Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Grammar

"no se me olvida.." ?

This is the place for questions about conjugations, verb tenses, adverbs, adjectives, word order, syntax and other grammar questions for English or Spanish.

Old August 05, 2022, 09:17 PM
Ruby

createdamadman is on a distinguished road
"no se me olvida.." ?

I have this sentence in a short story:

"Ése fue otro día que no se me olvida.."

I get that it basically means "That is another day I will not forget", but the "se me olvida" is really throwing me off. Even if "olvidarse" is used, I would expect "no me olvido" or "no me olvidaré" or something similar. I figure the "olvida" is conjugated for "día" but I still can't quite make sense of it gramatically.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old August 06, 2022, 05:27 AM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
This is an example of the "no fault 'se'" (or "accidental 'se'") construction, used when talking about something that is not your fault, like when you drop a glass (se me cayó el vaso = I dropped the glass (by accident)).

It may seem strange to us English speakers, who always say "I dropped" or "I forgot," but to the Spanish speaker, forgetting or dropping something is never their fault. The blame is placed elsewhere (the pronoun 'se'). The 'me' part of the construction expresses whom (indirect object) was affected by the falling or forgetting.

The literal translations I see bandied about for the English-wired brain (like "It forgot itself on me" or "It dropped itself on me") don't make sense. So, my advice is to just learn how to use the "no fault" construction and never take blame for accidents or forgetting something when using Spanish.
Old August 07, 2022, 09:26 PM
Ruby

createdamadman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
This is an example of the "no fault 'se'" (or "accidental 'se'") construction, used when talking about something that is not your fault, like when you drop a glass (se me cayó el vaso = I dropped the glass (by accident)).

It may seem strange to us English speakers, who always say "I dropped" or "I forgot," but to the Spanish speaker, forgetting or dropping something is never their fault. The blame is placed elsewhere (the pronoun 'se'). The 'me' part of the construction expresses whom (indirect object) was affected by the falling or forgetting.

The literal translations I see bandied about for the English-wired brain (like "It forgot itself on me" or "It dropped itself on me") don't make sense. So, my advice is to just learn how to use the "no fault" construction and never take blame for accidents or forgetting something when using Spanish.
Okay thank you. I had actually learned of this construction a while back but this is the first time I've come across it and didn't catch it. There are actually instances where this sort of construction is used in English like "the glass went and fell on me", or in the case of my example, "this will not get lost on me", so this construction does make sense now that I understand it better. Thanks again
Old August 07, 2022, 09:34 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
You're welcome.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: