Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Translations

How Can I Say This?

If you need help translating a sentence or longer piece of text, use this forum. For translations or definitions of a single word or idiom, use the vocabulary forum.

Old July 28, 2011, 02:44 PM
Ruby

Native Language: English
Beto is on a distinguished road
You said it!

Thanks for clearing that up. Very enlightening.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old July 28, 2011, 03:17 PM
Ruby

Native Language: Spanish
Nivar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by languagelover View Post
... I just thought I would throw in a few alternatives from a Spain-Spanish point of view:

If your intention is to imply you keep forgetting to do something that you've been trying to remember to do, you could say: "Sigo olvidando (de) hacerlo" or, turning it around, "sigo sin acordarme de hacerlo."

If your intention is to imply you have been forgetting to do something that you previously used to remember to do, you could say: "Me olvido de hacerlo cada vez más."

If your intention is to imply it has slipped my mind all week, you could say: "Se me ha olvidado por completo esta semana" (probably very Spain-Spanish) or "Se me olvidó por completo esta semana" (I get the impression this version might be used more outside of Spain).

Even if none of these are actually what you wanted to imply, I hope they come in handy another time.
I agree with all proposed versions except with the last one.

"Se me ha olvidado por completo esta semana" would translate as "I have forgotten completely (about what ever subject) this week".

To keep the original sense it should be "Se me ha estado olvidando por completo a lo largo de esta semana".

I would only like to point out that the tone in which the sentence is said, can give another sense to frase, and that is that you have had the intention to forgett. You wanted to forgett because it went against your interest not to do so.

Last edited by Nivar; July 29, 2011 at 02:23 AM.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: