Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Practice & Homework

Spanish Translation Help Requested

Practice Spanish or English here. All replies to a thread should be in the same language as the first post.

Old August 17, 2020, 11:24 PM
Opal

Native Language: English
chococakerella is on a distinguished road
Spanish Translation Help Requested

Hello! I have translated a small passage from English to Spanish. If others could check over my grammar, wording, and such I would be very grateful. Here is the original text:

This is a very successful area of study with excellent job opportunities in multiple countries. You only need some training or certification after minimum education to enjoy these opportunities. Trying to make a wise choice while thinking about what careers are best for you is a hard thing to do. Your future may depend on the ways you find job opportunities in the world of work for you. Some people will feel that there is one and only one job in the world for them. A lot of thinking and a lot of work will help those people find the best job for them.

The development of the computer will help people with typing skills and make typing a necessity. Managers and secretaries will need typing skills to input data and process words. Therefore, good typing skills may be important to you.

My translation:

Esto es un muy exitoso área de estudio con trabajo oportunidades excellente en múltiple países. Usted tiene un poco formación o certificación antes educacione minime para disfrutar este oportunidades. Hace tomar una decisión prudente al pensar en que carreras es bien para su es una cosa difícil de hacer. Su futuro puede depender de las formas en que encuentra oportunidades en el mundo del trabajo. Algunas personas sentirán que solo hay una trabaja y una trabaja sola para ellos. Mucho pensamiento y mucho trabajo ayudará a esas personas a encontrar el mejor trabajo para ellos.

El desarrollo de la computadora ayudará a las personas con habilidades mecanográficas y hará que mecanografía una necesidad. Gerentes y secretaries necesitaran habilidades mecanográficas para ingresar datos y procesar palabras. Por lo tanto, bien habilidades mecanográficas pueden ser importantes para usted.

Muchas gracias por la ayuda!

(Edit: I realise that this post might belong in the "Practice and Homework forum, but I don't know how to move it there.)

Last edited by chococakerella; August 17, 2020 at 11:47 PM.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old August 18, 2020, 10:25 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Hi! Welcome to the forums!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chococakerella View Post
This is a very successful area of study with excellent job opportunities in multiple countries.
Esto es un muy exitoso área de estudio con trabajo oportunidades excellente en múltiple países.
I don't believe there's a reason to begin the Spanish sentence with esto. This is a neuter form of the demonstrative pronoun reserved for abstract nouns/ideas. The topic (in omitted material) must have had something to do with "the area of study" that you proceed to talk about, so it must be a particular thing instead. The appropriate demonstrative pronoun needs to agree in gender and number with that Spanish noun. If the topic was área, for example, esto would need to be changed to esta, because that is the singular feminine form.
Next, the adverb/adjective pair you chose needs to follow the word it modifies, so place the pair after área de estudio. (The phrase as a whole is being considered as the noun being modified.)
Now, let's look at the article that precedes área. Even though the feminine indefinite article 'una' is indicated for use with a feminine noun, there's a rule in Spanish that singular, feminine nouns beginning with a stressed 'a' sound take the masculine form of the article, so 'un' is correct! Note that this rule only applies to the article, and only when it immediately precedes the noun. If the plural form of the feminine noun is used, the special-case rule no longer applies.
After the topic (área de estudio), you now should fix the adjective in the adverb/adjective pair that I had you relocate. It can't be masculine, since the noun it modifies is feminine.
Next, I see that you've translated the English construction 'with job opportunities' as is. The preposition is correct! But the back-to-back nouns are not. In English, the first noun is modifying the second. What kind of opportunities? Job opportunities. Since 'job' is being used here to modify 'opportunities', it is called an adjunct by English grammarians (since it no longer functions as a noun). While this structure is perfectly good English, Spanish uses a different construction! To make it right, you need to place the adjunct after the second noun AND insert the preposition de in between the two nouns. I also think empleo is the better word to use instead of trabajo, but both are seen. So, con oportunidades de empleo (or oportunidades de trabajo) is what you should now have.
One word remains in the prepositional phrase; it's the adjective you correctly placed after the noun. However, you wrote excellente, a misspelling.
What is excellent? The opportunities are excellent. In Spanish, adjectives agree in gender and number with the noun they modify. The Spanish noun in this case is plural, and feminine. The adjective needs to agree, on both counts.
Finally, let's have a look at the last prepositional phrase. There you have a plural object of the preposition, países. Good job on the spelling!
You chose to use the adjective 'multiple' in English. You can use the equivalent in Spanish, but might I suggest that the meaning of 'several' or 'many' would be better communicated with a form of mucho? Whichever you choose, make sure it agrees in gender and number with the noun.

Whew!! That's all for now!

Have a look at your other sentences to see where improvements might be made based on the discussion above, and post a revision so that we can offer further help. Consider using the word empleo or trabajo throughout. That other word you chose isn't correct!

Last edited by Rusty; August 20, 2020 at 07:39 PM.
Old August 20, 2020, 08:40 PM
Opal

Native Language: English
chococakerella is on a distinguished road
Thank you! Lately I've been trying to challenge myself by finding real world texts in English and translating them. This was one of the bigger ones I found but I decided to try it out anyways. Most of the learning I've done for the past few years is online and there's really only so much that can be learnt with that when I haven't found someone to practice with. Thanks for the help, it's very detailed and insightful. I'll make sure to review my grammar properly before I give another attempt at this.
Old August 20, 2020, 09:14 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Glad to be of help.

Tags
help translate, spanish to english

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: