Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Translations

Hospital

If you need help translating a sentence or longer piece of text, use this forum. For translations or definitions of a single word or idiom, use the vocabulary forum.

Old May 27, 2014, 11:23 AM
Pearl

jellybabe is on a distinguished road
Hospital

¿Cómo se dice...?

"The stupid/ridiculous thing was that I had to get already for the test, with the hospital gown on and lie on a bed ages before they did the test. Instead of being able to wait with Adrian and chat to him, I had to got to another room and just lie in bed waiting with nothing to do. There are were other people in the same room in beds waiting to go the surgery or waiting for the same test that I was waiting for. I spent 2 hours there for a test that took 15 minutes."

"Lo estupido/ridículo era que tuviera que arreglarme para estar liso para la prueba, vestida con la bata del hospital y tumbaba en una cama mucho tiempo antes de que me hicieran la prueba. En vez de poder esperar con Adrian y charlar con el, tenía que ir a otra sala y tumbarme en un cama sin nada que hacer. Había otra gente en la misma sala en camas esperando a ir al quirófano o esperando la misma prueba que yo estaba esperando. Pasé dos horas allí para una prueba que solo tardó 15 minutos."

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old May 27, 2014, 12:50 PM
Emerald

Native Language: Español
Julvenzor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellybabe View Post
¿Cómo se dice...?

"The stupid/ridiculous thing was that I had to get already for the test, with the hospital gown on and lie on a bed ages before they did the test. Instead of being able to wait with Adrian and chat to him, I had to got to another room and just lie in bed waiting with nothing to do. There are were other people in the same room in beds waiting to go the surgery or waiting for the same test that I was waiting for. I spent 2 hours there for a test that took 15 minutes."

"Lo estúpido/ridículo era que tuviera que prepararme para la prueba, vestida con la bata del hospital y tumbada en una cama milenios antes de que me hicieran la prueba. En vez de poder esperar con Adrian y charlar con él, tenía que ir a otra sala y tumbarme en un cama sin nada que hacer. Había otra gente en la misma sala, en camas, esperando a ir al quirófano o la misma prueba que yo estaba esperando. Pasé dos horas allí para/por una prueba que solo tardó/tardaba 15 minutos."

El sentido expresado difiere según la preposición y tiempo verbal:

Para una prueba = Para hacerme una prueba
Por una prueba = Por culpa de una prueba.

Tardó = La prueba empezó y acabó en 15 minutos.
Tardaba = Se suponía que la prueba iba a durar 15 minutos.

Un saludo.
Old May 29, 2014, 11:59 PM
Davidísimo

Native Language: American English
Tomisimo will become famous soon enoughTomisimo will become famous soon enough
I hesitate to translate stupid as estúpido. In Spanish it's a stronger word than in English. Tonto seems to work fairly well.
Old May 30, 2014, 07:47 AM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
I agree, an alternative could be "absurdo", but "ridiculous" is already appropriate.

Tags
estúpido, stupid

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: