Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Practice & Homework

Cultural presentation for spanish 1

Practice Spanish or English here. All replies to a thread should be in the same language as the first post.

Old August 31, 2013, 11:20 AM
Opal

cannon4747 is on a distinguished road
Post Cultural presentation for spanish 1

I have an assignment for my spanish 1 class in college to do a short cultural presentation (a few sentences) with some of the other students. Our country is america, and I am speaking about the food. The teacher just wants us using the basic present tense conjugations so ignore any flaws of that nature. Here is the speech I have written thus far:
Comida es qué americanos encanta. Ves como gordo americanos son comparan a otros países.

Ellos hacen muy pocos comidas originales. Americanos en general toman comidas de otros países. Algunos de estos alimentos incluyen hamburguesas de alemania, pizza de Italia, gofres de Francia, y incluso helado de China.

Pero, Americanos tienen unas comidas originales como barbacoa, comida cajun, y carne mechada.

No importa de dónde viene, Americanos encuentran una manera disfrutar todos de las comidas.
I'm just posting this to confirm whether or not the above speech makes grammatical sense. If anyone has any tips or criticisms, I'll gladly take them into account. Gracias!

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old August 31, 2013, 05:45 PM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
Good job.

Some comments and suggestions below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon4747 View Post
Comida es qué americanos encanta. Ves como gordo americanos son comparan a otros países. (It's unclear what you mean in these sentences, would you please reword or explain what you intended to say?)

Ellos hacen muy pocos comidas (Check gender agreement) originales. *** (Definite article is missing here) americanos en general toman comidas (Not incorrect, but when talking about cuisine, maybe "platos/platillos" would be preferred) de otros países. Algunos de estos alimentos incluyen hamburguesas de alemania (Check spelling), pizza de Italia, gofres de Francia, y (Never use "y" before a word starting with "i"; for reasons of euphony, "y" becomes "e" if the next word starts with "i") incluso helado de China.

Pero, *** (Definite article is missing here) americanos tienen unas comidas (Check previous note) originales como *** (Definite article is missing here) barbacoa, *** (Definite article is missing here) comida cajun, y *** (Definite article is missing here) carne mechada.

No importa de dónde viene (Your subject here is unclear; can you please reword or explain what you mean?), *** (Definite article is missing here) americanos encuentran una manera disfrutar todos de las comidas (Meaning unclear. Would you please reword or explain please?).
Old August 31, 2013, 05:52 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
What I believe he meant, in English, is
"Food is what Americans love. You see how fat Americans are compared to other countries." ... "It doesn't matter where you come from, Americans find a way to enjoy all the foods."
Old August 31, 2013, 08:51 PM
Opal

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicaDeAlquezar View Post
Good job.

Some comments and suggestions below:
Okay thank you a ton, I will adjust those errors and post another draft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
What I believe he meant, in English, is
"Food is what Americans love. You see how fat Americans are compared to other countries." ... "It doesn't matter where you come from, Americans find a way to enjoy all the foods."
Correct except for the final sentence, I meant that to say "It doesn't matter where IT comes from, Americans find a way to enjoy all food."

Second draft, edits in bold:
Comida es qué los americanos encanta. Ves como gordo los americanos son comparan a otros países.

Ellos hacen muy pocas comidas originales. Los Americanos en general toman comidas de otros países. Algunos de estos alimentos incluyen hamburguesas de Alemania, pizza de Italia, gofres de Francia, e incluso helado de China.

Pero, los Americanos tienen unas comidas originales como la barbacoa, la comida cajun, y el carne mechada.

No importa de dónde viene, Americanos encuentran una manera disfrutar todos de las comidas.
I hope that looks better. I hope I cleared up some of the issues with my previous reply as to what I actually wanted it to say lol.

Last edited by Rusty; August 31, 2013 at 09:26 PM. Reason: merged back-to-back posts
Old August 31, 2013, 09:07 PM
Señor Speedy

Quote:
Correct except for the final sentence, I meant that to say "It doesn't matter where IT comes from, Americans find a way to enjoy all food."
It was hard to tell. Thanks for providing the English version.

Quote:
(missing article) Comida es (missing a relative pronoun) qué (missing a preposition) los americanos (missing an indirect object pronoun) encanta. Ves como (wrong word) gordo(watch concordance) (missing a conjunction, and the verb you used later in this sentence follows the conjunction) los americanos son comparan (need to use an adjective (in the form of a past participle) here) a otros países.

Ellos hacen muy pocas comidas originales. Los Americanos, en general, preparan comidas prestadas de otros países. Algunos de estos alimentos incluyen hamburguesas de Alemania, pizza de Italia, gofres de Francia, e incluso helado de China.

Pero, los Americanos tienen unas comidas originales, como la barbacoa, la comida cajun, y el carne mechada.

No importa de dónde viene, (missing article) de los Estados Unidos encuentran una manera (missing preposition) disfrutar (missing preposition) todos clase de las comidas.
I'm concerned that your presentation has flaws in it other than grammar.

Research suggests that pizza, as we know it in America, is nothing like the pizza served anywhere in Italy. Pizza was brought to America by Italian immigrants, that is true, but the pizza served in most regions of the United States is very much an American invention.
The hamburger is definitely an American invention. While it's true that Hamburg, Germany, had minced or chopped beef known as Hamburg steak, the hamburger as we know it had its beginnings in the United States. There is still debate as to who invented it, but the hamburger has been served up since the late 1800's.
The waffle iron with the honeycomb pattern was invented in America (in 1969), but cooking batter between hinged iron plates over coals can be traced back to the ancient Greeks.
The Spanish word for barbecue (barbacoa) was used long before the English word existed. The Spanish got their word from a Native American people living in the Caribbean during the conquests. Americans (people in the United States) did not invent cooking meat over coals. That's been around for centuries. Topping barbecued meat with a sweetened tomato sauce might be considered an American invention. Heinz sold the first barbecue sauce.

Last edited by Rusty; August 31, 2013 at 10:35 PM.
Old September 09, 2013, 09:22 AM
Opal

Okay thank you, I will use your tips for my speech. Thanks very much.

As for the vailidity of the statements, I doubt that it's very important. On the sheet the teacher gave us, truthfulness of what we talk about wasn't one of the criteria.
La comida es que los americanos les encanta. Ves como los americanos gordos comparan a otros países.

Ellos hacen muy pocas comidas originales. Los Americanos, en general, preparan comidas prestadas de otros países. Algunos de estos alimentos incluyen hamburguesas de Alemania, pizza de Italia, gofres de Francia, e incluso helado de China.

Pero, los Americanos tienen unas comidas originales como la barbacoa, la comida cajun, y el carne mechada.

No importa de dónde viene, de los estados unidos encuentran una manera disfrutar todo clase de comida.
I took your advice to the best of my ability to understand. Prior to this class, I had about 2/3 of a year of spanish 1, so it's not gonna look perfect. I'm sure there are still many grammatical errors, but thats fine. I took the first presentation of the semester because thats when the teacher would be the most lenient in this area. We have little actual knowledge of spanish. So far we've basically covered greetings, the alphabet, and ser. A speech of this caliber so early, even with a few grammatical errors, would be unheard of.

Thank you all for all your help. I'll respond with the results of my presentation.

Gracias!

Last edited by cannon4747; September 09, 2013 at 10:22 AM.
Old September 09, 2013, 02:24 PM
Opal

I just got back from class. I got a 100% on the presentation, mucho gracias!!
Old September 09, 2013, 06:09 PM
Señor Speedy

Quote:
I just got back from class. I got a 100% on the presentation. ¡¡Muchas gracias!!
Congratulations!

Tags
grammar, homework, spanish, speaking, speech

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: