Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Teaching and Learning Techniques

A very interesting site for language learners

Teaching methodology, learning techniques, linguistics-- any of the various aspect of learning or teaching a foreign language.

Old April 25, 2009, 11:48 AM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chileno View Post
Wait. You are right and you are wrong...

If you constantly speak like you want, and do not pay attention to being corrected, or how other people talk, and hence not even being keen at your own errors, then yes, it is detrimental, but believe me, the person does not care about improving in that language.

Ie:

I go to Burger King and ask: Me want hamburger. I am sure I am going to get a hamburger.

However, if after 20 years of being in the US I still use: me want hamburger, what gives?

How a normal person is not to listen to 20 more people before him/her asking for a hamburger in a 1000 other way?

"I'll have a hamburger", Let me have a hamburger.." etc... It beats me! So I leave that person alone. Simple.

Chileno. Me and my silly English, I can't overlook your post about it, and you are right, but I believe that the people speak as they wanna do, then, that if you don't keep in mind the hints of other people to speak well, then your language never will get better and never you will be able to speak or talk with anyone the language to way correct, I' liked your answer and your answer is very true in all, but I believe that you was very hard with the guy

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old April 25, 2009, 01:52 PM
Pearl

Native Language: English (USA)
tacuba is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chileno View Post
Ie:

I go to Burger King and ask: Me want hamburger. I am sure I am going to get a hamburger.
A bit off-topic, but you reminded me of something that always gives me a laugh. Where we live (in Mexico), there are quite a few extranjeros from the US and Canada, and the kids here have picked up on the tradition of Halloween (free candy you know). So when you answer the door on the night of Oct 31st, they all yell "QUEREMOS HALLOWEEN!!!" (instead of "trick or treat") Lots of laughs.

Voy a cambiar el tema un poco. Tu historia me recuerda de algo que siempre me da risa. Donde vivimos en Mexico, hay muchos extranjeros de EE.UU. y Canadá y los chicos han agarrado la onda de la tradición Halloween (dulces gratis por supuesto). Así que cuando abres la puerta en la noche de Octubre 31, todos ellos gritan "QUEREMOS HALLOWEEN!!!" (en vez de "trick or treat"). Mucha risa.

Last edited by tacuba; April 25, 2009 at 01:57 PM.
Old April 26, 2009, 07:58 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrOtALiTo View Post
Chileno. Me and my silly English, I can't overlook your post about it, and you are right, but I believe that the people speak as they wanna do, then, that if you don't keep in mind the hints of other people to speak well, then your language never will get better and never you will be able to speak or talk with anyone the language to way correct, I' liked your answer and your answer is very true in all, but I believe that you was very hard with the guy
And let me tell you, your english has improved a lot since I first met you in this forums, last February.

Same thing I can say of laepelba, as far as Spanish is concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacuba View Post
A bit off-topic, but you reminded me of something that always gives me a laugh. Where we live (in Mexico), there are quite a few extranjeros from the US and Canada, and the kids here have picked up on the tradition of Halloween (free candy you know). So when you answer the door on the night of Oct 31st, they all yell "QUEREMOS HALLOWEEN!!!" (instead of "trick or treat") Lots of laughs.

Voy a cambiar el tema un poco. Tu historia me recuerda de algo que siempre me da risa. Donde vivimos en Mexico, hay muchos extranjeros de EE.UU. y Canadá y los chicos han agarrado la onda de la tradición Halloween (dulces gratis por supuesto). Así que cuando abres la puerta en la noche de Octubre 31, todos ellos gritan "QUEREMOS HALLOWEEN!!!" (en vez de "trick or treat"). Mucha risa.

Haven't you noticed translation of names of English movies to Spanish?

"In the heat of the night" - TRAMPA MORTAL! (¿qué?)
Old April 26, 2009, 10:12 AM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
@Tacuba: when the children started to go out for candy in November 2nd (neither October 28 nor November 1st), they would sing "La calavera tiene hambre, ¿no hay un pancito por a'i?" ("the skull is hungry, isn't there a little piece of bread around?").
There used to be a longer song, but I can't remember it right now.) As the children grew lazy and their parents ignored traditions, they changed it for screaming what you've heard.

Same thing about the expression: they used to say "pedir calavera/calaverita" and now it's "pedir halloween".

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: