Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Culture

Deep south texas spanish

Questions about culture and cultural differences between countries and languages.

Old November 28, 2010, 11:27 AM
Opal

dellgriff is on a distinguished road
Deep south texas spanish

I'm sure it's been touched on before, but I'm having trouble with the spanish that is spoken in the rio grande valley of south texas. They don't speak mexican spanish.

I particularly need advise on how to pick up the slang from there for to converse with the population of uneducated latinos from there who incorporate a high number of words/phrases/slang that they seemed to invent on their own, separate from mexico, separate from american influence. Help!!

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old November 28, 2010, 12:22 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dellgriff View Post
I'm sure it's been touched on before, but I'm having trouble with the spanish that is spoken in the rio grande valley of south texas. They don't speak mexican spanish.

I particularly need advise on how to pick up the slang from there for to converse with the population of uneducated latinos from there who incorporate a high number of words/phrases/slang that they seemed to invent on their own, separate from mexico, separate from american influence. Help!!
All I can think of is when in a situation like that all you have to do is ask what they mean. Or repeat what they said in another way, but you have to ask this in Spanish.
Old November 28, 2010, 07:13 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Yes there're infinity to Mexican words and more when it's spoken for a Mexican, then if you have the words where have doubts, then you should to place them here and we will can give you a few help.
Old November 29, 2010, 03:36 AM
Opal

dellgriff is on a distinguished road
clarification

In this post, I wanted to make clear that when I said "uneducated latinos", I was not referring to the local population, but merely a sub-group within that population. Forgive me if that sounded biased. Where I grew up, there would be guys who's english you couldn't understand unless you spent a day or two with them!
Old November 29, 2010, 06:09 AM
Emerald

Native Language: english
hermit is on a distinguished road
Under Tex-mex slang Wikipedia gives some background on Tex-Mex phraseology with a partial list of "coined" words.

Also, you can Google "Tex-Mex slang dictionary" for a fairly comprehensive
vocabulary reference source...
Old November 30, 2010, 04:56 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dellgriff View Post
In this post, I wanted to make clear that when I said "uneducated latinos", I was not referring to the local population, but merely a sub-group within that population. Forgive me if that sounded biased. Where I grew up, there would be guys who's english you couldn't understand unless you spent a day or two with them!
It's really, it was being a lot of important in some places where the Latin Americans are the major population in the U.S.A, therefore they are people who speaking the language very appropriate in anywhere, in essence you can speak with them for more of three days or less and it can being enough for understand them clarify.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: