Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Culture

30% of people in California speak Spanish - More people speak Spanish in the U.S...

Questions about culture and cultural differences between countries and languages.

Closed Thread

Old April 01, 2010, 03:22 PM
Emerald

Native Language: inglés y español).
Villa is on a distinguished road
30% of people in California speak Spanish - More people speak Spanish in the U.S...

California has more Spanish speakers than any of the other 50 U.S. states. California has a population
of 37 million. That means over 12 million Spanish speakers.

The Spanish language is the second most-common language in the U.S. after English. There are more
Spanish speakers in the U.S. than there are speakers of Chinese, French, Japanese, the Native American language
and all the other languages combined. According to the 2007 American Community Survey conducted by the U.S.
Census Bureau Spanish is the primary language spoken at home by over 34 million people aged 5 or older. There
are also 45 million Hispanics who speak Spanish as a first and second language and there are 6 million Spanish
students, making it the world's second-largest Spanish-speaking community, only after Mexico and ahead of Spain,
Colombia and Argentina. Roughly half of all U.S. Spanish speakers also speak English "very well", based on the self-assessment Census question respondents.

Last edited by Villa; April 01, 2010 at 03:34 PM.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old April 01, 2010, 03:28 PM

Native Language: English, Chinese
Jessica is on a distinguished road
that's interesting :P
Old April 02, 2010, 12:43 AM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
I believe tha the Spanish is more spoken in U.S.A than in Mexico or Latin America.
Old April 02, 2010, 01:38 PM
Diamond

Native Language: English
Elaina will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrOtALiTo View Post
I believe tha the Spanish is more spoken in U.S.A than in Mexico or Latin America.
Are you saying that Spanish is spoken more in the U.S. than it is in Mexico and Latin America?

I'm sorry but I believe this is ludicrous.
Old April 02, 2010, 02:46 PM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaina View Post
Are you saying that Spanish is spoken more in the U.S. than it is in Mexico and Latin America?

I'm sorry but I believe this is ludicrous.
I'm sorry for it's truth.

There're more Latin people that in any other way,
Although it seems you ludicrous.
Old April 02, 2010, 03:35 PM

Native Language: English, Chinese
Jessica is on a distinguished road
it's just a lot in one state, doesn't mean it's in one country....I thought it was Mexico or Latin America that had the most Spanish speaking people
Old April 02, 2010, 06:30 PM
Opal

Native Language: Greek/Griego
Eerie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I'm sorry for it's truth.

There're more Latin people that in any other way,
Although it seems you ludicrous.
Well, I think there's a difference between the number of speakers and the percentage of speakers.
Old April 02, 2010, 10:12 PM
Ruby

Native Language: Español (Guatemala)
hvalle98 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
OF COURSE NOT! Here are the facts:

In 2007 there were 34,547,077 million Spanish speakers in the U.S. (See http://zhh.in/i ), and Mexico's population is 111 million people. And don't even dare to compare those 34 million with Latin America, (haha, sorry, I can't avoid laughing) just see a map and see how big is Latin America, much bigger than the entire USA.
Old April 04, 2010, 01:43 PM
Emerald

Native Language: inglés y español).
Villa is on a distinguished road
Por supuesto Mexico has more Spanish speakers. The point is California has a lot of Spanish speakers for being a state of the U.S.

Sin embargo Los Angeles, California has more Spanish speaker than anyother
city of Mexico outside of Mexico City and tal vez Guadalajara.
Old April 05, 2010, 08:37 AM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvalle98 View Post
OF COURSE NOT! Here are the facts:

In 2007 there were 34,547,077 million Spanish speakers in the U.S. (See http://zhh.in/i ), and Mexico's population is 111 million people. And don't even dare to compare those 34 million with Latin America, (haha, sorry, I can't avoid laughing) just see a map and see how big is Latin America, much bigger than the entire USA.

Correct, I can understand your offset with the commentary about that, but you are seeing the amount only of the people registered in the U.S.A without count the people number immigrant that are in your country, I know that it hasn't a dare in the number of people speaker English or speaker Spanish.

But if you do a valance of the people who is living in your country and the government isn't taking them in mind, then I can be sure that the amount will be major to the that you're telling me since the first.

I want to remember that not only exist people registered in the U.S.A, also out there people to crossed to the river toward your country and in this precise moment are in your country without any problem only they are like immigrants that aren't gave up in the social security.

Then definitely I believe that in the amount of the people who are speaker English and Spanish can have a variation.

Yes there're most people speaker Spanish in Mexico and Latin America too.
so also I don't want to forget to the people who are in the South, I mean.
Latin America South.

Then as here in my country exist a kind counting yearly of the people who are living in the country and the basics services that should have them, I believe that exist some kind to method like to Mexican's counting in the U.S.A.

I want to this post don't get out as a polemic, if not I'd like this commentary like a contribution or a common agree with the people in both countries.

I know that this idea could be a little or a bunch of ridiculous, but I precise the example of as it could influence in people.

Regards.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: