Old January 01, 2012, 04:22 PM
Opal

Native Language: Ingles
kokopellime is on a distinguished road
Hola mis nuevos amigos de un novato

As noted in the title of this post I'm a 'novato' or newbie to learning Spanish. I thought it a great idea to join this online community as a line in the sand as I begin a new journey of learning, especially as we begin a new year.

My first encounter with leaning another language other than English was back in the '60s when I was in junior (middle) school, where I took three years of French, only to be followed by three more in high (secondary) school. And what do I have to show for those years; well nada. I can say a few phrases and I remember the frustration of my efforts to learn grammar and vocabulary. It turned me off towards actually trying to learn French or any other language, yet it didn't quash my interest.

I had a short stint of exposure to what I'll term semi-immersion in Spanish back in my college years. I attended a progressive school, where many of the students were Latino. I took an introductory class where the teacher spoke to us entirely in the language. To keep things going, many of the other students, seeing us coming out of the class at the end of the period would speak to us in Spanish. I was only at that school for the one semester, transferring to another, out of state. It was a great experience, and though I didn't build any skills, I realized the value of living the language.

Well, here I am again, deciding to learn Spanish. I want to learn, because I love learning. I want to be able to widen my exposure to Latino culture(s) from an insiders' perspective. I want to hang out with my buddy Elena (originally from Columbia), watch some telenovelas, catch a película and order some comida. I also believe that leaning Spanish will aid in my outreach as a community organizer to a wider community.

Though new, I look forward to contributing to everyone in this comunidad.

Just a little FYI regarding "kokopellime", my online username. It in homage to my love for la flauta indígena americana del norte. If you've been to the southwest of the Estados Unidos, you would have encountered the Hopi kachina or character Kokopelli, the flute player; hence kokopelli + me.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old January 01, 2012, 05:20 PM
Pearl

Native Language: English
caliber1 is on a distinguished road
Very cool that you are starting over. I've been here for a while and the information is very valuable. I think you'll like it here. Bienvenido!
Old January 01, 2012, 09:20 PM
Sapphire

Native Language: US English
wrholt is on a distinguished road
Welcome, koko!

I see that you live in/near DC. My mother lived in the District for 20 years, from 1986 until 2005, and she also made a number of friends who are native speakers of Spanish; I met many of them several times during my visits to her there.

I also enjoy playing one of the traditional flutes, although in my case it's tin whistles (although most of mine are wood or plastic).

Last edited by wrholt; January 01, 2012 at 09:27 PM.
Old January 01, 2012, 10:32 PM
Pearl

Native Language: English
caliber1 is on a distinguished road
1986 was a good year. It was the year this really cool guy i know was born
Old January 01, 2012, 10:44 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
¡Bienvenido a los foros, tocador de flautas indígenas norteamericanas!
Old January 02, 2012, 12:20 AM
Opal

Native Language: Ingles
kokopellime is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the welcome. I do live in DC, but originally from NYC. I've played the bodhran (Irish frame drum) for a few years and recently picked up the penny whistle to learn the traditional tunes. Bodhrannii are sometimes accused of being so focused on their beats that they don't follow the tune nor other musicians in a seisun. I have African & Native American in my background and though there's a bit of European in the mix that's me, I don't know if there's any Gaelic. I love Irish Trad along with Native American traditional and contemporary music.
Old January 02, 2012, 09:55 AM
Sapphire

Native Language: US English
wrholt is on a distinguished road
A bodhran too? Gee, there's one of those sitting next to my whistles bag. And several sets of bones next to them. I can manage a basic beat on the drum, but the bones are a different story: I can manage a basic sound one handed, but I haven't practiced enough to get the timing to fit a tune or to do two sets at the same time.

I started contra dancing (New England traditional folk dancing) about 1988 and developed a love of the traditional dance music from that. I started jamming with friends a few years later; as I already knew how to play recorders, whistles were the natural thing for me to play. Bodhran and bones were attempts to take a break from melody. I haven't been to a seisun to play, but when I can't dance anymore that might be next on my list.
Old January 03, 2012, 12:26 PM
Ruby

mikemacabre is on a distinguished road
Bienvenido al foro kokopellime
Old January 03, 2012, 01:18 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
I bid you welcome, it's great you play several musical instruments, I like them more than the piano I like to play it, well I don't know exactly to play it, but I played that in my old times.

Well if you need something, I will grateful to help you.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: