Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Grammar
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Grammar Check

This is the place for questions about conjugations, verb tenses, adverbs, adjectives, word order, syntax and other grammar questions for English or Spanish.

Old November 02, 2007, 04:19 PM
Ruby

Native Language: English
bleitzow is on a distinguished road
Cool Grammar Check

OK, I just put a bunch of sentences together on my own. I'm trying to understand this whole "se, lo" thing. Did I get them right? What I was trying to say is in blue.

Pero, pasado tiempo, ella no la necesita. Tenía peinada porque mis padres veníen. (This is referring to my cat.)
But, last time, she didn't need it. I had her groomed because my parents were coming.

"I just sent you an e-mail". My response: Sí. Yo la recibí y la respondí.Yes. I received it and responded to it.

Recuerdas, mis padres van a la iglesia ahora tambien. Remember, my parents are going to church now too.

No sé porque, pero queda conozco su número de telefono en mi mente. Yo la llamé muchos tiempos durante los dieciocho años pasodos, pero ella no me llamó. Y tiempo pasado, tú viste ella a la corte de tenis, era mismo asunto. I don't know why, but I still know her phone number "by heart". I called her many times over the last 18 years, but she's never called me. And the last time you saw her at the tennis court, same thing.

Corrections are greatly appreciate. Thank you!

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old November 02, 2007, 05:46 PM
Opal

Native Language: english
mannie is on a distinguished road
I'd need to know how to say to groom a cat before answering.
Old November 03, 2007, 12:41 AM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
But, last time, she didn't need it. Here, I'll assume the word 'it' refers to 'a grooming', since that is mentioned in the next sentence. 'A grooming' is 'un cepillado'. This can refer to brushing fur or teeth. 'Un cepillado' is masculine, so the direct object object pronoun would be 'lo'. The preterite tense should be used to express the completed action. Translation: Pero la última vez, ella no lo necesitó.

I had her groomed because my parents were coming. To say 'to groom', use 'hacer un cepillado' or 'hacer el cepillado'. To express 'she was groomed', use the passive voice - 'Se le hizo el cepillado'. Translation: Se le hizo el cepillado porque venían mis padres.

Yes, I received it and responded to it. The word 'email' (e-mail) is 'correo electrónico'. This is masculine, so the direct object pronoun is 'lo'. There is no need to repeat the direct object. Translation: Sí, lo recibí y respondí.

Recuerdas, ... tambien. The word 'remember' is a command, so use the command form. This could be 'recuerda', 'recuerde', 'recuerden', or 'recordad', depending on the audience. I'll assume you were talking to a good friend. In this case, use 'recuerda'. The last word needs an accented 'e'. Translation: Recuerda, ... también.

No sé porque, ... en mi mente. Change 'porque' (because) to 'por qué' (why). 'To know something by heart' is 'saber de memoria'. Translation: No sé por qué, pero todavía sé de memoria su número de teléfono . Another way to say almost the same thing, and use some of the words you did, is 'quedarse en la mente'. Here is that translation: No sé por qué, pero su número de teléfono aún se me queda en la mente.

Yo la llamé muchos tiempos ... no me llamó. 'Many times' is said 'muchas veces'. A better way to say that you've been doing something for a length of time, and are still doing it, is to use the following formula: 'hace' + length of time + present tense verb
To say 'I have been calling her for eighteen years', use 'hace dieciocho años que le llamo a ella'. Some speakers will say 'la llamo' when they mean 'le llamo a ella', but it is substandard Spanish. Translation: Hace dieciocho años que le llamo a ella, pero nunca me contesta (but she never answers) / llama (but she never calls me).

Y tiempo pasado ... mismo asunto. Translation: Y la última vez que le viste a ella en la pista de tenis, resultó igual. That last part can be translated a number of ways, but you must use the preterite tense (fué la misma cosa/el mismo asunto).

Last edited by Rusty; November 03, 2007 at 07:58 AM.
Old November 06, 2007, 02:42 PM
Diamond

Elaina will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mannie View Post
I'd need to know how to say to groom a cat before answering.
Groom a cat? Que es eso?

Elaina
Old November 06, 2007, 03:19 PM
Ruby

bleitzow is on a distinguished road
Wink

It means to shave her stinky bottom.
Old November 07, 2007, 08:49 AM
Diamond

Elaina will become famous soon enough