Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Grammar
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Conocerse con alguien

This is the place for questions about conjugations, verb tenses, adverbs, adjectives, word order, syntax and other grammar questions for English or Spanish.

Old September 05, 2022, 10:00 PM
Opal

Native Language: English
elchocoano is on a distinguished road
Conocerse con alguien

Another example from elcolombiano.com which has me puzzled.

Recently, a certain senator has had to explain his behaviour in Cartagena with respect to an altercation involving a "dama de compañía" whom he was trying to get into an upscale hotel and who unfortunately was not carrying her ID.

His explanation as to how they met was:

"Yo me conocí con ella en una discoteca."

I understand the meaning (I met her in a discotheque), but here is the problem. In my Gran Diccionario Oxford, 4th edition, 2008, there is no entry for such a usage, not even colloquial, and no entry at all for conocer followed by the preposition con.

A similar reflexive pronominal construction, which is in the dictionary, is: Me encontré con ella, which would mean, I bumped into her or I ran into her (by chance).

Is conocerse con an analagous construction that has come into the language?

If so, why isn't it in the dictionary? Is it substandard usage?

Is there a general pattern?

(I seem to recall once in Medellín a similar construction using verse con. I was meeting someone the following day, and I was told something like: Me veré contigo mañana. I will see myself with you tomorrow. It seemed like an odd indirect way of saying nos veremos mañana.)

Thanks.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old September 06, 2022, 04:48 PM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
According to the Diccionario Panhispánico de Dudas, when used like this, it's an archaic use of the verb as being intransitive. I've heard it from people who believe they're speaking in a higher register, but I don't know how often or how educated its usage is in Colombia.
So, it's a valid use of the verb, but uncommon, and the more natural way to say the same is "La conocí en una discoteca".

However, "verse con" is a valid and common construction, emphasizing that you are meeting someone face to face.
- Me veré con el padre de mi hijo.
(I'm probably not happy to see the man if I'm talking about his relationship with my child, rather than with me, so I must emphasize that I'm meeting him in person and will have to deal with him.)
- El abogado se vio con el cliente sólo una vez.
(The lawyer met his client only once, and the rest of their interaction happened via phone or some other way.)
- Los integrantes del equipo de futbol se vieron con sus fans después del partido.
(The football team treated their fans and they held a meet and greet.)
Old September 06, 2022, 09:21 PM
Opal

Native Language: English
elchocoano is on a distinguished road
Thanks very much for clearing this up! I looked up conocer(se) in the Dudas dictionary and it all makes sense now. The usage survives in some areas. On my next trip to Antioquia I will use it and see what the locals think.

Also, I think i misconstrued verse con as being reflexive "I will see myself with you" I now think that the verb should be thought of as reciprocal as the subject and the object of con when added together will be plural and the viewing will therefore be reciprocal. So I think I should have said "You and I will see eachother."

I will try to use verse con as much as possible on my next trip.
Old September 09, 2022, 07:02 PM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchocoano View Post
Thanks very much for clearing this up! I looked up conocer(se) in the Dudas dictionary and it all makes sense now. The usage survives in some areas. On my next trip to Antioquia I will use it and see what the locals think.
Excellent! That's a great way to practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchocoano View Post
Also, I think i misconstrued verse con as being reflexive "I will see myself with you" I now think that the verb should be thought of as reciprocal as the subject and the object of con when added together will be plural and the viewing will therefore be reciprocal. So I think I should have said "You and I will see eachother."
I was taught that reciprocal actions are also reflexive verbs.
- Juan y yo no nos hablamos.
- Los loros se acicalan unos a otros.
- ¿Ustedes se conocen?
In all these cases, the action is reciprocal, and it's considered a reflexive usage of the verbs.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: