Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Practice & Homework

Requesting a Critique....

Practice Spanish or English here. All replies to a thread should be in the same language as the first post.

Old September 21, 2010, 11:18 PM
Ruby

Native Language: American English
Feliz is on a distinguished road
Reply to Thread

Rusty, Thank you for your critique of the sound file and for the encouragement.

That is a good idea you have of a native speak reading my letter--slowly.

I hope Irmamar and/or Sosia will be in a position to send a sound file of the letter.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old September 21, 2010, 11:20 PM
Señor Speedy

Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
You're welcome. I hope so, too. There are several others who are set up for sound.

I just sent you a PM.
Old September 22, 2010, 08:46 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
I've just done, but with my Spanish accent. If you don't mind I've made a few changes in your text:

¡Hola, María! ¿Cómo estás hoy? Estoy escribiendo en español en mi portátil. Mi español es muy malo, lo sé, pero estoy estudiando y aprendiendo cada día más. Mi marido está hablando por teléfono y te manda un saludo. Mis nietos están en la escuela. Nuestros perros están durmiendo debajo de la mesa de la cocina. Los caballos están comiéndose las flores del jardín otra vez. Y mi carro (o mi coche) está en el garaje... estropeado. Mi madre está en el hospital, pero ahora está mucho, mucho mejor. Eso es todo por ahora. Por favor, escribe pronto. Que tengas un buen día. Adiós.

Oh, I can't! I've recorded it in wav format and I'm not able to change it. The maximum allowed is 97,7 KB and mine is 153 KB.

Send me a PM with your email and I'll try to send you it by this way.
Old September 22, 2010, 10:10 AM
Ruby

Quote:
Originally Posted by irmamar View Post
I've just done, but with my Spanish accent. If you don't mind I've made a few changes in your text:

¡Hola, María! ¿Cómo estás hoy? Estoy escribiendo en español en mi portátil. Mi español es muy malo, lo sé, pero estoy estudiando y aprendiendo cada día más. Mi marido está hablando por teléfono y te manda un saludo. Mis nietos están en la escuela. Nuestros perros están durmiendo debajo de la mesa de la cocina. Los caballos están comiéndose las flores del jardín otra vez. Y mi carro (o mi coche) está en el garaje... estropeado. Mi madre está en el hospital, pero ahora está mucho, mucho mejor. Eso es todo por ahora. Por favor, escribe pronto. Que tengas un buen día. Adiós.

Oh, I can't! I've recorded it in wav format and I'm not able to change it. The maximum allowed is 97,7 KB and mine is 153 KB.

Send me a PM with your email and I'll try to send you it by this way.
Hola, irmamar, Estoy noted los cinco changes que you have made to la letra. Está perfecto ahora. Tengo just sent you a PM con mi e-mail address y looking forward to receiving the .wav file con the correct pronunciations de las palabras en Español.

Last edited by Feliz; September 22, 2010 at 08:50 PM.
Old September 22, 2010, 01:01 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feliz View Post
Hola, irmamar, Estoy noted cinco changes que you have made to la letra. Es perfecto ahora. Tengo just sent you a PM con mi e-mail address y looking forward to receiving the .wav file con the correct pronunciations de la palabras en Español.
Estoy anotando los cinco cambios que has hecho al texto. Está perfecto ahora. Acabo de enviarte un MP con mi dirección de correo electrónico y estoy deseando recibir el fichero .wav con la pronunciación correcta de las palabras en español.

Mejor que en espanglish.
Old September 22, 2010, 06:06 PM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
@Feliz: I thought you might have fun listening to different accents and different ways of saying the same.

I changed a couple of words to make it sound more natural as a Mexican would say it. It's not that different from Irma's proposal though.

Hidden Text: Show/Hide
Click to show hidden text - Da click para revelar el texto oculto

Attached Files
File Type: mp3
CartaAMaria.mp3 (772.0 KB, 128 views)  

Last edited by AngelicaDeAlquezar; September 22, 2010 at 06:12 PM.
Old September 22, 2010, 07:45 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Completely the post has some many mistakes, for they are acceptable at least for me.
I have seen some many mistakes, for I'm not very sure if the mistakes are directly from a translator or if you have wrote the post completely..

You're going for the good road, please continue improving it.
Old September 22, 2010, 10:33 PM
Ruby

Reply to Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicaDeAlquezar View Post
@Feliz: I thought you might have fun listening to different accents and different ways of saying the same.

I changed a couple of words to make it sound more natural as a Mexican would say it. It's not that different from Irma's proposal though.

Hidden Text: Show/Hide
Click to show hidden text - Da click para revelar el texto oculto
Angelica,

There is so much good stuff here I don't know where to begin. The sound file you provided is going to be very helpful to me. Of course I will have to use the pause/start buttons on my player a lot until I am able to speak more quickly. Your scrutiny of my e-mail to María makes a lot of sense to me and I will pay more attention to the regional differences of spoken and written Spanish from now on. I hope to improve my ability to communicate in Spanish with what you have suggested here. I greatly appreciate your input tonight. Gracias.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrOtALiTo View Post
Completely the post has some many mistakes, for they are acceptable at least for me.
I have seen some many mistakes, for I'm not very sure if the mistakes are directly from a translator or if you have wrote the post completely..

You're going for the good road, please continue improving it.
Crotalito,

Thank you for letting me know your honest opinion. To answer your question, I didn't use a translator. I just sat down and wrote an e-mail to María about whatever came into my head in that moment. In English that is called "stream-of-consciousness" writing. If I had used Google translator it would have had fewer mistakes--haha. Yes, I will keep trying to improve my reading, writing, listening, and speaking Spanish and English. It seems to get better with time.

Last edited by Feliz; September 23, 2010 at 08:33 AM. Reason: more accurate wording
Old September 23, 2010, 06:05 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feliz View Post
Angelica,

There is so much good stuff here I don't know where to begin. The sound file you provided is going to be very helpful to me. Of course I will have to use the pause/start buttons on my player a lot until I am able to speak more quickly. Your scrutiny of my e-mail to María makes a lot of sense to me and I will pay more attention to the regional differences of spoken and written Spanish from now on. I hope to improve my ability to communicate in Spanish with what you have suggested here. I greatly appreciate your input tonight. Gracias.

Crotalito,

Thank you for letting me know your honest opinion. To answer your question, I didn't use a translator. I just sat down and wrote an e-mail to María about whatever came into my head in that moment. In English that is called "stream-of-consciousness" writing. If I had used Google translator it would have had fewer mistakes--haha. Yes, I will keep trying to improve my reading, writing, listening, and speaking Spanish and English. It seems to get better with time.

Don't worry man.

The honesty is the best sometimes, and really if you need help with Spanish, then please don't hesitate to ask me, because I will be grateful and proud to do it.

Sincerely yours.
Old September 23, 2010, 08:32 PM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Another term for estropiado/descompuesto is averiado used by Caribbean
Spanish speakers. I would use no está funcionando, but I'm Anglo.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: