Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Translations

".. y porque estudio un montón en lugar."?

If you need help translating a sentence or longer piece of text, use this forum. For translations or definitions of a single word or idiom, use the vocabulary forum.

Old May 15, 2017, 05:16 PM
Opal

Random--one is on a distinguished road
".. y porque estudio un montón en lugar."?

" Me gusta jugar videojuegos, leer y ver la televisión. Pero en el futuro quiero estudiaré desarrollo de juegos sobre Estocolmo Universidad y porque estudio un montón en lugar. "

= " I like to play video games, read and watch tv. But in the future I want to study game development on Stockholms University and therefor I study a lot instead. "

I'm really struggling with this (especially the second sentence) Any help with this is greatly appreciated!
(And this is Spanish for Spain )

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old May 15, 2017, 09:09 PM
Sapphire

Native Language: US English
wrholt is on a distinguished road
I've made some notes regarding what I think is wrong, (and comments to suggest how to fix it), as well as something that may be okay (but there are alternatives that may or may not be better.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random--one View Post
" Me gusta jugar videojuegos, leer y ver la televisión. Pero en el futuro quiero estudiaré (You have written two conjugated verbs in a row, but this is not allowed in Spanish. When another verb follows a form of querer, the other verb must be an infinitive.) desarrollo de juegos (I think it's better to use a definite article with the first word.) sobre Estocolmo Universidad("en la Universidad de Estocolmo") y porque (This word means "because". You need a different expression to mean "therefor" (or "therefore", which has a similar but not identical meaning).) estudio un montón en lugar ("En lugar" by itself is not Spanish. The expression is en lugar de X = "instead of <something>".. "

= " I like to play video games, read and watch tv. But in the future I want to study game development on Stockholms University ("at Stockholm University") and therefor (= "for the aforementioned", or therefore = "as a consequence".) I study a lot instead. "

I'm really struggling with this (especially the second sentence) Any help with this is greatly appreciated!
(And this is Spanish for Spain )

Last edited by wrholt; May 15, 2017 at 09:14 PM.
Old May 16, 2017, 04:41 PM
Opal

f41thful is on a distinguished road
I would say your answer is pretty good.

Some corrections (uppercase to show the corrections).
"Me gusta jugar A videojuegos".

"desarrollo de juegos" is fine as it is, without a definite article prepended. One caveat is that you have changed "videojuegos" by "juegos". "juegos" is not used for computer or console games. Use "videojuegos" for those.

Instead of "y porque estudio un montón" use "y por eso estudio un montón.". You want to say, "as a consequence of x I have to do y". To say that, we say "por x tengo que hace y". As x is the subject we have been talking about, you can substitute it by "eso".
Old May 19, 2017, 12:40 PM
Opal

Random--one is on a distinguished road
Thanks guys this was really helpfull!

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: