Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Practice & Homework
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Help with text 5

Practice Spanish or English here. All replies to a thread should be in the same language as the first post.

Old April 27, 2013, 03:39 PM
Pearl

Native Language: Hebreo
Caramelita is on a distinguished road
Help with text 5

Hola,

In the following text, should I have said rather "Cuando estás de viaje..." or should it be in sujunctive mode because of the word "cuando" ? Also, if I have any mistakes, please let me know.

Cuando estés de viaje, es importante que te laves las manos antes de que empieces a comer.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old April 28, 2013, 01:51 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
Perikles is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramelita View Post
Hola,

In the following text, should I have said rather "Cuando estás de viaje..." or should it be in sujunctive mode because of the word "cuando" ? Also, if I have any mistakes, please let me know.

Cuando estés de viaje, es importante que te laves las manos antes de que empieces a comer.
I'll try to answer:

1) The subjunctive is used with conjuctions of time when they refer to the future. So ¿te acuerdas de cuando éramos pequeños? but cuando se entere me mata

2) The subjunctive is not used if there is no change of subject and an infinitive can be used, so antes de empezar a comer or even antes de comer

3) It's subjunctive mood

Old April 28, 2013, 02:27 AM
Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perikles View Post
I'll try to answer:

1) The subjunctive is used with conjuctions of time when they refer to the future. So ¿te acuerdas de cuando éramos pequeños? but cuando se entere me mata

2) The subjunctive is not used if there is no change of subject and an infinitive can be used, so antes de empezar a comer or even antes de comer

3) It's subjunctive mood

So in this case the sentence should be : "Cuando estés de viaje, es importante que te laves las manos antes de que empiezas a comer" ?

Now im not so sure about the "Cuando estés".. because the english text says "When you ARE travelling"... so should it anyway be "cuando estés" or should it be "cuando estás de viaje" ? because its refering to present time..

Last edited by Caramelita; April 28, 2013 at 02:41 AM.
Old April 28, 2013, 03:20 AM
Diamond

Quote:
So in this case the sentence should be : "Cuando estés de viaje, es importante que te laves las manos antes de que empiezas a comer" ?

Now im not so sure about the "Cuando estés".. because the english text says "When you ARE travelling"... so should it anyway be "cuando estés" or should it be "cuando estás de viaje" ? because its refering to present time..
Er - did you read my thing about infinitive instead of subjunctive if there is no change of subject?

And "when you are travelling" does not refer to the present, but to the future, because it is "whenever" at an unspecified date. You are not travelling at the moment, it is a supposition about a possible future event.

I have a feeling that the English might have been a subjunctive as well, centuries ago, but since got lost. "Whenever you be travelling...." but I may be wrong (about everything ).
Old April 28, 2013, 04:23 AM
Pearl

Quote:
Er - did you read my thing about infinitive instead of subjunctive if there is no change of subject?

And "when you are travelling" does not refer to the present, but to the future, because it is "whenever" at an unspecified date. You are not travelling at the moment, it is a supposition about a possible future event.

I have a feeling that the English might have been a subjunctive as well, centuries ago, but since got lost. "Whenever you be travelling...." but I may be wrong (about everything ).

Oh, so " Cuando estés de viaje, es importante que te laves las manos antes de empezar a comer" .... so the subject here is "you-tú", right?

Uhm, so whenever I have a change in the subject like " (yo) No creo que (él) venga hoy" and "(yo) no creo que (nosotros) vengamos hoy" - I use the subjunctive.

And then if there is no change in subject: "(yo) Creo que voy a empezar a comer" ... and same in negative "(yo) No creo que voy a empezar a comer" .. I use the indicative. Is this correct?

So why is "Antes de que empiezas a comer" wrong? because there is no change in subject (tú), and I did use the indicative.

Could you please write the sentence correctly?

Last edited by Caramelita; April 28, 2013 at 04:40 AM.
Old April 28, 2013, 04:43 AM
Pearl

Oh and also "antes (de) que ..." is supposed to be in the subjunctive mood , isnt it so? so why shouldnt it then be "antes de que empieces a comer"?
Old April 28, 2013, 05:12 AM
Diamond

Quote:
Quote:
So why is "Antes de que empiezas a comer" wrong? because there is no change in subject (tú), and I did use the indicative.
Quote:
Oh and also "antes (de) que ..." is supposed to be in the subjunctive mood , isnt it so? so why shouldnt it then be "antes de que empieces a comer"?
I'm a bit baffled why you keep asking what I already explained in my quote above. There is no change of subject, so you use the infinitive, not the subjunctive. Nor the indicative either.
Old April 29, 2013, 11:43 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Spanish (Castilian, peninsular)
JPablo is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Cuando estés de viaje, es importante que te laves las manos antes de que empiecesempezar a comer.

I read what Perikles wrote and he is answering your questions correctly... although this can get really complex, it is actually simple.

You could say,

Antes de que empieces a comer, lávate las manos.

While your original sentence is not totally "incorrect", the "antes de que empieces a comer" indicates one specific moment, that is potentially happening very soon (if you were about to eat, you would need to wash your hands, but as a general rule, "whenever you need to start to eat, then wash your hands")

Tracking?
Old April 29, 2013, 11:48 AM
Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPablo View Post
Cuando estés de viaje, es importante que te laves las manos antes de que empiecesempezar a comer.

I read what Perikles wrote and he is answering your questions correctly... although this can get really complex, it is actually simple.

You could say,

Antes de que empieces a comer, lávate las manos.

While your original sentence is not totally "incorrect", the "antes de que empieces a comer" indicates one specific moment, that is potentially happening very soon (if you were about to eat, you would need to wash your hands, but as a general rule, "whenever you need to start to eat, then wash your hands")

Tracking?
Tracking Its all clear now. Thank you
Old April 29, 2013, 11:55 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Spanish (Castilian, peninsular)
JPablo is on a distinguished road
You're welcome.
(By the way, congratulations for your excellent level of Spanish and your dedication!)

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: