Old January 14, 2010, 07:57 AM
Emerald

Native Language: American English
Fazor is on a distinguished road
Whether it's "proper English" or not doesn't really have a bearing on whether you'll hear it in conversation

How many people say, "What did you receive for Christmas?" when asking about your gifts? Not many. It's always "What did you get for Christmas?"

I almost never hear, "It became cold last night." People say, "It sure got cold last night."

I'd agree that there's (almost) always a better word that can be used in place of "got", but that doesn't mean the word isn't used in their stead. And, to be honest, most of the time I don't have a problem with people saying it.

The time it bothers me is when it's used in place of the word "have", as in, "I got a Ford pick-up." or "Do you got any snacks?"

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old January 14, 2010, 09:03 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés (en-gb)
pjt33 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazor View Post
The time it bothers me is when it's used in place of the word "have", as in, "I got a Ford pick-up." or "Do you got any snacks?"
There's a usage in ordering which I only started noticing around 2006 in Cambridge. As in, go into a pub and ask "Can I get a coke?" I was quite amused when a friend made this request and the publican replied "No, I'll get it."
Old January 14, 2010, 09:37 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
Perikles is on a distinguished road
Quote:
From people who have English as first language? Or is that people wot got English...
Old January 14, 2010, 10:05 AM
Emerald

Native Language: American English
Fazor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjt33 View Post
There's a usage in ordering which I only started noticing around 2006 in Cambridge. As in, go into a pub and ask "Can I get a coke?" I was quite amused when a friend made this request and the publican replied "No, I'll get it."
Haha, awesome. Now I wish I was a bartender so I could use that line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perikles View Post
From people who have English as first language? Or is that people wot got English...
It seems that it's from people who know English as "That one class I done had to go to that one time at school, yes'sir'ee."
Old January 14, 2010, 10:31 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
So, I guess you don't say you gotta go to the bathroom or assorted things like that?
Old January 14, 2010, 10:34 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
Perikles is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjt33 View Post
As in, go into a pub and ask "Can I get a coke?"
Come to think of it, there is a German equivalent which you hear quite often when ordering in a bar: Ich krieg' ein Bier. This really is gross. The verb kriegen means to get, and has the same overtone of - er - well, I doubt whether the Kaiser ever said it.
Old January 16, 2010, 04:30 PM
Diamond

Native Language: American English (Northeastern US)
laepelba is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by irmamar View Post
Don't you say "I have got a cold" instead "I have a cold" for "yo tengo un resfriado" (for instance)?. Or even: I've got some money, a house, etc. instead of using simply "have" (I have some money, a house, etc). I think "I've got" (you, he, etc.) is most used in BrE than in AmE
Here's some more about "have got": http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com...t-grammar.aspx

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicaDeAlquezar View Post
This is so wrong: I spent so many years trying to learn the uses and meanings of "to get" just to find native speakers find it lazy and inappropriate.

*crazy*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Don't despair, or toss your learning aside. We Americans have a love affair with the word.
Quote:
Whether it's "proper English" or not doesn't really have a bearing on whether you'll hear it in conversation

How many people say, "What did you receive for Christmas?" when asking about your gifts? Not many. It's always "What did you get for Christmas?"

I almost never hear, "It became cold last night." People say, "It sure got cold last night."

I'd agree that there's (almost) always a better word that can be used in place of "got", but that doesn't mean the word isn't used in their stead. And, to be honest, most of the time I don't have a problem with people saying it.
Agreed! The word get/got/etc. is used constantly in English......

Quote:
Originally Posted by chileno View Post
So, I guess you don't say you gotta go to the bathroom or assorted things like that?
"gotta" sorta bothers me.........

Here is a link to a list of English phrases that use "get/got", etc.: http://esl.about.com/od/vocabularyre...xpressions.htm
Old January 16, 2010, 05:52 PM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by laepelba View Post
Here's some more about "have got": http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com...t-grammar.aspx

Agreed! The word get/got/etc. is used constantly in English......
Are we dropping the ball? I know you meant to write "the word get/got/etc gets to be used constantly in English"

Quote:
"gotta" sorta bothers me.........

Here is a link to a list of English phrases that use "get/got", etc.: http://esl.about.com/od/vocabularyre...xpressions.htm
Never use it.

Thanks for the links.
Old January 16, 2010, 05:54 PM
Diamond

Native Language: American English (Northeastern US)
laepelba is on a distinguished road
Yeah, I keep the one about "have got" handy because it is one of my mother's pet peeves.
Old January 16, 2010, 05:58 PM
Diamond

Quote:
Yeah, I keep the one about "have got" handy because it is one of my mother's pet peeves.
The only time I use it like that is when asking "Have you gotten...?" or just the usual "do you have...?", come to think of it I have almost relinquished the use of "have you gotten" nowadays.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: