Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Grammar
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Irregular verbs in the future tense?

This is the place for questions about conjugations, verb tenses, adverbs, adjectives, word order, syntax and other grammar questions for English or Spanish.

Old June 27, 2013, 12:15 PM
Emerald

Liquinn3 is on a distinguished road
Irregular verbs in the future tense?

How many verbs are irregular in the future tense? Is it 12?

Are there any more verbs irregular in the future tense?

saber, tener, hacer, decir, querer, venir, caber, poner, salir, haber, poder, valer

Thanks all.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old June 27, 2013, 05:22 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
That is the list most commonly posted on the internet, but don't forget that there are verbs built on these basic verbs (using prefixes) that are also irregular. Here's a partial list:
sobresalir, contradecir, mantener, deshacer, suponer, prevaler, sobrevenir, malquerer and resaber

Note that there are a few verbs that end in -decir that are not irregular in the future tense:
maldecir, bendecir and predecir

Note that the -acer ending of satisfacer is conjugated like the -acer ending of hacer, but yacer is not irregular in the future tense.
Old June 28, 2013, 06:38 AM
Emerald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
That is the list most commonly posted on the internet, but don't forget that there are verbs built on these basic verbs (using prefixes) that are also irregular. Here's a partial list:
sobresalir, contradecir, mantener, deshacer, suponer, prevaler, sobrevenir, malquerer and resaber

Note that there are a few verbs that end in -decir that are not irregular in the future tense:
maldecir, bendecir and predecir

Note that the -acer ending of satisfacer is conjugated like the -acer ending of hacer, but yacer is not irregular in the future tense.
Ser - to be
Estar - to be
Tener - to have
Haber - to have
Hacer - to do, to make
Ir - to go
Dar - to give
Coger - to take
Traer - to bring
Poner - to put
Poder - to be able to (can)
Querer - to want
Ver - to see
Decir - to say
Venir - to come

Are there any more verbs irregular in the present tense?

Do you know where I can find a list of the ireegular verbs in all of the tenses?

Thanks Rusty. ☺

Last edited by Liquinn3; June 28, 2013 at 06:42 AM.
Old June 28, 2013, 03:32 PM
Señor Speedy

There are MANY more irregular present tense verbs than the ones you've listed. Don't forget all the stem-changing verbs, like entender, dormir and pedir, and all the ones that have spelling changes in the first person, like conocer and traducir. MANY verbs are irregular in the present tense. And MANY verbs are irregular in the preterit tense.
The imperfect tense has only 3 irregular verbs.

If you want to learn all the verbs that are irregular invest in a good verb conjugation book. There's a thread here in the forums that provides links to a couple of great books.

By the way, this thread should be devoted irregular future tense verbs only, since that is the title of the thread.
Old June 29, 2013, 05:29 AM
Emerald

So far I think there's 13 irregular verbs in the future tense (including satisfacer and the ones that I've listed) and including the ones you mentioned. Could you confirm this?
Old June 29, 2013, 07:44 AM
Señor Speedy

Did you read my post? There are several other verbs that stem from the basic 12, and 'decir' has some exceptions. The -facer ending of 'satisfacer' is an older form of 'hacer', so that is an ending you should also consider.
How many irregular verbs are there in the future tense?
To give you an opportunity to answer that question yourself, maybe this site will help (even though it isn't perfect). When you enter a verb to conjugate, like 'satisfacer', it shows other verbs that are conjugated like it at the bottom of the conjugation table. (It lists 5 other verbs, one of which doesn't exist.) If you enter 'venir', the list of other verbs grows to 23 (but at least one of them doesn't exist either). There are apparently more than 25 verbs conjugated like 'poner', but at least one of those doesn't exist. Like I said, it isn't perfect. And the list doesn't pertain to only the future tense.

There are reference links at the bottom of the home page I gave you a link to. The first reference is a book called 'Los 15.000 verbos españoles'. That probably isn't an accurate number. I've heard that there are roughly 2,000 irregular verbs in Spanish, but all can be categorized into established patterns (even though one of the categories is 'miscellaneous').
Old June 29, 2013, 07:57 AM
Emerald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Did you read my post? There are several other verbs that stem from the basic 12, and 'decir' has some exceptions. The -facer ending of 'satisfacer' is an older form of 'hacer', so that is an ending you should also consider.
How many irregular verbs are there in the future tense?
To give you an opportunity to answer that question yourself, maybe this site will help (even though it isn't perfect). When you enter a verb to conjugate, like 'satisfacer', it shows other verbs that are conjugated like it at the bottom of the conjugation table. (It lists 5 other verbs, one of which doesn't exist.) If you enter 'venir', the list of other verbs grows to 23 (but at least one of them doesn't exist either). There are apparently more than 25 verbs conjugated like 'poner', but at least one of those doesn't exist. Like I said, it isn't perfect. And the list doesn't pertain to only the future tense.

There are reference links at the bottom of the home page I gave you a link to. The first reference is a book called 'Los 15.000 verbos españoles'. That probably isn't an accurate number. I've heard that there are roughly 2,000 irregular verbs in Spanish, but all can be categorized into established patterns (even though one of the categories is 'miscellaneous').
Okay thanks for your help. I'll get there with the Spanish verbs I'm sure.

Saludos.
Old July 05, 2013, 06:44 PM
Emerald

Native Language: inglés y español).
Villa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquinn3 View Post
Okay thanks for your help. I'll get there with the Spanish verbs I'm sure.

Saludos.
This book on Spanish verbs will really help you. Has a fun CD-ROM too.
I have this book and the Italian one. They give you a full explaination on
all the verb tenses and many examples of the each verb in sentences.

The Big Red Book of Spanish Verbs: 555 Fully Conjugated Verbs

Last edited by Rusty; July 05, 2013 at 07:38 PM. Reason: removed superfluous information around the link

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: