby

Native Language: Italian
wayfarer is on a distinguished road
Childhood trips to North America

Some days ago I told you about my recent trips around Europe, this time I am tellling you about my childhood trips to North America. Corrections are welcome.

--------------

During my childhood and adolescence, I flew many times over the Atlantic Ocean. My father was a skilled mathematician, and various North American universities invited him to teach, to research and to attend congresses. Sometimes he went alone, other times we came along with him. Until the age of 6 I was an only child, in 1978 my sister was born. During 1976 and 1977 my parents and I travelled a lot around the United States and Canada: we were in Boston, Philadelphia, Vancouver, Calgary, Waterloo(Ontario). I remember very little of that period, I have just some short memories.

In 1980 we spent the summer in New York. In 1982 we spent the summer again in Waterloo, and I remember some very interesting journeys that we made: for example, we saw Lake Huron and the Niagara Falls. In 1986-1987 we spent a whole year near Princeton, New Jersey. My sister and I went to school there. It was very interesting to see a quite different school than the one I was used to. The American school was a bit simpler than the Italian school, but also more practical: in Italy students had, and still have, to deal with a lot of unuseful stuff. In August 1987 I flied back to Rome, and it was the last time I flied over the Atlantic Ocean: probably then, when I wrote in English, I made fewer mistakes than now

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old March 09, 2013, 08:10 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayfarer View Post
... my recent trips around Europe. This time I am telling you about my childhood trips to North America. Corrections are welcome.

--------------

During my childhood and adolescence, I flew many times over the Atlantic Ocean. My father was a skilled mathematician, and various North American universities invited him to teach, to research and to attend congresses. Sometimes he went alone, other times we came along with him. Until the age of 6 I was an only child. In 1978, my sister was born. During 1976 and 1977, my parents and I traveled/travelled a lot around the United States and Canada; we were in Boston, Philadelphia, Vancouver, Calgary and Waterloo(Ontario). I remember very little of that period. I have just some short memories.

In 1980, we spent the summer in New York. In 1982, we spent the summer again in Waterloo, and I remember some very interesting journeys that we made. For example, we saw Lake Huron and the Niagara Falls. In 1986-1987, we spent a whole year near Princeton, New Jersey. My sister and I went to school there. It was very interesting to see quite a different school than the one I was used to. The American school was a bit simpler than the Italian school, but also more practical; in Italy students had, and still have, to deal with a lot of useless stuff. In August 1987, I flew back to Rome, and it was the last time I flew over the Atlantic Ocean. Probably then, when I wrote in English, I made fewer mistakes than now.
Corrections given, mainly to punctuation which may differ where you live.

I provided the American spelling of traveled, in case you didn't know there was a difference.
Old March 11, 2013, 07:54 AM
Ruby

Native Language: Italian
wayfarer is on a distinguished road
Thank you Rusty!! Yes, probably English and Italian punctuation differ a bit. English sentences seem to be shorter. However, probably I write excessively long sentences even when I write in Italian.

By the way, it seems I'm improving. This time I made fewer mistakes than in my previous posts. I'm improving thanks to the corrections I'm getting on this board, also. For example, last time Perikles told me that before a plural and countable noun "fewer" is to be used instead of "less".

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: