Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Practice & Homework

Más oraciones con el pretérito

Practice Spanish or English here. All replies to a thread should be in the same language as the first post.

Old February 12, 2010, 11:42 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perikles View Post
That's a bit rich - she invents a word which doesn't exist, and then expects me to explain it. There is a verb to whinge which means to whine = quejarse so I guess whingey is an adjective to describe somebody who whinges a lot. Apparently to whinge is BrE colloquial and pejorative.

And she used it above, describing me, though she claims she has never used it.
I'm not ready to understand your puns (my vocabulary is still poor ).

But I understand you and I'll try to forget this no-word. Thanks.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old February 12, 2010, 02:39 PM
Diamond

Native Language: American English (Northeastern US)
laepelba is on a distinguished road
Quote:
That's a bit rich - she invents a word which doesn't exist, and then expects me to explain it. There is a verb to whinge which means to whine = quejarse so I guess whingey is an adjective to describe somebody who whinges a lot. Apparently to whinge is BrE colloquial and pejorative.

And she used it above, describing me, though she claims she has never used it.
I got the word (in the form in which I used it) from my British friend with American elevator issues. She sent me a long email about some issues she was having, and ended with: "Sorry to get all whingey on you." I assumed that she was using it in the correct part of speech.

I don't actually USE the word ... but it seemed appropriate in response to your post.....
Old February 13, 2010, 01:42 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
Perikles is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by laepelba View Post
I assumed that she was using it in the correct part of speech.

I don't actually USE the word ... but it seemed appropriate in response to your post.....
An interesting point - it is a habit in English to invent words by extension of a known word, making an adjective or a verb from a noun, where the meaning is obvious. It then takes years to appear in a dictionary. In the meantime the word has some undefined status, but it doesn't follow as being an incorrect part of speech. Somebody whingey is presumably whining or complaining about lots of little boring things.
Old February 13, 2010, 04:42 AM
Diamond

Quote:
An interesting point - it is a habit in English to invent words by extension of a known word, making an adjective or a verb from a noun, where the meaning is obvious. It then takes years to appear in a dictionary. In the meantime the word has some undefined status, but it doesn't follow as being an incorrect part of speech. Somebody whingey is presumably whining or complaining about lots of little boring things.
You're SO right! I am always creating "new" parts of speech ... using words in ways that are convenient, not necessarily correct. What you said about how my friend used "whingey" is exactly the right context!
Old February 13, 2010, 10:10 AM
Emerald

Native Language: Español
Ambarina is on a distinguished road
I've been following this conversation and I just wanted to add that I have heard "whingey" and also "to be a whinge" apart from the obvious "to whinge". I just wonder if it's a local thing, i.e. from London and thereabouts.
Old February 13, 2010, 10:37 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
Perikles is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambarina View Post
I've been following this conversation and I just wanted to add that I have heard "whingey" and also "to be a whinge" apart from the obvious "to whinge". I just wonder if it's a local thing, i.e. from London and thereabouts.
Being really picky and just guessing, the word is of Germanic origin, (from Old English hwinsian) and if regional, more likely to be in the north. But I heard (and have said) the verb often enough - Stop whingeing!!! from which the noun and adjective develop naturally. Notice by the way the ambiguous noun development: A whinge can be either a) the noise emitted when whingeing, a noun attested around year 1500, or, b) a new noun, the person herself who whinges a lot.

And notice the odd spelling, where you need an 'e' after the 'g' in order to soften it.
Old February 13, 2010, 02:30 PM
Diamond

Quote:
Being really picky and just guessing, the word is of Germanic origin, (from Old English hwinsian) and if regional, more likely to be in the north. But I heard (and have said) the verb often enough - Stop whingeing!!! from which the noun and adjective develop naturally. Notice by the way the ambiguous noun development: A whinge can be either a) the noise emitted when whingeing, a noun attested around year 1500, or, b) a new noun, the person herself who whinges a lot.

And notice the odd spelling, where you need an 'e' after the 'g' in order to soften it.
Thanks - I wasn't sure how to pronounce it. I've never actually SAID the word OUT LOUD.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: